Winter River Bream Fishing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On the subject of the OP I’ve still not had a chance at trying for the bream yet. It stayed plenty warm enough and dry for roach for about 4 weeks after the date of thread so didn’t really bother for bream save one half hearted attempt then since then it’s yo-y’d from either freezing cold (with both low and high water) or mild but too high for the gear I have so I’ve been doing other things. I have put a cheap 100g feeder rod on my birthday list for start it next month so that’ll give me a bit more scope to fisher wider range of condition. That said next time I can get out is the weekend after next by which point we’ll be about 3 weeks into a mostly dry cold spell so I should think that’ll mean chubbing will be the best bet.

JohnClarke1

The secret is to only take bread even if it means blending some fresh bread the day you are fishing.

Don't be afraid to fish relatively close in if the water is very fast ie look for steadier water. Which stretch were you fishing?

I have caught on this method with a moderate frost on the Thames.
I was at Wallingford

JohnClarke1

HI Mark and Silverfisher
I finally made three small open feeders, as Mark suggested, from the mesh from a bird feeder. No weight on the feeder itself, used SSG on the link just above the feeder. The bird feeder mesh was fine. The only problem was that my wire cutters wouldn't cut it quite flush, so pointy wire bits. I tried it today. I went to a swim where I thought I'd be able to try it close to the bank, with good control, but there wasn't enough flow; but the method worked OK way out in the main river, though I don't think I was casting accurately enough to build up a good swim. The pointy wire bits were a bit lethal, and in the cold my hands seemed to bleed easily so I didn't fish for long. Just an initial trial.

Mark, what did you do about the sharp bits of wire? Maybe I just need a different type of wire cutters?

Best of luck Silverfisher if you try it. I'm going to have to leave it till next season now as I'm due for heart surgery and have to isolate before that.

MarkW

HI Mark and Silverfisher
I finally made three small open feeders, as Mark suggested, from the mesh from a bird feeder. No weight on the feeder itself, used SSG on the link just above the feeder. The bird feeder mesh was fine. The only problem was that my wire cutters wouldn't cut it quite flush, so pointy wire bits. I tried it today. I went to a swim where I thought I'd be able to try it close to the bank, with good control, but there wasn't enough flow; but the method worked OK way out in the main river, though I don't think I was casting accurately enough to build up a good swim. The pointy wire bits were a bit lethal, and in the cold my hands seemed to bleed easily so I didn't fish for long. Just an initial trial.

Mark, what did you do about the sharp bits of wire? Maybe I just need a different type of wire cutters?

Best of luck Silverfisher if you try it. I'm going to have to leave it till next season now as I'm due for heart surgery and have to isolate before that.
I used a small file to blunt the sharp bits.

squimp

Site Supporter
This thread inspired me to sort thru an old bag of various feeders and put together a selection for the 'moving feeder' method.

The photo is pretty self explanatory. The numbers are grams.

Some are bastardised versions of old feederlinks etc etc. Obviously the weights included could be altered. One or two are still work on progress.

The two bigger empty plastic tubes come from the pig husbandry trade. Unfortunately we refer to them as 'semen feeders'. Again they can be cut to size and weighted as appropriate.....

Attachments

• 20220128_112501.jpg
    20220128_112501.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 27

JohnClarke1

Wow, you've got into this with vengeance Squimp. I'll bear in mind that if my file doesn't prove up to the job the other alternative is to remove or reduce the lead from a shop-bought feeder.

Do you already use the moving feeder method? Is this mainly for roach with bread, or do you, for example, use it with maggots?

squimp

Site Supporter
Wow, you've got into this with vengeance Squimp. I'll bear in mind that if my file doesn't prove up to the job the other alternative is to remove or reduce the lead from a shop-bought feeder.

Do you already use the moving feeder method? Is this mainly for roach with bread, or do you, for example, use it with maggots?
I’m just recycling some old feeders that I have in storage.

As you say, if the lead strip comes off, simply trim it to reduce the loading and then replace it. A turn of insulating tape might also be good insurance.

Same with the old feeder links, invert them, lose an end cap and then pick a weight load to suit.

I’m fishing it with bread - but just the odd experiment so far. Partly because I need to find some fish first !