Winter.

jimbo1946

Well lads what,s your opinion.We are in Autumn but it is getting colder.Are the commercial still responding to giving em plenty or is it time to cut back the feed and scale down.Always struggle to decide this time of year.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Fished my local commercial style club snake lake last Thursday. Normally I can feed heavily all year round because the lake is predominantly pleasure fished and the fish seem to be hungry. Due in part I suspect because on the whole pleasure anglers don't feed as much as match anglers. Thursday I had to cut way back on the feed in order to get consistent bites.

Yesterday at Decoy a similar thing happened and it took me too long to get my feeding suitably adjusted.

Both lakes registered a temperature of over 12 degrees, normally a sign to me that the fish would not yet be in full Winter mode, yet they seemed to be.

As always this time of year you have to be particularly observant as to the fish's reaction to feed.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I took three decent carp in the first 15 minutes of our match yesterday, on bomb & hair-rigged pellet across to a bay on the opposite bank.
Then catapulted a couple of pouches of 6mm pellets over the top, a tactic which has done well for me this year.
And killed the swim stone dead.
It took a couple of hours for the fish to return, then I did ok by putting in just 2 or 3 pellets every half hour or so.

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
Went to my local club lake yesterday and the F1's were hungry, had to top up a cad pot of micros every put in. Bites died if I stopped feeding

Rick

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I fished a cold morning on one of our club waters last week. Was feeding micros & fishing 6mm pellet on the hook but was pestered with small Rudd. Couldn't even get the pellet to the spot I was fishing.
Switched to feeding hemp with corn on the hook and had a few decent tench, crucians & bigger rudd. Seems like the "summer fish" are still feeding although I didn't put tons of bait in.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s been so wet and windy round here that autumn fishing has been none existent for me so far as my last session was mid September so was still summer then really. Got a couple days off for fishing Thursday and Friday this week as it’s driving me nuts not going so hopefully at least one of those days wont be too bad. It’s been my longest break between sessions in a good couple years so getting a bit of cabin fever with it now.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Went to Sessay on Saturday and fished poplars and started on a small cad pot and waited 10 mins for my first fish a small skimmer.
Fed another small cad pot and the F1s turned up and fed a small cad pot every third fish, which built the swim up nicley until I bumped something bigger and the swim went dead.
Had to open up another swim at 14mtrs but the fish were smaller but they kept coming.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our club waters are not stocked with F1's at all and there doesn't appear to be any slow down on feed (yet). Those that fish matches both on a Saturday and Tuesday are saying you still need 30 to 35lb just to frame. One chap last Saturday had 21lb 9oz..and didn't even get a section win.
I'm not sure if it's because the lakes are sheltered, or if it's because they are spring fed but the fish are still up for it.

Last edited:

jimbo1946

Our club waters are not stocked with F1's at all and there doesn't appear to be any slow down on feed (yet). Those that fish matches both on a Saturday and Tuesday are saying you still need 30 to 35lb just to frame. One chap last Saturday had 21lb 9oz..and didn't even get a

ukzero1

Site Supporter
We have Carp to 30lb, but on matches nobody goes for them.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Probably too many smaller carp to best them too the bait.Sorry about the screwed up reply earlier.Broke my glasses!

Not at all. I have just come back from bailiff duties and out of the 2 lakes there's only 1 person fishing. He's catching some good Roach, Bream, Ide even a Barbel and a couple of Tench, all on chopped worm and caster with some hemp thrown in now and again. So the fish are still up for it.