Willy worms maggots

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I bought a small pack ( 1/2 pint)of what I thought were dead reds from Decathlon. It wasn't 'till I got them home that I realised they were in fact very much alive. Left them in the fridge for a day or two, then used them today. They were all right, and for the price I paid (£1.65) for half pint, a lot cheaper than the tackle shop. I know people get bait delivered from Willy Worms, is this how they sell them (sealed plastic bag), and if so, how long do they last in the pack, the pack stated it was packed on 20/10/20, so at least a week.

John Step

Site Supporter
I looked at their website for maggots as I live so far from a tackle shop.. I thought their delivery charges were too steep.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm not sure in the pack as I always put them straight into a box but I did find out this year that maggots can last a lot longer if kept cool than I ever expected. Good few weeks on occasions.

John Step

Site Supporter
I'm not sure in the pack as I always put them straight into a box but I did find out this year that maggots can last a lot longer if kept cool than I ever expected. Good few weeks on occasions.
Yes they seem to. I have recently lashed out and taken delivery of a fridge for my bait. I live a way from the tackle shops as mentioned so it seemed a good idea, Up to now I have relied on frozen deads.

The pinkies seem to be even better at keeping than their big brothers.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
They will keep for ages, but they get tougher over time. You want nice big soft ones (ooh err missus) with a visible feed spot. These were ok at a week old at least. I got them at Decathlon, that is about 3 miles 10-15 minute drive, could be more if traffic really bad. Nearest tackle shop is Cheam Angling, 5 miles and about 20-30 minutes drive, then there's Jack Frost in Crawley, or AD Guildford about 15 miles 45mins - 1 hr.. Used to have loads nearer, including KC Angling, but alas, all gone.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah they are certainly past their best after a week maybe two tops but they certainly take longer to turn than I thought they would. Fortunately my local shop is only 10 minutes away tops but during lockdown mail order was a life saver.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Willy Worms maggots are first class. Better than I’ve ever had from a tackle shop. If you put them straight in a bait tub in the fridge they are still really good after a week.

davej1981

They will keep for ages, but they get tougher over time. You want nice big soft ones (ooh err missus) with a visible feed spot. These were ok at a week old at least. I got them at Decathlon, that is about 3 miles 10-15 minute drive, could be more if traffic really bad. Nearest tackle shop is Cheam Angling, 5 miles and about 20-30 minutes drive, then there's Jack Frost in Crawley, or AD Guildford about 15 miles 45mins - 1 hr.. Used to have loads nearer, including KC Angling, but alas, all gone.
Tackle warehouse would probably be slightly nearer than Jack Frost