Winter Weirpool Chub and Barbel

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo nice to get bites would of like some better quality might try just hemp next time on the whip a la @Barbelcatcher bet I dont have his success. But I'll report what does happen even if I blank.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Its all down to perseverance and confidence - have always been a hemp and tare person in the Trent, since I was a teenager. Can remember some days not getting a bite for several hours. Most people if taking other bait would have switched to that. That to me confuses somewhat the fish. Numerous examples of a few bites in the first 2 hours - both in the Trent, Nene and Welland, then a bumper session once they switched on. My first real pond fishing with hemp, was at Hartsholme lake in Lincoln. Was feeding it as an attractor for bream etc., and just decided to put a bit on the hook, it immediately sorted out the better roach. Feeding is the key - often and little with no pause. Too often I see a handful being thrown out and no further offerings for 20 minutes. Ok if you are placing a carpet for Carp, but not really good enough for roach.

Shame you are so far away Mr Fugley, or we could meet up.

Looked at some still water near you - seem mostly fir big Carp at £40 per day - that would buy me a season ticket here in the Midlands.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
We are NOT spoilt here only a few small commercial some club ponds and the river or it's an hour plus in the car, hemp on river worked till the end of September maybe first week of October, I did keep putting on the odd grain but nothing, earlier in the year that's all they wanted on the river in fact it was the best bait to stop the small roach n rudd.

I've now stopped feeding hemp on it's own along with most loose feed they just dont seem to respond without groundbait, so all loose feed is incorporated into groundbait. That's when the river retun to more normal state at the moment it's high and will remain so for another week at least. I'm going to try hemp on Thursday at my club pond @Barbelcatcher hemp hemp and more hemp.