Winter Weirpool Chub and Barbel

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers! Hope you manage to get out sooner or later @Northantslad

@Barbel seeker I love this river, the Worcs Stour, but have only ever caught fish on it from this pool! Must try some other stretches when conditions are right as I do hear about fish coming out. The Severn will always be a second home too though!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo .......Well done Mr Zerkalo...;)......Should have changed your hook after the first lost chub...;):love:

Cheers! I will say it was a new hook, Drennan Wide Gape Match, as I'd just lost one to a snag. I quite like the pattern, micro barbed as well, but definitely something going on there, maybe a duff one! :unsure: 3 in a row haha was kicking myself. Bet they went and spooked the other fish too...

Total

Site Supporter
Cheers! I will say it was a new hook, Drennan Wide Gape Match, as I'd just lost one to a snag. I quite like the pattern, micro barbed as well, but definitely something going on there, maybe a duff one! :unsure: 3 in a row haha was kicking myself. Bet they went and spooked the other fish too...

No excuses....;):whistle:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No worries, I've fished it for a couple of years now and it used to be a Chub hotspot for me, but just recently there seems to be as many Barbel in there and they might have pushed some of the bigger Chub out. Other times it is full of small fish. That's the magic of rivers I guess!

I was only thinking today, Barbel are great not only because they fight hard but they're not particularly snag inclined and always seem to get a good hook hold with them. That's what makes me say the fish I lost were probably Chub, could have been Perch, or even small Barbel but more likely Chub!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Brilliant stuff again mate! Was still pretty cold today wasn’t it in the fog thought it would be a bit warmer.

Had my first blank today in nearly 2 years after setting my stall out for chub. My grandad got 2 but neither went a pound. I probably could have saved the blank by doing my usual trotting but was too cold to have hands out the pockets all day! That said the guy in the swim I caught fairly well from last weekend only had a few fish trotting so maybe was just hard regardless of tactics today ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice one!

I had my Skeetex and Daiwa Suit on today with layers underneath so it felt comfortable at least. Recent sessions here make me think I should have respected local knowledge more when everyone says there are Barbel in there. As after almost 2 years of fishing it and only getting Chub until recently I was beginning to wonder!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice one!

I had my Skeetex and Daiwa Suit on today with layers underneath so it felt comfortable at least. Recent sessions here make me think I should have respected local knowledge more when everyone says there are Barbel in there. As after almost 2 years of fishing it and only getting Chub until recently I was beginning to wonder!
Is interesting how the barbel have randomly turned up isn't. Fishing can be cyclical like that I guess.

Can't say I was too cold in myself today just my hands got really cold setting up the heavy fog and I never got them warm again. Could tell how much moisture was in the air as I could hear the power lines crackerling all day even though they were a fair way down the bank.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is interesting how the barbel have randomly turned up isn't. Fishing can be cyclical like that I guess.

Can't say I was too cold in myself today just my hands got really cold setting up the heavy fog and I never got them warm again. Could tell how much moisture was in the air as I could hear the power lines crackerling all day even though they were a fair way down the bank.

I read your post when you could feel the power lines down the rod if I remember right! :unsure:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
My car was in for its MOT today at 8 o'clock. So with the day off work, I decided to make the most of it and fish the weir. It was going to be a cold one but I wrapped up warm and wore my new Skeetex boots for the first time so it never felt too bad, but I had a feeling the fishing might be difficult. I set myself a reasonable target of 3 Chub, not expecting much that would have been enough for me at this time of year. The river wasn't too low at the weir, though the other stretches looked it, and it was quite clear but with a lot of 'foam' on the top. The sun never really raised its head throughout the day either which probably helped.

I was set up around 830 and fished through to 315 when it was time to go and pick up my car. Armed with a 1.25lb Greys TXL Rod, 4000 Shimano DL Bait Runner loaded with 6lb Korum Expert line to an 0.16 Stroft hooklength and size 14 Drennan Wide Gape Match hook, I fished a 50g Black Cap maggot feeder and bunches of maggot on the hook. So my usual tactics and here's a video of my peg, my usual cotch now, the downstream peg of 2...

View attachment IMG_9126.m4v

Expecting it to be fairly instantaneous with the Chub, I got a bite on around the 4th cast and a small 2lb Chub was in the net.

2020-11-27 08.49.18.jpg

Actually it fought quite well, started off as though the feeder was slightly snagged but pulled itself free and I said to myself "this must be a Barbel".

Not a bad start really. It usually starts fairly instant and then tails off but at least I hadn't blanked.

About 20 minutes later I had another bite. This time I said to myself "this must be a Chub". Shows how much I know as it turned out to be a hard fighting Perch around 1lb.

2020-11-27 10.13.15.jpg

About 50 minutes later I poured myself a coffee and looked down for a second to put the cup down, and when I looked back up, the butt of my rod was in the air and heading downstream. This time I got it right when I said to myself, "this must be a Barbel". A fairly short but good fight later (I love playing fish in running water, especially this snaggy peg) and a 4lb Barbel was in the net.

2020-11-27 10.54.23.jpg

I now had 3 fish, which was my target and one of them was a much appreciated Barbel, so I was quite happy, but it went quiet as expected after this fish. I was still get lots of little dinks and odd liners which kept my interest, I was sure there were still a few fish milling about, but it wasn't until 13:40 I hit another bite and it turned out to be a small Chub of maybe 12oz.

2020-11-27 13.43.43.jpg

I fished on until it was time to go and pick up my car, still hoping for another 3ft twitch, but it never materialised. Decent bite on what turned out to be my penultimate cast but no more fish. So all in all quite pleased, the Barbel made the day really, and my car has passed its MOT having only failed on a brake light and a bush which have been sorted out now. (y)
Nice report and lovely day out Zerkalo. Looks to be a lively swim ,different species to keep you interested.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I read your post when you could feel the power lines down the rod if I remember right! :unsure:
Was far enough away today but yeah I could feel them a couple pegs over about a month back, I'm definitely not sitting there again! Some guy was sat there today but he had rods on alarms so out of harms way I guess.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice report and lovely day out Zerkalo. Looks to be a lively swim ,different species to keep you interested.

Thanks mate. Nothing wrong with fishing the same spot all the time especially when there's different fish to keep me interested. It's just down the road from me so a nice easy and cheap day out for me. I almost lost interest in there for a while when I had the same Chub 4 times in two sessions but it seems to have gone through a bit of a cycle and refreshed itself over the second half of this year!

Was far enough away today but yeah I could feel them a couple pegs over about a month back, I'm definitely not sitting there again! Some guy was sat there today but he had rods on alarms so out of harms way I guess.

Does sound pretty dangerous! Always best to be careful! :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Right that’s it, I’m out next weekend regardless of the conditions.
I really wouldn’t worry so much about conditions mate. Provided it’s not so high that you can’t fish safely, hold bottom or run a float through or it’s so windy you can’t present a bait it’s always worth a go, well provided you can stand whatever the weather is ?

Obviously you’ll generally do better in good conditions but you’ll have many a good day in less than ideal conditions as well. Got to be in it to win it ??