Will it work?

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I'm after some advice and/or opinion and ideas...

I want to fish my local pit for tench next week but I need to change things up a little.

I want to float fish the channels between the lily pads but the bottom is full of huge cabbage type leaves. Last time i fished blind over the top of them hoping the bait would fall between the leaves. I want to rake them out. Underneath is fine silt and tiny gravel. I was thinking of using micro pellets, hemp, corn, worms and dead reds after the swim has been raked, to create a 'dinner table'.

Question time;

1)Would you rake and bait the night before, or will it be cleared out come early morning?

2)would you re-rake after baiting to mix it in a little and make them grub around for the bait or just leave it all sat on top?

3)is it worth freezing the red maggots I have? Are dead maggots any good for tench?

4)would it be worth flavoring the micros? What flavoring works well for tench?

Thanks! :T:

lliopp

Site Supporter
Yes, add more in morning
No
Yes
Possibly, I did ok with strawberry, but it may have been the colour change, not the flavour.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
i would rake the night before for sure and def not again before i fish, might even want to rake a week before if the cabbages etc are that bad? if fish are visiting then why risk raking on the morning your fishing? can always try that another day.

def dead reds as will sit on the silt but also the particles etc will sink and be dragged up again, the fish will df come back even if its cleaned out

I wouldnt bother with a flavour at this point, though i dont think it would make any difference but you will have enough flavours and smells without adding more but its a personal thing for me, i would keep that for another visit to change things up in the future maybe etc.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
You can see in the pic the cabbage leaves are very dense.
Screenshot_20220714-091710_Gallery.jpg

It's the same a rod length out at 10ft plus deep because the water is so clear. Its a waste of time feeding pellets, hemp and maggot as it sits on the leaves (probably).

You can tell when you find a sweet spot through the leaves as the float sits right. Most of the time a shot will be held up by the leaves so you know its not getting down to them.

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
I would rake first thing and drop a bait in straight away with just a handful of offerings. Tench will come to a freshly raked spot to pick off foodstuff disturbed.
Personally l wouldn't bother with worm or maggot if the lake has a prolific head of small roach and perch and l'd use 4 and 6mm pellets for the same reason. Nothing worse than your float dipping and a 3 inch perch with 6 maggots sticking out its gob.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I would rake first thing and drop a bait in straight away with just a handful of offerings. Tench will come to a freshly raked spot to pick off foodstuff disturbed.
Personally l wouldn't bother with worm or maggot if the lake has a prolific head of small roach and perch and l'd use 4 and 6mm pellets for the same reason. Nothing worse than your float dipping and a 3 inch perch with 6 maggots sticking out its gob.
I can normally get past the roach and rudd etc very early morning. They don't tend to show until the sun warms the water a little. As you can see in yhe pic, this is why I like unloaded floats. I put more shot by the hook to drop past the silvers asap

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would rake over a few days to get rid of the cabbages and feed after these rakings, the night before put some feed down then when you arrive give it a very light raking and put a little more feed down then fish over the top of it straight away. As for baits I wouldn't over complicate it initially and would start with Corn, Maggots, pellets and even a piece of bread flake would be worth a try especially if you don't squeeze to much air out of the bread so that it sits on top of the silt

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Cabbages may take a bit more raking out than other types of weed, as they have quite thick stems. I would have a go at removing them a few days before, and then rake again before your fishing session.

spooky1966

Site Supporter
personally i would fish a pole in that situation, beefed up elastics and heavy float and looking for a gap in the cabbages then hang on!!!!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Similar to an estate lake I have fished occasionally - I rake twice during the week before a session and then pre-bait after waiting for half an hour to let everything settle, will generally see tench bubbles within half an hour of the feed going in.

On the morning of the session I will arrive, rake the swim, set up my rods then put if loose feed over the top of my raked area, should have fish feeding by the time I’ve poured out my first coffee.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
personally i would fish a pole in that situation, beefed up elastics and heavy float and looking for a gap in the cabbages then hang on!!!!

If my experiences last weekend are anything to go by then you’d be smashed to bits and risk losing most of the fish you hook

OLD SCHOOL

My rake is always with me, yes rake the swim before and throw some bait out, I would be more worried if it was still there in the morning, remember you can fish right under the lillies as the root could be 2/3 foot away because the leave's rise to the top and then spread out