Winter Weirpool Chub and Barbel

AdamRussell93

I really wouldn’t worry so much about conditions mate. Provided it’s not so high that you can’t fish safely, hold bottom or run a float through or it’s so windy you can’t present a bait it’s always worth a go, well provided you can stand whatever the weather is ?

Obviously you’ll generally do better in good conditions but you’ll have many a good day in less than ideal conditions as well. Got to be in it to win it ??
I’ll fish in rain all day long no bother, but strong winds for me are a no go I hate it. I doubt the rivers going to be high but we’ve got rain forecast for the next week or so but it’s going to be cold aswell so that will be interesting.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ll fish in rain all day long no bother, but strong winds for me are a no go I hate it. I doubt the rivers going to be high but we’ve got rain forecast for the next week or so but it’s going to be cold aswell so that will be interesting.
Yeah I despise the wind as well, just makes everything hard work and uncomfortable doesn’t it!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I knew it was going to be cold today, but when i stepped outside this morning there was no frost on the ground, a good sign. I don't think temperatures got above 5c but I haven't been feeling the cold since buying a new suit and boots. This weir is shaded throughout the day at this time of year as the sun doesn't manage to rise above the trees, but a foggy start was welcome, even if it cleared later.

I spent all day from 8.30am to 4pm at my favourite spot. Image from the film Shy People 1987, a decent likeness that reminds me of this spot.

shypeople.jpg

And with a decent Tangerine Dream soundtrack to boot.

It's become quite a special place to me, not only for the fishing, but a quiet spot to go and chill.

Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 16.43.58.png

Bit of a random poem, but about a special place.

So armed with 2 pints of mixed maggots and the usual maggot feeder tactics as described in the first post, I made my first cast. A small Chub was hooked and managed to do me in a snag on the inside bank. Casting out again I had another small Chub on the second cast. Third cast, smashed maggots. Fourth cast another small Chub. Both under a pound and pictured below.

2020-12-08 08.41.26.jpg 2020-12-08 08.50.01.jpg

They were both spewing up maggots, a good sign that my feeder was working. At this point I wondered whether I should set up a float rod, given there was seemingly a few small fish about, but I decided they were not the usual bits, but slightly bigger and would likely tail off as the day got lighter.

I started on a size 14 Guru Kaizen. Quite a big hook for it's size. And having a few missed bites on the next few casts, I decided to switch down to a size 14 Drennan Wide Gape Match.

It was probably another hour before another Chub, this time 2lb, was in the net.

2020-12-08 09.56.22.jpg

It hadn't gone quiet as such, I could tell there were still fish milling about, I think I had 3 more small Chub the same size as the first two, but no bigger fish were showing. 50 minutes later when I hooked a hard fighting small Perch, probably only 12oz but made a good account of itself.

2020-12-08 10.53.21.jpg

This was likely to be a sign the shoal of Chub had disappeared. The fog had lifted and the sky was now blue.

I wasn't sure how things were going to go from now on. It seemed as though the Chub had moved on. When 15 minutes later I had a proper bite and hooked a fish that just held in the flow before characteristically going on a few runs. It was a small Barbel of 3lb 11oz.

2020-12-08 11.06.08.jpg

I'd said before the Barbel don't fight as hard on the tackle I use on the weir, but this one was a good scrap despite its modest size. A couple of casts later I hooked another Barbel, probably around the same size, when the hooklength gave up the ghost under not much pressure, gutted... it must have been compromised somehow but that's how it goes sometimes.

I was running out of my 2 pints of maggots at this time, so a quick call to my dad to ask him to swing by the tackle shop to pick another pint of maggots so I could fish on, as I wanted another Barbel.

It went quiet again after that, and wondering if I'd spooked the shoal of Barbel and everything else in the peg, the tip went round and another small Chub that same size as the first was in the net. It was a good hour and half later when I hooked something decent again, a 2.5lb Chub this time.

2020-12-08 12.45.06.jpg

It doesn't make for a pretty picture, but you can see all the spewed up maggots, every Chub I caught today was spewing up maggots, a good sign.

I then hooked another decent Chub and the hook pulled. A cast or two later another decent Chub, probably the best of the day, and it shot downstream and then did me in an inside snag. Unfortunate but almost part and parcel of fishing such a peg sometimes.

The last fish of the day came at 14.50, another Barbel, this time back on Kaizen hooks, and weighing in a modest 3lb 8oz.

2020-12-08 14.50.54.jpg

I fished on until 4pm still getting the odd knock but nothing substantial.

I hadn't set any targets for myself today, not knowing what to expect with the cold weather, but as I ended up with 8 Chub (only 2 over 1lb), 2 Barbel and a Perch, I was quite pleased. The Barbel seem to be a fixture here now, and you never know, a big one could swim along at any moment . :LOL: Here's hoping the fish hang around over Winter as I love it here.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
We’ll done again ?? Just remarkable how consistent you are in that spot!

Weighing up whether to go myself tomorrow, hard to motivate myself when it’s a certain struggle in these temperatures. Might wait until the weekend when it’s a bit warmer but will see how I feel in the morning.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers! It's a consistent spot for sure!

A cyclist stopped for a chat at one point and said he'd got back into fishing since losing his job during lockdown and wanted to start fishing rivers, said he'd seen a few people here and wanted to know what's it's like. I told him it's spot on as there always seems to be fish here, whereas I said the Severn is good but a bit less predictable at this time of year. Hopefully you hit it right when you do get out!

One thing I'll mention about today, my usual trusty worms I use here aren't working at the moment, maggot seems to be the bait, maybe the fish just want a snack at this time of year and don't want a proper worm for lunch. :LOL:

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Good work mate, I was on the stour (dorset) today had about 7-8 pound of roach biggest just under a pound, think I could of done better if I had balled in some ground bait from the start. But was happy being in the sun without a breath of wind trotting the float :cool:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers mate. Sounds like you had a good day too! I love river Roach. They only show up in this pool occasionally and seem to follow the little Chublets that come in and out of the pool. I've not tried groundbait here, only Bread Mash, though I did have the idea of maybe prebaiting it with some pellets during closed season to ween the fish onto them as I doubt they see that many, then I might have a secret bait to use there! :LOL:

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Lol worms tend to loose there appeal when it gets colder they seem to here anyway, problem with ground bait on a peg like your weir you don't really know where it will end up, I'm sure someone has tried pellets there, im not surprised there are fish there all year round high oxygen and probably a touch warmer in winter. The biggest roach today was not pretty Mark's all over it and half one gill cover missing why I never took any pictures. Have you tried a ground bait feeder chopped worm or pellets in the mix.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Lol I've just made a thread in Bait Talk about Worms in Winter before I saw your post. I agree that the groundbait will probably end up downstream. Like I say though, with the maggot feeder it is a good sign that the Chub are spewing up the bait when caught as it means the bait is getting to them and not just getting washed away. I also seem to have a knack for catching the most battle scarred fish! Natural baits do seem to work best on this place as I think that's what the fish are used too before they reach the pool, though a lot of people do fish meat and bread there.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Chubb will follow a maggot trail right to the feeder, greedy buggers but like you say it works to draw them in and you know it's worked.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Another cracking net of fish there Zerkalo! Good to see the barbel still feeding in the cold as well.

I have to say that my experience with Chub coughing up maggots is the opposite of your happiness, IME it's usually a sign that you've caught most of the feeding shoal (as the remaining fish can mop up a lot of loose feed each). That's floatfishing and loose feeding, so perhaps different on the feeder.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks mate and that's an interesting assessment, food for thought (no pun intended haha). I think here it's probably due to a small shoal in the first place but could be wrong!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is my fishing spot during lockdown now, and after a fairly productive end to last year with a fair few Barbel showing alongside the Chub, I fished after the snow had gone through last week and blanked. This meant hopes weren't too high for today even though some slightly warmer rain water has gone through over the last few days. In fact, today was always going to be hit and miss if I could actually fish as the river covered the fishable banks yesterday afternoon. When I got there this morning it had dropped about 2 or 3 foot but was still high, rushing through, and mud coloured.

I started off on maggot as that was all I had with me, a couple of pints. I had a nagging feeling the water was too coloured and a bigger bait would be better so mentioned to my dad.

"Probably should have brought some meat and worms!"

He replied,

"I'll bring you some and a bacon sandwich"

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

About 9.30am he came down with said supplies and asked if I had a bite yet.

"No bites, yet" I replied, "Hopefully those worms will tempt them".

"That's a bite" he said as he watched my quiver tip dance about in the turbulent flow. He does this a lot when fishing too, strikes at most movements on the tip even when it's just the flow.

"It's just the flow", I said.

"No. That one's a proper bite", he replied just as I was taking a bite of the bacon sandwich. And out of the corner of my eye, all credit to him, it did look like a proper bite, so I lifted the rod and wound in but the maggots weren't touched.

"Good luck". my dad said as he left as I recast this time with two worms on the hook.

The rod was in for a few minutes when I had a decent bite, missed it, wound in and found the worms had been chewed. A good sign I thought, so text my dad letting him know the worms were working and there was at least a fish there.

I spent the rest of the morning alternating between worms and meat without a bite, so switched back to maggots about 1pm. It took 45 minutes before I had a bite and struck into what initially felt like a small chub until I had it under the rod tip, definitely a Barbel, however small.

2021-01-17 13.45.15.jpg

Yes! I hadn't blanked! The Barbel was probably only 2lb but very welcome.

I carried on with maggot until it started to get dark. I had one really sharp bang on the tip, as though a bird had flew into the line (has happened to me before) but I'm sure it was a bite, but when I wound in the feeder was snagged so maybe that had something to do with it.

Now I have a theory... I think the Chub have left the pool. I think they left when all the snow water came through, when the river was high, they have migrated to other areas of the river as I think if they were still in the pool I would have had some signs today. Whereas I think the Barbel stayed in the pool when the river was up but are just slower to start feeding again than the Chub. That's the theory anyway.

When the light started to fade I thought I would try double worm again, so reached into my worm tub only to find just one dendrobaena left. This was to be my last cast, one worm on the hook, hoping for a wrap around bite to end the day but it never happened.

All in all, I'm happy not to have blanked on a day when I expected to, and even a micro Barbel was very welcome, but I can only hope for some kind weather over the next few weeks to fill the pool back with feeding fish again.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Glad you caught mate, went to my club pond, had 50 roach nothing over 4 oz, river had about 2ft on so give it a miss.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Glad you caught tried one of the club ponds for a couple of hours never had a bite colour of mud just went to get rid of old bait more rain here from Tuesday now dont mind getting cold not so keen getting wet all day

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Glad you caught mate, went to my club pond, had 50 roach nothing over 4 oz, river had about 2ft on so give it a miss.

Cheers, sounds like you had a busy day bite wise at least. I think I had 3 all day.

Glad you caught tried one of the club ponds for a couple of hours never had a bite colour of mud just went to get rid of old bait more rain here from Tuesday now dont mind getting cold not so keen getting wet all day
Cheers, and I'm the same about fishing in rain, could do without rain as I'm only fishing on this river and it goes up and down like a yoyo, but it does seem forecast here too!