Winter Weirpool Chub and Barbel

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My car was in for its MOT today at 8 o'clock. So with the day off work, I decided to make the most of it and fish the weir. It was going to be a cold one but I wrapped up warm and wore my new Skeetex boots for the first time so it never felt too bad, but I had a feeling the fishing might be difficult. I set myself a reasonable target of 3 Chub, not expecting much that would have been enough for me at this time of year. The river wasn't too low at the weir, though the other stretches looked it, and it was quite clear but with a lot of 'foam' on the top. The sun never really raised its head throughout the day either which probably helped.

I was set up around 830 and fished through to 315 when it was time to go and pick up my car. Armed with a 1.25lb Greys TXL Rod, 4000 Shimano DL Bait Runner loaded with 6lb Korum Expert line to an 0.16 Stroft hooklength and size 14 Drennan Wide Gape Match hook, I fished a 50g Black Cap maggot feeder and bunches of maggot on the hook. So my usual tactics and here's a video of my peg, my usual cotch now, the downstream peg of 2...

View attachment IMG_9126.m4v

Expecting it to be fairly instantaneous with the Chub, I got a bite on around the 4th cast and a small 2lb Chub was in the net.

2020-11-27 08.49.18.jpg

Actually it fought quite well, started off as though the feeder was slightly snagged but pulled itself free and I said to myself "this must be a Barbel".

Not a bad start really. It usually starts fairly instant and then tails off but at least I hadn't blanked.

About 20 minutes later I had another bite. This time I said to myself "this must be a Chub". Shows how much I know as it turned out to be a hard fighting Perch around 1lb.

2020-11-27 10.13.15.jpg

About 50 minutes later I poured myself a coffee and looked down for a second to put the cup down, and when I looked back up, the butt of my rod was in the air and heading downstream. This time I got it right when I said to myself, "this must be a Barbel". A fairly short but good fight later (I love playing fish in running water, especially this snaggy peg) and a 4lb Barbel was in the net.

2020-11-27 10.54.23.jpg

I now had 3 fish, which was my target and one of them was a much appreciated Barbel, so I was quite happy, but it went quiet as expected after this fish. I was still get lots of little dinks and odd liners which kept my interest, I was sure there were still a few fish milling about, but it wasn't until 13:40 I hit another bite and it turned out to be a small Chub of maybe 12oz.

2020-11-27 13.43.43.jpg

I fished on until it was time to go and pick up my car, still hoping for another 3ft twitch, but it never materialised. Decent bite on what turned out to be my penultimate cast but no more fish. So all in all quite pleased, the Barbel made the day really, and my car has passed its MOT having only failed on a brake light and a bush which have been sorted out now. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_9126.m4v
    31.9 MB · Views: 0

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Great stuff again from the spot that never seems to fail you ??

Anyone that’s fished and caught in the last couple days has my utmost respect as it’s been very tough conditions indeed!

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
With the weather suddenly taking a drop in temperature over the last couple of days I'm surprised you caught anything, well done.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers lads. I'm back out there Sunday with my Brother in Law as he's text me today wanting to go so will be interesting to see how we get on. I think any other stretch of this river would have been impossible fishing at the moment with the temperature and how low it is. I'm lucky that this is a bit of a fish holding spot. (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Should be slightly better conditions on Sunday as whilst it’s only meant to reach upper single figures it’s also meant to be well above freezing the night before which is a lot better than the last couple days!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah he mentioned in the text he sent me 'better forecast on Sunday!' so here's hoping.

I've just done a little annotation of the features of peg using a screenshot from the above video, hopefully it shows up okay. It's worth 'working' all three of these areas especially when conditions are like they are today, less so the sand bank when it's low but it holds fish when it's up. The hole is a deeper area that only produced the smallest Chub today. The main catching area is the slack eddy underneath the overhanging tree on the far bank. It's only a narrow river but is much wider in this pool due to the big slack areas either side, makes float fishing it a bit tricky as it tends to swirl round a bit. You can actually see the submerged sand bank under the water just underneath the arrow.

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 20.03.46.png

AdamRussell93

I’ve been putting off going because the river I normally fish is low and looking pretty clear, but I’m 2/3 weeks without going now and I’m starting to itch ??‍♂️ May be getting the casters, hemp and maggots and having a wander now!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers and tight lines to anyone who does get out!

The Severn is a different prospect for me now, more variables there; if the conditions are right, choosing the right peg etc so I doubt I will be out there until March. Here is easier, as well as being just down the road from me it's a guaranteed fish holding area always likely to produce at least a Chub or something to save a blank. That there seems to be Barbel showing at the moment is a bonus though as I went almost two years of fishing here without catching one until recently. I say that but we have had a lot of rain today so hopefully the river is still fishable tomorrow, hopefully in good condition with a bit of colour in but you never know!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cheers and tight lines to anyone who does get out!

The Severn is a different prospect for me now, more variables there; if the conditions are right, choosing the right peg etc so I doubt I will be out there until March. Here is easier, as well as being just down the road from me it's a guaranteed fish holding area always likely to produce at least a Chub or something to save a blank. That there seems to be Barbel showing at the moment is a bonus though as I went almost two years of fishing here without catching one until recently. I say that but we have had a lot of rain today so hopefully the river is still fishable tomorrow, hopefully in good condition with a bit of colour in but you never know!
Don't discount the Severn just go on the more urban bits, should be fish there.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don't discount the Severn just go on the more urban bits, should be fish there.

I'll have to find the more urban bits, find decent pegs etc. Will require a few walks I think as I only really know a few stretches. I doubt I'll even be on this weir much over winter though, quite looking forward to going back on commercials!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'll have to find the more urban bits, find decent pegs etc. Will require a few walks I think as I only really know a few stretches. I doubt I'll even be on this weir much over winter though, quite looking forward to going back on commercials!
A lot of people mention stourport as worth a go. Got the Severn, stour and canal to go at there.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A lot of people mention stourport as worth a go. Got the Severn, stour and canal to go at there.

Yeah Stourport is one place I might try. Hopefully for the Roach that are meant to shoal up there, I won't discount it before I try it I guess. I'm told Bewdley has free stretches on its town waters but despite being just down the road from me I've never been to Bewdley.

Barbel seeker

can't believe you just swore zerkalo and said the com word Haha just joking mate , thought I'd better put that in before I get a stream of abuse , but at the end of the day it's just another aspect of our wonderful sport just not for me.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been through Bewdley as I pass through to get to Arley, must stop there to have a look around one day as it does look nice. Thing is with commercials, I can more or less guarantee a bite which is what I like. Rivers I find to be boom or bust at this time of year so I tend to rotate my fishing.

Conditions were good today though. The rain yesterday brought the river up slightly and added some colour. There was a mildish fog hanging about all day which reduced the light levels, I didn't feel cold with my boots and a load of layers on anyway. My Brother in Law and I went early to guarantee a Sunday peg each. I let him fish the more favourable downstream peg as it's always good to help people catch a few. He's got his own tackle now though, been buying bits and pieces, and can set up and fish by himself.

As I was fishing the upstream peg closest to the weir, I did not expect to catch much. And sure enough, I didn't. My Brother in Law had one bite and one small Chub at about 9 o'clock. Better than nothing but he had things to do and left at 10 o'clock so I moved onto the downstream peg. Same tactics as usual, maggot feeder with maggots on the hook, trying worm occasionally throughout the day.

After I moved to the downstream peg it only took two casts and before 10.30 I had a wrap round bite and was playing a decent fish! Great fight in the flow and this 5lb 13oz Barbel graced the net.

2020-11-29 10.28.16.jpg

That's my biggest Barbel from here so I was quite pleased. Previous biggest was 5lb 4oz. I text my Brother in Law and he must have been kicking himself that he'd just left but that's the way it goes I guess.

It took another 50 minutes for me to get a bite and by 11.20 I had another Barbel in the net, this time smaller at 2lb 15oz. I thought I might as well weigh it despite being small as I had the sling and scales already out.

2020-11-29 11.21.42.jpg

Next bite came at 12 o'clock. I was fishing the eddy under the tree today. The usual catching spot. This bite was quite viscous but turned out to be a small Chublet.

2020-11-29 12.00.17 HDR.jpg

I fished on but it was quiet now until about 2 o'clock when I pulled out of two fish, could have been anything but probably Chub, on consecutive casts. I was kicking myself after waiting so long for a bite to pull out of two fish after having them on for about 5 seconds each. So when the next bite came at about 3 o'clock, I said to myself, "Don't come off this time!". But sure enough, the line went slack and I wound in a feeder minus another fish. That was 3 hook pulls in row, I could have wept.

It was getting late now but despite texts from my Dad saying Sunday Dinner is ready, I decided to fish on until about 4 o'clock hoping for another fish as the light started to fade. Alas, I ran out of maggots before I had any other indications so it was time to go.

All in all, not bad, as I had the one decent Barbel that made the day. I have heard of bigger from there during tackle shop banter, but I think not a bad size for this river and my biggest from there anyway.