Windscreen wiper noise

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Why do I get a 'scraping' noise when I put the wipers on,they are relatively new Bosche ones.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Often it can be caused by contamination by road crud film, try cleaning them in neat washing up liquid and see if that helps.
Just squirt some on a kitchen towel and rub the black rubber part.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Also put a squirt of washing up liquid into the washer bottle, keeps the screen nicely free of crud.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
When I bought the car the screen jets only produced a dribble,I went on to a Ford forum and the answer I got was that it had possibly had a mixture of screen washes put in it and they tended to congeal and the only way to cure it was to clean out the washer bottle completely,now to get the bottle out of the engine compartment is a job for a garage,I got hold of a suction unit that ran off the cars battery,poked that to the bottom of the bottle and then put a hose pipe in it and turned it on co there was a continuation of clean water going in and gunk coming out,it took about twenty minutes before clean water came out but it solved the problem so I'm loath to put anything in other than Ford approved windsceen wash.

DFL

Site Supporter
Even a thorough wash of a windscreen doesn’t always remove the contaminants that reduce the smoothness of the glass. Best method is to “Clay” the screen, Halfords sell a clay type mitt which is very good, Quite expensive but looked after they last a long while and you can use them on your paintwork which what they were primarily designed for.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
When I bought the car the screen jets only produced a dribble,I went on to a Ford forum and the answer I got was that it had possibly had a mixture of screen washes put in it and they tended to congeal and the only way to cure it was to clean out the washer bottle completely,now to get the bottle out of the engine compartment is a job for a garage,I got hold of a suction unit that ran off the cars battery,poked that to the bottom of the bottle and then put a hose pipe in it and turned it on co there was a continuation of clean water going in and gunk coming out,it took about twenty minutes before clean water came out but it solved the problem so I'm loath to put anything in other than Ford approved windsceen wash.
Only saw that problem once and they cured it by putting boiling water in the empty screenwash bottle and running it through till it cleared and it was actually caused by a clearscreen product that contained wax of some sort which settled out over an extended period.