Window & cage feeders

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I have started to buy a few feeders in preparation for fishing commercials and canals come summer. Maggot and method feeders I am fine with but I have never used window or cage feeders.

I have bought a few window feeders but no cage feeders yet.

Questions time...

Are window feeders just an updated version of cage feeders? Are they designed to do the same job or are they for different styles/ conditions?

Do I need cage feeders for commercials and canals? ( as a kid I thought they were for river fishing 🤷‍♀️). Or are window feeders better/ more suited?

My little pouch...
20220312_114427.jpg

Not a lot I know, but I won't be buying enough to need a dedicated feeder storage system. I will be mostly float fishing I think.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Cage feeders are generally used in still waters up to about 14 foot deep as they release feed as they sink, you can tape up the holes to stop this but you might as well use a conventional open end feeder if you are going to do that.
The window feeders cast better and more accurately because of the front loading but you can get front weighted cage feeders too.
Standard method feeders or hybrid feeders along with the pellet feeders you have in your box would be widely used on commercial fisheries or natural fisheries in you were targeting Bream,Tench,Carp.
The hook lengths on method/hybrid se ups are often 3 or 4 inch as the fish hook themselves against the weight of the feeder.
On conventional feeders 1 foot to 3 foot hook lengths would be the norm. same as window feeders.
As in all things in fishing there are people who will use different combinations to suit what they are looking to achieve but a little thought into what presentation you need to get will get you near enough in most cases, dont fall into the trap of following trends on Youpube and similar that may work in a certain scenario on an overstocked puddle but are rarely consistent, learn you own venues.
I fished in Ireland years ago with a very good angler who never used a hook length of more than a foot and although everybody else was using two or three foot he did pretty well winning many matches.
I have fished with 10 foot hook lengths to catch fish sat in midwater on the drop or for Barbel that did not want to come near to a feeder

Fred Davis

well window feeders get the bait down on the deck better than a cage feeder as the bait parcel is more enclosed also you can feed less groundbait and more particles, we all get sucked into buying the relevent feeders however just tapeing up a cage feeder will creat the same effect as a window feeder, however do I have a range of cage feeders yes have I ever used them so far er no but they are there just in case lol

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Reading the first few sentences of that article it looks like I was on the right tracks. The window feeders seem to be a variant/ evolution of the cage feeders?!

I will buy some more window feeders just in case I come across a suitable situation to use them. However, most of the fisheries and canals I intend to fish will only require short casts or a simple swing out.

Window feeders seem to be designed to cast straight at distance. For a short cast or swing out in 4-6ft of water maybe a cage would be a better option!?

I have probably got it wrong However.... 🙄

Deejay8

Site Supporter
There is actually an article in this week's Angling Times. It's Steve Ringer's Ringer To The Rescue regular article where a reader sends in a question and gets it answered in depth. This week's question is. "How do I tackle a big natural water when using a window feeder? "
And the basic principle he explains is covered by a simple saying.

"Cage feeders to attract them. Window feeders to catch them."

A cage feeder creates more of a cloud of groundbait that draws the fish into the swim. But once they are there, you want to get them feeding on the deck. A window feeder allows you to get more loose offerings down to the bottom with a little groundbait, without it leaving a cloud of bait in the water as a cage feeder does. So begin on the cage feeder, and once you begin to get bites or indications that the fish are in the swim, switch to a window feeder. Then when bites begin to dry up, go back on the cage, until the bites start again.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The original window feeders were developed by Sir Bob Nudd for commercial fisheries but became popular for their accuracy on bigger natural waters, the Browning originals were more solid than the Preston cage versions you have in your box but you are right in that the main use is distance casting.
A cage feeder or a conventional open ended feeder would be better for your general use.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I saw him showing off the browning ones on YouTube. They had a rotating part inside turning them into a maggot feeder