Winter Socks!

Method Man

Evening gents, as winter is coming what are the best socks to wear to keep feet toasty I suffer from cold feet but don’t want something so thick you can’t get your boots on.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bridgedale merino hiker socks

I agree with the Merino wool socks, but I’d look for ones with a higher wool content, those are only 30% wool, you can find them with 60-70% wool. I usually wear two pairs, normal merino wool socks and the a pair of merino wool walking socks on top.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The human body is strange. I can stand with wellies on in shallow water for hrs pike fishing in the winter with my normal socks on and never feel a bit cold. My son with same wellies says his feet are freezing. How’s that work?
But take my hat off and my bald head gets cold.

John Step

Site Supporter
I use neoprene welly socks in wellies! Nice and toasty. Does require one size larger boots though.

Method Man

The human body is strange. I can stand with wellies on in shallow water for hrs pike fishing in the winter with my normal socks on and never feel a bit cold. My son with same wellies says his feet are freezing. How’s that work?
But take my hat off and my bald head gets cold.
My bald head gets cold without a hat, feet are weird and I have poor circulation due to surgery on both ankles since then feet are freezing in winter after a couple hrs, maybe I’ll have to stick to fine weather angling... ?

Baldie

I agree with the Merino wool socks, but I’d look for ones with a higher wool content, those are only 30% wool, you can find them with 60-70% wool. I usually wear two pairs, normal merino wool socks and the a pair of merino wool walking socks on top.
One pair and my leather hunter wellies with event neoprene lining are warm as toast and I suffer weak blood supply to my feet due to diabetes.

Gwillim

Maybe instead of just looking at socks it would be an idea to look at your footwear, my winter boots for fishing mean I only have to wear normal socks with them and never suffer cold feet, just a thought :)

Method Man

Maybe instead of just looking at socks it would be an idea to look at your footwear, my winter boots for fishing mean I only have to wear normal socks with them and never suffer cold feet, just a thought :)
Might be an idea what do you use? thanks

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i have insulated snow boots for my winter fishing and they are amazing but buried in the shed so cant remember make etc. for autumn and spring i have quality hiking boots and merino socks

Gwillim

@Method Man I use High Tek walking / snow boots there are lots of different models in various styles and you can get some bargains either online or in Sportsdirect, went for the snow boot version as they are waterproof as well as thermal lined so when you have a fish in the net between your legs unhooking it and the water drips on your feet it just runs off, have never had cold feet in these even in deep snow

sjmclean

Merino wool is the best for this, as someone who used to race bikes and train 500+ miles a week in the winter, I'd never be without a pair of merino socks when it's cold. Good quality one's will also let your skin breath so you don't sweat up too much when you walk.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Evening gents, as winter is coming what are the best socks to wear to keep feet toasty I suffer from cold feet but don’t want something so thick you can’t get your boots on.

Alpaca wool , best for me with terminally cold feet normally

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Find its not all in the socks, correctly fitting, waterproof and breathable boots are the key also imo. I have worn normal socks in the height of winter and with the right boots and they have been fine. Bit of a stretch and a walk helps too.