Winter River Groundbait - Liquidised Bread?

So I've got a lot of advice on fishing rivers with the feeder recently. I had a few dace and roach with liquidised bread in the feeder with white maggot on the hook.

But If I were generally targeting any fish on the river, be they roach, chub, dace, skimmers etc. does mixing liquidised bread with my dark frenzied hemp and roach groundbait give an advantage? I was thinking because I was either going to go out there with just groundbait, or just liquidised bread in the feeder. I don't know if I should be combining the two for a better chance of all round fishing. Has anyone heard of certain groundbaits on rivers detering some fish away? I am happy with a session catching whatever swims in the river.

Thanks
Dave

Rick123

Site Supporter
You can mix it for sure. I find half a mashed loaf, normal brown crumb and Grois Gardon a brilliant mix. Beware not to make it too stiff or it won't break down. Plain mashed bread has worked for years and years however? I'd used bread on the hook and leave the maggots at home, just me however?

You can mix it for sure. I find half a mashed loaf, normal brown crumb and Grois Gardon a brilliant mix. Beware not to make it too stiff or it won't break down. Plain mashed bread has worked for years and years however? I'd used bread on the hook and leave the maggots at home, just me however?
Thanks for the advice mate. Do you buy your brown crumb or make it yourself?

John Step

Site Supporter
I use the crumb of any sort very sparingly. I use it mainly to carry flavour as an inducement with just a little maggot in the feeder.. My favourite is Sensas worm flavour. As things are scarce at the moment I have purchased Sticky baits Bloodworn liquid to try.

RMNDIL

I never mix an 'off-the-shelf' groundbait with liquidised bread but I do add things to it such as gravel (if fed by hand) a few grains of hemp or a few casters (by a few I mean 6 or 8 as when I fish bread on the feeder it is usually because it's winter and rock hard). If i'm fishing bread i'm fishing bread - mainly. I will rotate hookbaits (best being caster on the river when it's gin clear as it catches everything - almost - or if the water is coloured a tiny bit of worm or red/fluo maggot or pinkie). If i'm chub fishing best alternatives to bread are lobworm or cheese (caster does work). It's amazing how often you can fish bread, bread, bread for 1-2 hours without a sniff and then put on a lob and catch a chub instantly. It's as if they're sat there, they know what they are looking at, know there's danger and then you show them something completely different.