Winter Chub Fishing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
thanks.. even more reason to be joining them when the membership opens up tomorrow..
Oh yeah tomorrow isn’t it. Not sure if I’ll get it now to get it out the way or just wait until my current one runs out. Probably get it soon as one of the committee members lives just down the road so tends to drop it round for me so it’s all quite efficient.

Nowhere near as good a club as the littlemore/odaa/rdaa partnership but does have some interesting waters so I’ve been joining both for the last 3-4 years now. Covers most of the area then.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
But the Thames is a much bigger river, and I've basically never found the fish, at least nothing over a pound. But the frustrating thing is I keep meeting anglers on the bank who assure me how brilliant the chub fishing is in the area (I live near Didcot.)

Within 30 minutes of your home - I guess - is some very decent winter chub fishing.

Sutton Courtenay had a small get together a couple of weeks ago at The Otney's and I wandered along. I was talking to one of the chaps and we were saying that, for whatever reason on that stretch, we hardly see a 'big' chub (say over 3lb) when 2 anglers caught chub of about 5lb or so there and then !!!!

Appleford has plenty of chub & big chub. Lower Moors has chub.

Abingdon town does.

Wallingford has lots of chub. Goring too - 7lb+ - and they won't be far for you at all.

See attached.

Some use bomb & paste, some bomb & boilie, many just big bits of bread. Problem is many use big feeders, too big & too heavy, and too much bait and rather lack any stealth.

Attachments

• 6.13.0.jpg
    6.13.0.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 25

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
When i fished the Bristol Avon prawns were the best bait for me or a really stiff cheese paste if the flow was a bit strong.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yesterday was 3 bites to flake on the hook with liquidised in the feeder and 1 bite to quadruple maggot with hemp and maggots in the feeder not that it’s a big enough sample size to mean much 😅

adriang

Site Supporter
Oh yeah tomorrow isn’t it. Not sure if I’ll get it now to get it out the way or just wait until my current one runs out. Probably get it soon as one of the committee members lives just down the road so tends to drop it round for me so it’s all quite efficient.

Nowhere near as good a club as the littlemore/odaa/rdaa partnership but does have some interesting waters so I’ve been joining both for the last 3-4 years now. Covers most of the area then.
Littlemore is a good value ticket. I wasn't even aware of Abingdon and Oxford until @Jimpanzee told me about it. Its of more interest to me than Newlands both from the types of water available and the cost. I decided I'd join for next season and skip the Newlands ticket. Marlborough Lakes sounds really interested from a summer venue option, and the rivers/backwaters are just my thing, and close by.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Littlemore is a good value ticket. I wasn't even aware of Abingdon and Oxford until @Jimpanzee told me about it. Its of more interest to me than Newlands both from the types of water available and the cost. I decided I'd join for next season and skip the Newlands ticket. Marlborough Lakes sounds really interested from a summer venue option, and the rivers/backwaters are just my thing, and close by.
Yeah can’t beat littlemore for value when you consider thames alone it gives you 10 stretches all for £15 and that’s before you consider the couple canal and couple cherwell stretches. Extra value also comes from access being very easy for almost all the stretches as well which can’t always be said for natural fishing.

The alliance ticket at £40 is reasonable value given the lakes on offer in addition to the rivers but it would be pricey for the rivers alone given only half their stretches are properly accessible with the other half basically having no parking without monumental walks. It’s definitely much better than newlands which is a joke now with less than half the water for twice the price and sounds like the fishing you get for it is a shadow of what it used to be as well.

squimp

Site Supporter
In the days when I had a Newlands ticket, they had 2 stretches of the river.

One at a place called Chimneys used to produce good chub and the other was near stanlake Stanton harcourt and used to produce a few good barbel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In the days when I had a Newlands ticket, they had 2 stretches of the river.

One at a place called Chimneys used to produce good chub and the other was near stanlake Stanton harcourt and used to produce a few good barbel.
They don’t have any of the Thames now just the bit of the windrush by the lakes