Winter fishing

markymark123

Site Supporter
Love it or hate it winter will be amongst us sooner than you can land a 1oz roach on maggot. So with that in mind and me just getting going with my coarse fishing I wondered what species I will be able to target once the colder months hit home. I know for pike which is on my to do list for this winter but what other species are targeted in winter. What about perch, barbel and chub are these winter fish that are normally targeted? I know even in winter you'll catch fish that slow down like carp but just not in the numbers that you will in the warmer months.

Mark.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
All coarse fish will feed in the winter, especially on milder days.
for really cold conditions IME chub are The most reliable.
probably tench and Rudd are the least likely to feed.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Winter is when I start fishing commercials. I like the slower pace but can still get a good few fish out. Chub on my weir. The odd Barbel when the conditions are right but I won't be fishing for them when it's icy even if a few fish will still come out. Back in the day, winter was when we started fishing canals mostly for Gudgeon and Perch using bloodworm and joker, it's better then because there's less boat traffic.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Like any fishing wether patterns play a great part if the temperatures drop and stay stable then fish will feed but if the temperature is up and down like a brides nighty then all bets are off.
It becomes a scratching event but I’m in the throes of planning my winter campaign at the moment.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey we are only a day past the equinox that took us out of summer into autumn and we’re already talking winter! Winters still over 2 months away yet thankfully!

That said winter fishing for me is totally weather dependant. If it’s more autumn or spring like temperatures and it’s not too wet I just fish the rivers for silvers like I do in the summer and autumn. If it’s proper winter cold then it’s all about chub. Or if it’s flooded the whole time like last winter then it’s nothing!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't change my approach much. All fish will feed, even the odd tench. Baits and tackle is scaled down. So finer bristles, thinner lines and smaller hooks. 2mm expander comes into its own as does corn skin and maggot/pinkie. Feeding is venue dependent.

Windbeater rigs get carried for those poor weather days. Heavier floats/longer bristles. But I also have light rigs for still, cold days. So 0.2g rig in 5ft of water may get an outing. But as always, the bristle dotted down as low as I dare.

On the right day commercial matches may still need 100lb or close to win.

After the October half term is when I start my midweek canal fishing. Boat numbers drop off after the school holiday. The fish will feed even under ice. I stop when, in the Spring, I see more than six boats in a day.

Neskin

Pike, Chub and Perch. Im itching to start for the pike.

Ive had an absolutely terrible season so far, im hoping that it does carry over!

markymark123

Site Supporter
Pike, Chub and Perch. Im itching to start for the pike.

Ive had an absolutely terrible season so far, im hoping that it does carry over!
And me as I've yet to catch a pike, I'm determined to get my first one this winter.

markymark123

Site Supporter
Thanks for all your comments guys, looks like I can still have a good variety of fishing throughout the winter then.

Neskin

And me as I've yet to catch a pike, I'm determined to get my first one this winter.

If possible, go with someone with experienced as if you do hook into something you might find yourself in a bit of a flap. I still do sometimes if i get a double run or a spinning pike in the net!

Watch loads of videos on youtube @HALTON DANGLER has a tonne of videos that helped me loads when I started out. Keep it simple, fish one rod, get a few under your belt and crack on from there.

Also, enjoy yourself! Nothing better than being out on the water in winter wrapped up with a flask waiting for that bite alarm to go or float to slide under.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never targeted pike but must have hooked pushing 100 whilst silvers fishing landing maybe a dozen or so. All in the summer and autumn though never winter.

JayD

I'm surprised that Roach and Dace haven't been mentioned as a winter target. If you get among them then they are usually of a bigger stamp than the summer ones. Even searching the river bankside eddys in a winter flood, (as long as it's still within it's banks), can often produce both at a specimen size.

John.

davepellet

for me it's usually all about grayling in winter - shallow, fast, streamy stretches of my local river, can't beat it in winter, mobile, busy fishing keeps me warmer than sat motionless on a stillwater. The only bad parts are when the rod rings freeze up even after a liberal brushing of glycerine, when you need to hold a fish in the water to recover for so long that your hands go numb, and those dreaded days when the river's in full flood - it might be alright for the barbel boys, but it's the kiss of death for grayling...

sometimes I'll fish further downstream in the deeper, slower runs (occasionally with the whip) & that will produce roach & dace in big numbers (there are also usually a few pike knocking around, but so far I've never tried seriously for them)

the odd perch & chub sometimes appear on both stretches & that's always a bonus, but I don't get obsessed with them like I do some other species

very occasionally I'll fish a local stillwater with standard groundbait feeder gear, for anything that swims, just for a change

markymark123

Site Supporter
Thanks for your help guys, lots to take on board and learn about different species and methods which I'm sure will keep me busy.

rudd

Site Supporter
On mild winters spells gone have fished two small method feeders and Caught Tench and Crucians!
Will fish for Carp and Perch through Autumn.
Once cold mainly target Roach on the float but if windy will use a maggot feeder.
If low on maggots or using frozen will use a cage feeder targetting mainly skimmers.
Will have a few carp.sessions using single hi viz pop ups.
Then there is the beach fishing for Whiting holing the Codling make it to Suffolk - rare these days.
Come February a three bearded rockings a result?

markymark123

Site Supporter
On mild winters spells gone have fished two small method feeders and Caught Tench and Crucians!
Will fish for Carp and Perch through Autumn.
Once cold mainly target Roach on the float but if windy will use a maggot feeder.
If low on maggots or using frozen will use a cage feeder targetting mainly skimmers.
Will have a few carp.sessions using single hi viz pop ups.
Then there is the beach fishing for Whiting holing the Codling make it to Suffolk - rare these days.
Come February a three bearded rockings a result?
The Bristol channel here was great for codling back in the day with great numbers caught most weekends with the chance of that bigger fish turning up but as you say can be very rare these days, saying that you do get the odd better year now and then.