Will anyone be fishing on the 16th?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I drove past the Warks Avon near Leamington today and had butterflies thinking about it.

It's only 11 days to go, so the question is, anyone going to be fishing the river on the first day?

I will probably be heading to the stretch mentioned here for a couple of hours just to try it as I doubt anyone else will be there.

Thinking more about this weir pool, I doubt it will be as good as the other one I fish. Too shallow. Too snaggy. And I don't expect much from the roving stretch above it. Actually thinking about it, I might head to the day ticket stretch at Caunsall instead.

It seems like it might be too busy on the Severn for me, and probably better to wait for the fishing to settle down, but I can't wait to be able to have midweek sessions on the Severn after just a few weeks. I don't blame anyone if they are going though as the excitement is kicking in now.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Seeing as I’m furloughed and only have a couple days coming up with other commitments then if weather allows I intend to fish the 16th, 17th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th and 26th.

Massively excited to just be able to go fishing without having to faff around getting money for day tickets then interacting with someone to get a day ticket and there generally just being more space and therefore quieter banks and that’s without even taking into account how much I prefer river fishing anyway. Have had some very enjoyable day ticket stillwater fishing recently but it does come with a fair bit of extra faff atm. I don’t expect the rivers to be up to much initially as they rarely fish all that well in the first couple weeks of the season but as long as I catch a few I’ll just be happy to be back in the surroundings of a river again.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's almost 7 days in a row so very admirable. I will probably end up like that after a few weeks, every spare moment hopefully.

You can guarantee someone will be up at the crack of dawn to get the usual weir pool peg near me, but I think that's where I will concentrate my efforts before I get paid on the 24th but I never know.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I want to get in as much fishing as I can before going back to work as I won't get this much time again. Will provide opportunities to try more swims so I can add some new ones to my list of bankers for when I'm back to just fishing weekends and days off.

Tbh the only thing that's stopped me fishing virtually every week day the weathers allowed in the last few weeks is the faff and expense of getting cash for day tickets. Obviously I'll be spending more on petrol and bait when the rivers open so I won't actually save any money but I'll be getting more fishing for my buck so to speak.

Also whilst I've really enjoyed my Stillwater waggler fishing for silvers in the last couple weeks or so I think I'm probably only one more session (probably Monday or Tuesday) off needing a change and apart from maybe trying this reservoir for bream there's not much else I can do that appeals to me that's available atm. On the rivers I can fish for any coarse species on waggler, stick or feeder or fish for predators with bait or lures and I can do any of them from the bank, wading or from my boat so just offers a lot more variety.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In the meantime I'm not that enthused about going places. My new found Tench venue stresses me out a bit thinking about at the moment even though it's free as they're not collecting day tickets during CV, but because it is a busy park and you're fishing basically from the path. Although it was alright to leave me tackle there and pop to the loo.

I'm basically hoping Stourport in particular doesn't get too busy midweek so I can pop along for float fishing sessions there without getting up too early as I only counted about 10 pegs. That and I hope it turns out to fish alright too. Can see me spending a lot of time there even though it seems like you have to park up in the basin in front of the fair, pay £6 for that, and then walk across the main town centre bridge.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't think anywhere will be too busy on the week days as even this week the lake I fished was quieter than the week before with lots of people seemingly back at work judging by the increased traffic so given shop workers will have gone back by the 16th there should be less and less people about on week days with each passing day. Can see weekends being hell for a long time though as they're only going to get busier as more people go back to work whilst other forms of entertainment are still off limits so people won't have much else to do.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I've found a spot on the canal that I've been pre baiting and hope to spend 16th evening fishing it. Spotted a 7ish lb mirror carp in the margins while baiting

Joe C

I’m concentrating on float fishing the wye conditions allowing. Very excited!

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Nah I'll be stuck at work, I'll have to wait for the weekend :(

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
No, I generally don't rush to the river until well after opening day. It's generally poor for at least a couple of weeks. I'd rather stay on the syndicate battering the tench while they are still obliging. Besides, starting on the 15th of June, I've actually got some work lined up for the first time in almost a year. March through to the end of June is my usual peak work period. I can't afford to turn down whatever is going this year.

Last edited:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I drove past the Warks Avon near Leamington today and had butterflies thinking about it.

It's only 11 days to go, so the question is, anyone going to be fishing the river on the first day?

I will probably be heading to the stretch mentioned here for a couple of hours just to try it as I doubt anyone else will be there.

Thinking more about this weir pool, I doubt it will be as good as the other one I fish. Too shallow. Too snaggy. And I don't expect much from the roving stretch above it. Actually thinking about it, I might head to the day ticket stretch at Caunsall instead.

It seems like it might be too busy on the Severn for me, and probably better to wait for the fishing to settle down, but I can't wait to be able to have midweek sessions on the Severn after just a few weeks. I don't blame anyone if they are going though as the excitement is kicking in now.
You must be the most indecisive person I know lol. You changed your mind twice then mid post :ROFLMAO::D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Where to go and what to do is another question altogether. I’ve got a rough plan for those first couple weeks but it’s all very weather, crowds and fish feeding dependant so it’ll likely change by the day lol

Keith Sparky

I will the Wye a go maybe for a few hours late in the evening as I am still off work practicing for retirement

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'd like to try the Wye, it's just about on the edge of distance I'm prepared to travel, but BAA only has Stacklands, and that's an hour and half away. So I'm more likely to stick to the Severn, Warks Avon, Teme and local Stour.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Opening few sessions will be Clifton Hampden or northmoor for me. Will leave sandford and certainly medley until the initial rush dies down given their proximity to oxford.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a point. My work is picking up at the moment so probably be working anyway.