Wildlife.

matti

Site Supporter
After a bad afternoon fishing on the canal that seems to hold few fish, is there anything better than a kingfisher mocking you.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Matt have to Agree i love the sight of them Birds, i see a few on the Wharfe near the Cock Beck Bend many a time ive sat on my way back for a few minutes hoping to catch a glimpse of em.

davepellet

don't know how many bites I've missed on waters near me when one flies past

sat totally focussed on your float, dotted right down waiting for a tiny dither from a crucian, then your peripheral vision acknowledges a movement, then you notice the startling colour & your eyes latch on to the movement & follow it as far as you can still see it, then think "what a beautiful bird!" (not for the first time), and your eyes drift back to your float just as it's re-settling itself after a plethora of crucians and tench annihilating your bait

don't know how many bites I've missed on waters near me when one flies past

sat totally focussed on your float, dotted right down waiting for a tiny dither from a crucian, then your peripheral vision acknowledges a movement, then you notice the startling colour & your eyes latch on to the movement & follow it as far as you can still see it, then think "what a beautiful bird!" (not for the first time), and your eyes drift back to your float just as it's re-settling itself after a plethora of crucians and tench annihilating your bait

Love your response

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There are 2 Kingfishers that flutter around our club waters. Always a pleasure to see them.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I think they Hang around the cock beck where it enters the River for easy Pickings they are nearly always There.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Only time i ever saw a kingfisher was in maybe 1990/91 on the river erewash, seems to be a rare sight.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's a mink that lives on the opposite bank to a river I fish a lot. Someone told me the rail put next to weir was so it could cross the bridge without using the road. Not sure if I believe that. I like Kingfishers and bird watching but only recently got into being able to identify what the different species are through a relative.

Arch

Site Supporter
In the five seasons I've fished the river Dove for Barbel, I've never failed to see a Kingfisher, sometimes a pair. Sat down low, you can hear them coming. Then that unmistakable electric Blue flash. Lovely.

rudd

Site Supporter
We have a pair on a club water - one was using a members rod as a Perch a few weeks back.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
On tuesday fishing at a club lake, l saw a kingfisher being chased by a sparrowhawk, no contest really.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Used to do some contracting at the Syngenta chemical works in Huddersfield and a river runs through the plant, and oddly enough I’ve seen more kingfishers ( and trout) in this stretch than all my fishing venues put together!