Why such massive nets?

badgerale

"Carpers rule stillwaters"
Utter garbage - most angling for Carp is conducted by pleasure and match anglers.
If the only option is to fish carp focused waters then all anglers are going to be 'angling for carp' regardless of whether they are 'pleasure', 'specimen' or 'match'.

But it's true, lakes seem to be loosely divided into 'runs waters' with lots of small carp, and specimen waters with fewer big carp. Tackle restrictions tend to be in place in specimen lakes, but not always in runs lakes.

Though it only takes one big carp to mean that suddenly everyone needs a 42 inch net, and as carp do tend to grow quickly, unless they are actively removed then that will be the rule everywhere.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Sorry Badgerale but you are talking rubbish and I would love to know where you are getting your information from.
"But it's true, lakes seem to be loosely divided into 'runs waters' with lots of small carp, and specimen waters with fewer big carp."
The majority on this forum who post actively are either pleasure, match or both, with a high percentage who fish the pole - there are very few Carp specific anglers.
So that covers a lot of anglers and a lot of waters up and down the country.
I cannot think of one day ticket commercial fishery that I have fished over the past twenty years that has only had Carp and no other species.

Please list all the waters you know where 42" landing nets are mandatory

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
No fishery I know of has this rule.
I've largely encountered it on out and out big carp waters, places that the majority on here wouldn't set foot on. However, I've known of it being applied on more mixed fisheries (club and day ticket) where the focus is often on the big carp that are present. In either case, I've sometimes found that challenging the requirement (along with minimum rod test curves and line strengths) can result in the baffled/baffling admission that it only applies if you are fishing for carp.

satinet

Site Supporter
I can't imagine what you've been using. I've used big metal framed barbel and pike nets without an issue. I've also used spreader block type 32, 36 and 42" landing nets without needing any assistance. I'm not built like Arnie.
I've got a korum net for "big fish". Quite hard to handle I find compared to a match net and not really necessary.

Whenever I see people using really big nets they struggle to move the net to the fish.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"Whenever I see people using really big nets they struggle to move the net to the fish."
That's because you don't
You draw the fish over the stationary net and once the fish is in, put the rod down and draw the net towards you.
Grab hold of the spreader block with one hand, net with the other and lift out.

rudd

Site Supporter
I've got a korum net for "big fish". Quite hard to handle I find compared to a match net and not really necessary.

Whenever I see people using really big nets they struggle to move the net to the fish.
You dont chase big carp with a net.
Read my earlier post on why carl anglers use big nets.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter

You aren't going to scoop fish like some folks do with small match nets. However, that style of netting fish is a relatively recent development that's pretty much unique to the modern match scene (and overly enthusiastic beginners). The vast majority of anglers, especially specimen anglers will have been taught to position the net and draw the fish to it. Anyone attempting to "help" me net a fish that stabbed at fish with the landing net, or moved it unnecessarily, would not be netting for me a second time.

satinet

Site Supporter
You dont chase big carp with a net.
Read my earlier post on why carl anglers use big nets.

What's big? Often you see people trying to bank say high doubles with a trawler net and it's quite hard work.

Fish be a lot safer it was netted and put back quickly not given a full bank side service and photo shoot.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You shouldn't chase any fish with a net - it's just bad practice.
"Fish be a lot safer it was netted and put back quickly not given a full bank side service and photo shoot."
Be even safer if we never fished for them at all.

You would be surprised how many big fish Carp anglers actually take the time to look at the fish and will go to the trouble of putting anti-septic/fungal applications to fish with wounds.
Those fish will be better treated than those who are just put back quickly or those placed in over filled nets

satinet

Site Supporter
You shouldn't chase any fish with a net - it's just bad practice.
"Fish be a lot safer it was netted and put back quickly not given a full bank side service and photo shoot."
Be even safer if we never fished for them at all.

You would be surprised how many big fish Carp anglers actually take the time to look at the fish and will go to the trouble of putting anti-septic/fungal applications to fish with wounds.
Those fish will be better treated than those who are just put back quickly or those placed in over filled nets
Yeah they're highly effective treatments....

badgerale

Sorry Badgerale but you are talking rubbish and I would love to know where you are getting your information from.
"But it's true, lakes seem to be loosely divided into 'runs waters' with lots of small carp, and specimen waters with fewer big carp."
The majority on this forum who post actively are either pleasure, match or both, with a high percentage who fish the pole - there are very few Carp specific anglers.
So that covers a lot of anglers and a lot of waters up and down the country.
I cannot think of one day ticket commercial fishery that I have fished over the past twenty years that has only had Carp and no other species.

Please list all the waters you know where 42" landing nets are mandatory
No I'm sorry Mr Richards, I wasn't making myself clear.

The point isn't that everyone thinks of themselves as 'carpers' but that almost every angler who predominately fishes lakes will be fishing for carp by default. Not by choice exactly but simply because you cannot ignore the carp if they are there - which they are, 99% of the time.

You can, of course, fish for whatever species of fish is in a lake, and identify yourself as a pleasure angler or an Attack Helicopter, but whatever you do you'll likely be catching carp. So it's less being 'carp specific' as it is accepting the carp focused reality of lake fishing.

Which you seem to find hard to understand. Perhaps you think because you can choose specific baits and tackle to target carp, that the reverse is true and people can choose the right gear to not catch them. This isn't the case, there is no way of targeting tench or bream or big roach, which won't also include carp - even spinning for perch can catch them. Partly this is the voracious nature of the fish, partly it's the fact that the stocking is usually so heavily in the favour of carp.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How can you say that when the fish is out of the water for the obligatory weigh, photos, pose to mates, look over it for any sign of injuries, apply whatever potions and lotions without any veterinary knowledge, and finally when the fish is gasping or it's body temperature has gone through the roof compared to normal and it's half baked, it's finally put back into the water and expected to swim off happily into the watery equivalent of the sunset :D

At least with match fishing it's catch. land, unhook, into the keepnet or weigh and straight back into the water - all done in a speedily manner

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Oh David you are a one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Everyone knows that Carpers all catch the same fish fifty times a season so the next lucky angler also gets to check that the "potions" worked .

"At least with match fishing it's catch. land, unhook, into the keepnet or weigh and straight back into the water - all done in a speedily manner"
Yes I will give you that one and you also provide the social aspect in that they have the safety in numbers of being with 20 of their mates all housed together :ROFLMAO:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh David you are a one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Everyone knows that Carpers all catch the same fish fifty times a season so the next lucky angler also gets to check that the "potions" worked .

"At least with match fishing it's catch. land, unhook, into the keepnet or weigh and straight back into the water - all done in a speedily manner"
Yes I will give you that one and you also provide the social aspect in that they have the safety in numbers of being with 20 of their mates all housed together :ROFLMAO:
Most matches I've fished don't allow fish over 10lbs to be kept in keepnets - the rule is generally to get it weighed, witnessed and back into the water, not the net.
Most match anglers can also guess the weight of a fish within a reasonable level of inaccuracy so why do we need to have the obligatory weigh for anything carp-like regardless of whether it's a six pounder or whatever?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I know Dave I have match fishing in my past as well.
We are all anglers and many will go through phases of having spells of trying a different aspect before doing something else.
There are a few anglers though who will always be blinkered and negative and it will be their loss that they cannot be open minded and just enjoy fishing for what it is.
Posted many times before that my affliction is Barbel and there are many aspects of Carp rigs and baiting that I have tried to develop to suit the way I now fish for the Whiskers.
Angling can be whatever you want it to be and repetitively moaning over and over again about the same thing achieves nothing other than perpetuating the bitterness.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
why do we need to have the obligatory weigh for anything carp-like regardless of whether it's a six pounder or whatever?
You'll struggle to find experienced carpers that are willing to weigh anything that's obviously less than whatever their own personal benchmark minimum is. If you find carpers that are weighing every fish, then they are either a) rabid OCD statisticians that record everything for posterity, b) Fishing a water that requires every fish to be weighed and photographed (usually to keep track of fish stock, breeding and weight gains), c) a young/inexperienced and keen angler that's not yet jaded enough to be unimpressed by fish less than a certain size, d) the carping equivalent of a non-match angler that's keen to use a keepnet whenever possible.