Winter Barbelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Hi,

Just a short but possibly long question ?

With the winter temperatures and rain hitting the rivers especialy in my hunting grounds of north yorkshire, can anybody tell me what the feeding habits of barbel are once the waters start cooling down.
Normally at this time of year I chase the chub but with access to the rivers being limited I have yet to catch a barbel this year

Thanks all,

Tim

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Tim,

I certainly know what you mean by access being limited with the F&M outbreaks this past year.
My favourite rivers are the Swale and Wharfe and both have been out of bounds until lately.

The barbel are still there though so I been told. L&DASA stretch at Helperby is fishing well and the Tadcaster stretches of the Wharfe are as well with a few barbel being taken from the sand bar at the bottom end of the day ticket stretch to the humble maggot.
Both rivers are carrying extra water and they haven't chilled as yet.

One method that seems to be attracting a fair bit of attention is the trout or carp pellets. Fished attached to the hook with bait bands over a bed of loose feed. I must say I haven't tried this myself as yet but it seems to work well.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.