Why such massive nets?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
First line of squimps reply for me, although i would add the caveat of 'some' into that, as to be careful to not blanket all owners.

Think the rule or any where the type of kit to be used is mandatory leans more towards having the following reasons, and all rules have their reasoning behind them, you would hope that reason is always fish welfare reasons wouldn't you?

The water is a predominately a specimen water, if such a thing can exist in these times of people targeting anything and everything 'local' to them and also many fishing, either new to it or returning. The owner may just want anglers fishing the water who fish in a specimen way and is using the rule to deter, but not completely turn away anglers with other approaches. Wrong for me, as essentially you are saying yes i'll have your money thanks very much, if you want to sit on a box and try and land fish with a 42" net. It's just another way ensuring exclusivity and no different to pricing people out of a venue or worse, un-welcomed out of a venue.

Much to do with also, how the venue is marketed and look at what happens, when someone turns up on a fishery and fishes differently to the others, they get condemned largely, that may be someone going for silvers on a specimen water or someone using specimen tactics on a match water.

Think such rules need a serious re-think in these times, if new and returning anglers alike are going to feel welcomed at their 'local' fishery.

Scenario, newbie or returner gets into/back into fishing, gets some kit after watching (insert name of related angler to the fishing they plan to do here), then sees or has rules pointed out to them, rules that would confuse the hell out of some, including experienced and continuing anglers.

When i read such posts/threads i think back to a fishery and fortunately local to me, that gets it right for all.
Main stock and main emphasis is specimen sized carp, but over the course of a typical week and before covid, many specimen and overnighting on occasion specimen anglers are on there, the retired anglers have a weekly silvers match, others are down there fishing match style and also an ideal venue due to the variety of fish present, to introduce youngsters to the sport. Same during covid too of course, bar the match aspect currently.

All of the above are keenly welcomed and also their preferred way of fishing is respected in sensible rules, crucially and to all of this, i don't see any fish welfare issues on the venue.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Fish sensibly when on that venue in other words. If targetting the big carp (24 8 so far), then yes i use specimen gear, net, mat the lot. If targeting other species in there, then i use kit to suit the species. Sensible being the key word, as rules should be, dependent on who the owner/fishery is looking to attract, ultimately there, its their bat and ball.

Nasha

I'm going to fish a place this weekend with a minimum 24" landing net rule. My match nets are only 16 and 18", so when I go to pick up my bait on Friday ill be buying a 24" net. No problem complying with the rules, but my question is would it be frowned upon to ask the fishery on arrival if I can use one of my regular match nets until a point when I actually (hopefully) hook into something bigger.. I wont be targeting specimen sized carp but the chance of hooking into one on the feeder or pellet wag is possible.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
This is why I keep dripping on about places with lots of lakes which have water pigs in every one. My club has nine lakes available, every one of them infested with water pigs. So, when I go fishing I have to lug a big landing net down with me "just in case".

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I'm fishing a match where there is a chance of big Carp then I'll set up a separate large landing net just in case.
The net I use is a 60cm MAP CFS and it's more than capable of handling fish in excess of 20lb, after all its net, unhook, weigh and back in the water. Not retaining it for any period of time, photos, or until the sun comes up ;)

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
I reckon it's partly to do with a certain marketing trend to solve a problem that doesn't often exist. Pushed by the web and print media marketing machine...

Carpers often seem to buy huge nets for the fish they wish they we're catching, not what's in front of them. (Before they get upset I'll admit I have fly reels that never see the bonefish capable drag used at all even with my biggest fish).

For the rest of us (like rods) we now need multiple nets for different fish. Even better we now need a huge net for a fish that we aren't targeting and isn't present in the water we're fishing to keep alongside the net we do need and use. Kerching!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If I took a massive net with me my dad would call it 'optimism' - he always says that when I take a keepnet. :LOL:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
" Even better we now need a huge net for a fish that we aren't targeting"
You may not be targeting it but you have no control on whether one takes your bait.
If the fishery owner deems it is part of their fish welfare policy then accept or don't go there.
Unless the owners specify you have to buy the net to use at their fishery the "kerching" is nonsense

satinet

Site Supporter
I think you're more likely to leave a fish with a hook length in it's mouth with a huge landing net because they are too heavy to easily net fish.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Why two? I manage with one 18 inch net. Plenty big enough for the odd ten pound fish.
It's a question of fishery rules. About half the ones I go to insist on a large net (for Carp) and a smaller net for silvers. More and more fisheries are going down this route.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
That's just your lakes Pete and with fish to 30lb so is that a reflection of it being "common" ?
We have a UK wide range of anglers on here and a lot will fish Commies.
How many of those waters require that you use a 42" net for lower double finure Carp?
To be honest mate, I haven't a clue. As I answered Neil ofthe nene's question, it seems that more and more fisheries are now insisting going down that route, or at least round here they are. All I'm doing is following the fishery rules. There's a 'commie' near me that has the same rule.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
More and more commercials have large Carp. So much so that many are stopping match fishing on some of their lakes. A couple of venues I fish have fish around 20lb. So if I draw on one of those waters I always have 2 landing nets set up.

satinet

Site Supporter

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Big nets need someone else with both hands. Don't know how you are supposed to use them one handed.
I can't imagine what you've been using. I've used big metal framed barbel and pike nets without an issue. I've also used spreader block type 32, 36 and 42" landing nets without needing any assistance. I'm not built like Arnie.

badgerale

It's just the way things are. Every lake now holds carp, and those carp are getting bigger and bigger.

Carpers rule stillwaters, and if you want to fish there you need to pay deference to the bloated lake cows.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
In the modern world where fish are larger and more accessible than before the need to have the tackle to fish for them safely and effectively is a necessity.
Some seem really hung up and obsessed with being anti-Carp that they fail to see that there are other things going on around them.
A fair few anglers will fish for more than just Carp and a 42" net is just about right for large Barbel,Catfish,Pike and even Sturgeon.
You need to let your bitterness go chaps because the only ones that are being affected are yourselves.

"Carpers rule stillwaters"
Utter garbage - most angling for Carp is conducted by pleasure and match anglers.