WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
cos they run across the road in front of the car as the angler rushes to the water.

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi FM,

I don't know what you mean, I've never run one over yet pontiac.gif

Lol, Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi FM,

Thanks, OK a serious answer to a serious question:

To be honest I don't really know. Most youngsters that I meet on the bank are there to fish and get on with it. Many a time when I'm out, especially when catching, I'll get a couple of lads coming up over the day enquiring what methods and bait I'm using because they too want to catch and are willing to learn.
Some anglers are quite willing to pass their knowledge on but like in all areas of daily life, some people aren't for various reasons. I don't personally think it's anything in particular but society in general (IMO) trends towards suspicion when someone unknown to them starts to ask questions or becomes too familiar.
Sometimes I think it's all too easy to protect one's self by shunning others.

I don't know what others feelings are on this maybe you could give yours from a youngsters eye

Dave

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Hi FM I dont know from where you ar from but here in south wales I have not seen any young people tured away or ignored on the bank, I seem to remember you brought this subject up a short time ago on another board maybee its the area you are from or maybee people are getting the wrong signals from you when you ask a question if this is so please dont give up asking but try a different approach when askingif people see that you genuinely are seeking help I am sure you wont be ignored you certainly would not around here anyway.

hope that help

Dai Fish

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Lol When i go fising at 15 im a sterotype some anglers just ignore us where the next generation of anglers us kids need to learn to pass it on to our offspring and son on the majority of anglers are help full a few are arrogant.
But daves rite its the society in general...
ak47.gif Regards Gf
[h6]Take me toThe Maggotdrowners[/h6]

Nige

It's all in the way you approach someone, LOUD kids get short answers so that they go away, but whenever a teenager/novice comes up to me quietly and politley, I love to chat and give advice if I can. With me, its got nothing to do with age, someone who's loud and runs up to you can spoil the peg.

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nige,

You have hit the nail on the head. I am always willing to help young anglers, it is how they ask for advice.

One fishery I use frequently, White Springs near Swansea, seemed to have a resident horde of ill mannered kids running about the bank, shouting at each other and generally ruining the fishing for the rest of us. Thank fully they are only summer residents.

Bad it may seem, but these are the kind I will not help. If some young lad is genuinely interested in the sport I will give him all the help I can. though that might not be very much.

I do object to being asked for different bits of kit, or baits because the person fishing hasn't thought of it, and that has applied to the older generation as well.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Well today when fishing with my cousin about 3 hours into it.
2 kids came up there was about 14 of them you know the TYPICAL 'cool teenager; asked me if i had some spare maggots so i had two pints so i give him about quarter, 10 mins later ,he asked my cousin if he had any maggots ,he replyed what do you think it is charity week lol.Now they are sterotypes .They were just seein who could cast the furthest and fishghting and TALKing very loud i was gettin relly p***** at this moment so we went to the navie, Now when other anglers ignore me i will just think of them and just think!!!

ps. Why would you go fishing with no Bait???????????

Regards Gf

Nige

The LOUD boys really do my head in when they come up to you on the scrounge. But having said that, I was fishing on Paddock at Billy Makins a couple of years ago, its one of the "quieter" pools, when a couple of loud ones moved in next to me. After a couple of hours of noise and them catching nothing, I was about to move to another pool, when one of them came over. He was on the scrounge for some of my sweetcorn as they couldn't catch on the maggies and I'd had 2 or 3 nice chub.
Instead of giving them some and moving on I said that they stood a better chance of catching something with maggie than with the corn. "Nah" he said "we haven't caught anything, so it must be the bait". Well I got chatting, went over and ended up having a BRILLIANT morning showing them how to refine their rigs, plumb up properly, ect, and getting fantastic reations when they caught. It really made it worthwhile and hopefully they just might still be fishing.

Nige

GF, when you fire out a 'pult loaded with maggies, it hits the back of your hand, and they all end up in your hair and down your T shirt, then you get scared !

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Lol today i didnt put the maggots box lid on propley all the maggots ended up in my boz well about half a pint Lol
and they have bin donw my back as a prank Lol

Regards Gf

Cyprinid_boy

I just think anglers have a gene that arises with old age its the miserable old git gene. Back to the fishing shop scenario one thinks. Enjoy your fishing chaps and keep shunning those kids!!! (only joking, please dont moderate me, please)

Cyp.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gawd the temptation is there Mat, who you calling an old git, just 'cause I'm 10 years older than you

I love kids, just couldn't eat two of them though

Dave

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave, the eating of them is easy, its getting the bones out of your teeth that is difficult

thumbsup.gif Geoff

yeah gret responses to that. Round my house their the bloody same
Oh have ya got some mags laa they get on your nerves ya just want to get up and punch them. They ask for everything ya may as well give them all ya bait. Have ya noticed the not so keen ones come in gangs to pee all the other kids off. Then when ya tell the fella that their messin round when he kicks them off its uproar. Chairs thrown in the pond potatoes thrown at ya and fn this an fn that theres a paintball factory next to it so they all come their to rob paintballs. The little scallys GOIN_FISHIN is totally right they hog all ya stuff and they only come in summer because they can sit off in the warm sun. Ya get a break in winter though coz they never come.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
fishingmad1 - you have very valid points here.

I will briefly describe a barrel of the sort I'm going to mention just in case you've never seen one. Various sorts of spirits are kept in wooden barrels. Time was a barrel would be directly tapped with a spigot and drink served from there. To make it easier, they were built with a bung hole of the correct size for the spigot and it was plugged with a bung (round wooden plug) until ready to be tapped.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teenagers should be raised in a barrel and fed thru the bung hole. When they turn 18, you have to decide to let them out or to just put in the bung.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 of my 9 kids were boys and there were a couple who would never have been released from the barrel. I think you have met some of the same sort.

Shame though that many "adults" decide all kids are the same without meeting them. I put "adults" in quote marks since I don't really think they are adult, just older.

I'm nearly 60 now but can still clearly remember some treatment by grown-ups that made me mad then and still does now if I think about it.

And I firmly believe that kids who fish are the best of the lot. Too many other ways to raise hell if you are so inclined. I suspect that most who do actually fish and still cause problems are ones who just need to be shown how to fish properly.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.