quote:a friend at work does not like windows xp,is it possible to uninstall
said program and install windows 98 on his system instead

We've all heard that before [;)][;)][;)]

BET IT'S YOU

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Lid

Steve

Does he want to put windows 98 back onto his a work machine or his home machine?

Windows XP is rated as a better product than win98. I work in computing and I have win98 at home and both XP and NT at work. I rate XP well above the other two.

I think one of the issues is when you do an upgrade from win98 to XP. From what I've seen, this seems to be much more troublesome than starting off with a fresh XP machine.

Whatever the case, I recommend your friend sticks with XP. What are the specific issues he has with XP then? I'm sure between us we can sort them out.

steve wilson

wots happened is
he went from an old machine running win 98 to a newer machine (home) running xp
since changing machines and operating systems hes had nothing but trouble ie cant load programs or when programs are loaded they wont run
ive tried to help him out but hes got it in his head that he wants win 98 put on his machine because he knows how to use it
basically he is not very computer minded and has got to familiar with 98
oh by the way he knows more than MALC does

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
I have recently gone over to XP and after a few glitches have found it far better than 98. STICK WITH IT. ..Haydn[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Lid

Is the newer machine actually a new one? If so and it was purchased with XP already installed he should be able to call the PC suppliers help line and get assistance. Do you have an example of a program he cannot load?

I haven't bought XP for home yet so probably won't know the answers, but if you give us an idea of the kind of software causing problems, someone may be able to help. Depending what the programs are which don't run, he might be able to call or e-mail the software suppliers.

There are also lots of PC forums. Don't know much about them, but again maybe some-one else does.
Lid

Last edited:

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
http://www.windowsbbs.com/
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/
and both forums have an XP section where this sort of issue is fairly common. Mostly we get folks sorted out. Occasionally we just recomment the process below. If his XP is unstable and the hardware is all designed to play happily with XP, there is probably a fairly simple cause for any instability. Video driver would be my first guess. May need the one from the maker rather than one from the XP install CD. Next guess would be that he got a stick of bad memory. Some are bad right from the factory.

To remove XP and install 98, boot from a floppy with CD support then
- fdisk /mbr
- fdisk again and remove any partitions found (and XP will show up as an unknown type probably), then create a partition or partitions
- format the partition(s)
- install 98. And if it matters to him, the 98 install won't be legal unless he wipes the existing one from the old PC.

Newt Vail

Last edited:

AndyA

I've used and installed lots of different Windows operating systems
and I rate XP as the best by far, it's very reliable and has a recovery system called system restore which can be a life saver IF you get problems.

I would always recommend a fresh installation (format your hard drive) rather than an upgrade, as you won't inherit any existing glitches etc.

Good luck [;)]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

steve wilson

cheers newt
the two forums listed in your post are extremely informative i wish i had come across these years ago when i ran windows 95 98 ect
thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.