Window Feeders

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I bought some Guru Window Feeders and had not seen them before. Actually I bought them accidentally thinking they were maggot feeders.

Now I'm wondering what situations you'd use these in? Do they deposit the bait easily or does it depend what bait you use? I'm imagining I might find a use for them Bream fishing on a lake with chopped worm plugged with a bit of groundbait.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I use them sometimes, they are quite handy for varying the pace of the bait depositing by changing whether they are open, closed or half and half.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I bought them I presumed there was a sliding section to open and close the window, making them maggot feeders. Have to admit, I can't see much advantage to them other than having a slow bait deposit. In other words, seem a bit naff to me.

SteveinSwindon

Idea is that unlike a cage feeder, which starts to release its contents on impact with the water (unless packed very hard) a window feeder will release feed when it is on the bottom. Seen a few videos giving advice including starting with a cage to attract fish into the swim, then switching to a window to ensure fish stay on the bottom, as if they rise up in the water line bites can follow.
I haven't used a window to be honest though - guess this tip would apply more to deeper venues. Have heard they cast very well though so fishing at range may be a strong point.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I want to try them for that but my deep Bream venue has a closed season from Feb to Aug. Read in the Angling Times Steve Ringer thinks the same, that they're good for getting fish on the bottom.

Hathers

I use them on deep reservoirs; They cast very well where waters are open to the elements, they get to the bottom quick without releasing bait, tend to use chop worm, caster, GB. They slow release bait and tend to do that on the retrieve as soon as you move it. Great feeder in the right Conditions...... tend not to use on silty bottoms as they are heavily weighted at one end and can plug in the silt.......hope that helps

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah that's useful, thanks. It's pretty much what I thought, useful to have but will be sitting in my garage until next Autumn by the looks of it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My standard Thames feeder mix is part ground bait, part maggots and part hemp and on the medium sized reasonably shallow Oxfordshire Thames it works perfectly packed into a standard maggot feeder. When I fished it down in Surrey where it's bigger and deeper the maggot feeder wasn't as accurate and sank too slowly but a change to the window feeder fixed these issues so they certainly have a place in the right circumstances.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Seen that @emmaemma (y)

Can see they might work on rivers quite well as the flow will help empty them but the ones I bought are 20g and 30g.