Wild animals.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I sat with a cuppa earlier on this morning and started to ponder over otters, mink and wild boar etc.

We had otters, wild boar, wolves and further back even bear, running around, what impact on the environment did they they have back then? :unsure:

How did the natural world cope with it or deal with it, was it affected by it as much as it is today ? :unsure:

How did it affect our anscesters and how did they cope with it ? :unsure:

Then I moved onto, we are now seeing bigger fish than ever before, is it due to the lack of these animals having a major effect ?:unsure:

Why are cormorants inland so much ? :unsure:

We put more and more fertiliser on our crops and agricultural land so this must be leaching into the water courses and giving water plants a boost, so going up the food chain and eventually into the fish we angle for doesn't it ? :unsure:

We have some strange thoughts don't we when it's quite, you've got a pot of tea and you are on you're own.
:unsure:
Well I do anyway. :) :);)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
When we had wolves and bears the population was a hundredth of what it is to-day. Otters and Boar are still running around. The country was covered in woodland.
We are seeing bigger fish because they get fed more. Wild Carp - the ancestors of the fish that were introduced here as food for Fridays - would never reach the size that the modern aquatic zeppelins do on their high protein diets of pellets and boilies. Other fish living in the same water are eating the same and getting bigger. Tench and Bream grow to sizes that were unimaginable when I started seriously fishing circa 1960.
Cormorants are a nuisance inland because we've supplied them with easy pickings.
You're correct about agricultural run-off. It's the price that we pay for wanting cheap food. The available land for agriculture is lessening as the populace is growing and demanding housing. The village of Southwater where I now live is now a growing town of some 19,000 souls. The hundreds of houses that's have and are being built are all occupying what was once farmland.