windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
just put xp on my puter. keeps not recognising my disc drives or floppy drive. Have to reboot . any help?... Datafile2.gif

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hayden,
Perhaps a visit too http://www.windowsbbs.com/ might be in order.
Excellent site ,always very helpfull.[;)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tried to load XP myself tonight. Would not recognise my internet provider, tried all manner of things so decided to uninstall xp for the moment. Peter I blame you[:D]

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Smaggot

Another result for MS and XP.

Now you know why businesses wont get rid of 98 SE.

MS site for patchs, and upgrade patchs or just slap the person that sold you it.

Smaggot

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
After 2 days off line, XP still not working, lots of swear words, (other half blushing), Peter and Maria giving me help and support, (Thank you both) I am back on site without XP.

For some reason it does not like my broad band connection. NTL are getting back to me, although when that will be god only knows.

For all those who had my MSN address I will have to reload yours. Please send them to me by PM. Mine is geoffpalmer111@hotmail.com

I will be fishing Xmas day. Catch you all soon.

Geoff

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wonders will never cease. I had to uninstall my Internet connection, Load XP and then reload Broadband. At the moment every thing looks to run all right.

Just got to load the printer driver and I should be away.

The blue cloud has vanished.

Geoff

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
haydn up and running on xp seems ok only problem wont go to standby says my graphic card needs updated driver. Went to web site and got latest one, guess what.......it still wont go to standby.

AndyA

Sorry your having problems with XP haydn, I work with pc's quite a bit and use XP myself and I can honestly say that it's the most reliable operating system I've used so far.

Did you install as an update to an existing o/s or did you do a fresh install on a fdormatted hard drive ? ..... the latter would be my choice.

Good luck

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well this end, all is up and running quite well, except Easy CD creator 4 isn't working.

Do I have to buy (god I hate that word) Easy CD 5 or can I get a free update for version 4?

Geoff

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Geoff,
Have a look HERE for the latest downloadable updates for version 4.
But it would appear that you need version 5 as this is designed to be compatible with XP.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
xp comes with its own cd burner software

chill out go fishing

AndyA

XP's built in software works fine as esox says, I would also recommend you try Nero Burning Rom ( www.nero.com ) which is one of the best applications around.

If you want to copy/backup your own cd's then also try CloneCD from Elaborate Bytes .

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Originally posted by peter

Hayden,
Perhaps a visit too http://www.windowsbbs.com/ might be in order.
Excellent site ,always very helpfull.[;)]
But one of the mods of the XP section is a real piece of work. Uses the same name and avatar as me too. :D

darryl - could you post a couple of the non-working links here? Also, you might try doing start~run~cmd to open a DOS type window and then
ipconfig /flushdns to clear your DNS cache. If it somehow got a bad link, that bad link will always be tried first and will always fail. This command simply clears the cache so it will rebuild with (hopefully) good DNS entries.

Newt Vail

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Newt,
quote:But one of the mods of the XP section is a real piece of work. Uses the same name and avatar as me too. :D

LOL Well if the mountain won't come to Mohommed [:D][:D][:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Excellent darryl. That will happen from time to time and the same fix should work.

XP (and 2K) hold a local database of address/name translations for sites you've visited. Makes it much quicker for you to get back since you don't have to get to the 'net to get a translation and then go to the site. But it doesn't care if the stored translation is good or bad.

There is a way to stop the local DNS caching completely but unless it gets to be a major issue, IMO not worth doing.

Newt Vail

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
XP running fine. I formatted my hard drive to put it on but had originaly had it on my second drive which I have since reformatted to take it off. Problem now is when I start up it tries to boot from floppy then puts up 2 boxes with xp windows in. If I let it boot on its own OK . If I try to boot the other it says some dll file missing. How can I get rid of the second boot option please.....haydn...

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
There is a hidden text file on your C: drive named boot.ini.

You can unhide and set it to something other than read only (as it probably is now) and simply remove the excess entries.

Or boot to the recovery console, to the command prompt section, and run the Bootcfg command to fix it up automatically. This is the safer option since you can render the system unable to boot if you mess up the manual edit.

But even that isn't a disaster since another trip to the recovery console and using the fixboot command will take care of that.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.