Wintersett/Cold Hiendley/Botany - how are they fishing?

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I haven't fished the complex in a long time and it was somewhat hard going unless you knew exactly where to be. I gather it's a day ticket water now, with rights owned by a Facebook syndicate.

Back in the day (early 90's) we used to night fish the main lake and botany bay. The old miner John used to come around on his moped for the coal board, white helmet and all, and take a couple of quid. In return he'd let us have fires for a BBQ and set up a small bivvy, so as young teenagers we'd often make a long weekend of it. We had some very good catches at both lakes but also many blank days.

Never had much luck at Cold Hiendley as it was either always covered in algae or full of trash. My personal best from cold hiendley was a honda cub 90 (minus engine) on 10lb mono near the dam end...took 4 of us to pull it out.

How's it doing these days? Does anyone still fish it? The few times I've driven past I haven't seen much and the parking area on the main lake seems to have been locked off which seems a bit daft, as half the point of the lake was that you could access it easily by car for night fishing.

fredradac

Site Supporter
Hi Martin, have a look at the thread on here that's listed below for Wintersett Res started Oct15, 2018