Winter method hooklength

martin22

Site Supporter
Now we’re going into winter what sort of diameter 4” hooklengths are you comfortable going down to on the method feeder?
Lake I fish is open water,
Mainly skimmers averageing around 3ib
odd bonus carp here and there upto around 5ib
Soft through action 10ft rod
Diawa sensor 8ib mainline
20g-30g method feeders
Size 18-16 hook
Thanks

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m using pre-tied Guru QM1 in size 14 - it’s a 4” hook length of 0.19 Guru N-Gauge that equates to 7lb. It’s linked to Drennan 8lb feeder mono on the reel. Had no issues getting bites last Saturday after a week of frosts with fish banked between 6lb and 8lb.

martin22

Site Supporter
I’m using pre-tied Guru QM1 in size 14 - it’s a 4” hook length of 0.19 Guru N-Gauge that equates to 7lb. It’s linked to Drennan 8lb feeder mono on the reel. Had no issues getting bites last Saturday after a week of frosts with fish banked between 6lb and 8lb.
I was useing the pre tied guru mwg,the bites were hard on Monday and I know the pond quite well but I did notice the colour has really dropped out the water and the fish I did catch we’re definitely more lethargic coming in,I dropped down to an 18 hook on n-gauge 6ib .17 which I’m sure did get me a few more bites,I was toying with the idea of tying up an 18 to 0.15 but I felt I would be pushing my luck on a 4” hooklength

Marker50

Site Supporter
I like guru pre tied qm1 in size 14.
Get broke to often in the 16 version.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I tie my own as it depends what I'm targeting. If anything goes wonky with the hook length, I've only myself to blame.

bettsfan

I'd be treading very riskily with a minimum of 6lb even in the depths of winter. Smaller may be ok for Bream and small F1's but the lakes I fish a lighter hooklength will snap on the take.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I'd be treading very riskily with a minimum of 6lb even in the depths of winter. Smaller may be ok for Bream and small F1's but the lakes I fish a lighter hooklength will snap on the take.

i agree completely, the force of some of the bites I’ve been getting are pulling the rod off the rest head, even last week after a cold snap that I thought would kill off any bites.

fredradac

Site Supporter
Was recently watching a Rob Watton(?) video on youtube and his take on this was tie your winter method hooklengths as short as possible. As above I'd be worried about them snapping if less than 4 inches.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
The method is a tactic i don't make any changes to set up wise in the cooler months. Due to the nature of it still having the same wear and tear factor on the line, i may still look to be clipping up and may be more so this time of year and the hooklength is buried largely too still.

Although the fish are a little less lively, the initial take, again given the tactic, can be just as sharp.

8lb main and 7'6 / .19 hooklengths year round for me and where carp are present.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Using a method feeder I don't alter anything in winter, certainly not where carp are present. The very nature of the rig and the way it's designed to work negates it. Essentially the hooklength/baited hook is hidden inside free offerings and is sucked into the fishes mouth where the hook should prick it causing the fish to bolt off. As others have said if you're using a short length of pre-stretched mono as a hooklink it's asking for trouble if it's not capable of withstanding the initial shock.

solwood

Site Supporter
Rarely fish higher than .15 so for me .13 or .15

I fish with baitrunner reel so no risk of snapping on the take