With or without a Hair?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm currently sat tying a load of hooks and the thought crossed my mind, why tie hooks without Hairs?

I use banded hairs a lot more than without so why not tie all with banded hairs and when I need a hook hairless then cut the hair off.

Does that make sense or am I missing something ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Depends on how far you want to fill your box. I tie both, with and without hair. Those with hair I tie some with a band and some with a quick-stop, depending on what I'm targeting. I don't use hook length boxes as I find they take up too much room in my bag (I tend to use a chair these days rather than a seat box). I put my tied hooks in glasseine envelopes marked accordingly with hook size/breaking strain and whether plain or haired, stop or band.

Total

Site Supporter
Just tie hooks to suit your fishing.....I tie mine with a banded hair (or quickstop) and remove as and when needed

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I tie half of my hooks with spade end so no hair possible, only really use eyed hooks for hairs.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
I must admit i do both banded and non. For some strange reason, occasionally I will cut the hair off and just nick the band with the hook, Seems to still catch but I do have both in the box.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It makes perfect sense mate and it reduces the number of hooks you have to tie, however, the tag end can be annoying but i'm a bit ocd. I have had a lot of success with a pellet in the band and a piece of corn on the hook.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just been reading some old threads on the topic, seems it possible but I wouldn't know how.

I do my spades with a matchman tyer and eyed with a knotless knot.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I tie all my method hook links with a band and will nip it off to use maggot

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Tie the spade hook as usual, but leave a longer tag, then put a loop in the tag for the hair. Sounds easy, and it is...it's just fiddly.
I think you must have teenagers fingers Pete :cool:

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
The only downside is that eyed hooks tend to have thicker gauge wire so can affect presentation/bite ratio.

I have done it in emergencies but prefer to use spades when hook baits directly on the hook