Wisdom tooth removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince G

Hop Along
As some of you are aware I've been suffering a lot of pain from a wisdom tooth for the past 7 weeks. To be honest my dentist is bl**dy useless, i'm only registered with them as I couldn't find one when my original dentist went private. It's been impossible to get an appointment. asshole3.gif

After 3 visits to the emergency dentist and 4 courses of antibiotics to clear up an infection I finally got an appointment last thursday. The dentist took one look and said "I'll have to send you to hospital to have that removed as it's totally rotten and I can't guarantee I can get it all out" "I'll write to them but it might be a little while before you get an appointment". I asked him what he meant by "quite a while" and he said "6-7 months" teeth.gif teeth.gif

Bearing in mind I haven't had a good nights sleep in 7 weeks because of the tooth, I'll be like the walking dead by the time it comes out.

mibut

If this is NHS, ask how much to have done privately, should be able to get it sorted in a couple of days at most.[:)]

chris w

pc problem solver
if its that bad go to youre local hospital they will get a hospital orthodontist to take a look and bump you up the list quicker if need be just pile it on and tell them you cant cope with the pain and the tablets dont help

Jen

Made in Yorkshire
Feel sorry for you vg, there's nothing much worse than toothache [:(] the best pain relief I have used in the past was Codis, I think you can only buy it at the chemists [;)]

pegasus

benny
i had all 4 removed when i was 20 it was a relief to not be suffering but the op was a little uncomfortable but it did get me R and R for a few week

its_lazarus

a reliable friend
friend at work had a filling done on nhs cost 85.

I went to see my local dentist on a saturday who was fully booked but as my girlfriend was in pain he would see her as private within the hour. she had exam, x-ray, extraction, medication. How much are you thinking?
65![:0] Cheap imo

mibut

65! Cheap imo
Our dentist went totally private 3 or 4 years ago and seems to me that not only do you get a better service its also cheaper

struggler

solemn chops
hi vg1037,
I was quoted up to 1500 to have a normal molar removed in a private hospital!!!!
I just kept taking the antibiotics and had a spare course just in case and used antiseptic mouth wash twice a day minimum.
All because, same as you they refused to take it out in the chair so i had to wait for a hospital appointment about 9 months.
Out of interest is the appointment in 6-7 months for the removal or the consultation?
I was a bit peed after finally getting in the hospital chair only for him to look at it and make another appointment,another 3 months!!
I do honestly hope you don't have to wait as long as i did as i know looking at the clock all night is one of the worst things ever!!!!!
It was worth it in the end though, and it probably only took him a couple of minutes to remove it!!!
Good luck
Tony

mibut

Just a thought, as you live in Kent is it possible to nip across the channel and get treatment in France.

CLICK HERE

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
When I lived in Bristol VG in your situation I could just nip into the Dental Hospital and as long as I was prepared to wait they would see me there and then.
Its dental students doing the job (under supervision) but they never killed me in several visits.
Is it not the same around you ???
Bristol is a very big student city and that may make a difference I suppose.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
"Wisdom" finally came to me at the age of 53, with three impacted wisdom teeth suddenly making an appearance.

Like Vince, I was told that I was likely to be in for a six-month wait, but after a month, the pain was making my life a misery and disrupting my work, just as our company was going through a difficult patch.

So I decided to go private and get it sorted. 1300. [:(]

The difference between NHS and private treatment was, frankly, disgraceful.

I'd seen a consultant on the NHS who barely looked at me and spoke to me like I was something sticking to the sole of his shoe.

This time I walked past the waiting crowds of the sick and the ailing, to his private consulting rooms, the same consultant immediately held the door open to greet me, shook my hand and offered me coffee.

Two days later I went under the general anaesthetic, and 30 minutes after coming round I was having a cup of tea and a sandwich. An hour later I was on my way home, totally pain-free.

If you can possibly afford it, go for private. Even if it goes against your principles.

Vince G

Hop Along
Struggler,

I'm guessing the 6 month wait is for a consultation as the letter just said "Can you please see this patient and treat as necessary". No mention of the wisdom tooth at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.