Wire trace - what to use

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
I have been dropshorting and light jigging for a few years now, in the London canals. Since we moved out of London earlier in the year, to the Noth Kent coast, my selection of available water has increased dramatically. I am now planning on having a go at catching some larger predators on the lure, such as pike. I alrady use light wire traces but I think I will need something a bit more substantial. Fellow member and mate of mine, DFL on here, uses a braided wire (?) that is flexible enough to tie using conventional knots, I am not too bothered about that, but was just wondering what others use, both material and length. I am more than happy to crimp, wind or tie the trace, but I don't really want to buy ready made.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ralph.

DFL

Site Supporter
That “braided wire” is Cannelle Wondertress Ralph, you’ll be lucky to find stock anywhere but Supatress is still available and every bit as good.

knot2kinky also worth consideration.

squimp

Site Supporter
Any decent braided wire around 20 - 40 lb will do the job for pike and zander Fishing with normal sized lures. I have used Drennan, steelstrand, AFW and others - they all work.

then either get an ET twiddling stick (or similar) and learn how to ‘twiddle’ wire or use single barrel crimps. Put a swivel or oval ring at the top of the trace (12” minimum) and a decent clip at the lure end.

with crimps you need the narrowest possible to accommodate the wire 3 times (put crimp on wire, put wire thru swivel eye and back thru’ crimp, then form a small loop in the end of the wire and tuck it back into the crimp, adjust the size of the loop at the swivel and then compress the crimp). use a basic crimping tool designed for that type of crimp (not cup to cup pliers designed for double crimps).

give the trace a good test before you use it and then bin it once it gets twisted up by fish (you can recycle the swivel and clip).

for really large lures the ‘go to‘ is a heavy single strand wire - but that is irrelevant for ‘normal’ lure fishing. Similarly don’t be tempted to use fluorocarbon instead of wire.

hope this helps