Why Shimano

Fred Davis

No need for bits of rubber to use as a line stop or winding the line around 20 times lol modern reels have line clips built for clipping up, the make and mend attitude is as outdated as the shimano reels, just but a modern reel from daiwa :)

BarryS

Gone fishing
No need for bits of rubber to use as a line stop or winding the line around 20 times lol modern reels have line clips built for clipping up, the make and mend attitude is as outdated as the shimano reels, just but a modern reel from daiwa :)
Thats all very well until a super-fast 12lb carp runs and your line hits the clip and as you know things can happen very fast.. Ok if you have set your drag right that might do the trick. But I still like my inner tube method :)

Worg70

Watch extreme philly fishing YouTube, interesting to see different things, watched his latest vid today he's very disappointed in the recent lack of quality in shimano reels, he's based in USA

Total

Site Supporter
Watch extreme philly fishing YouTube, interesting to see different things, watched his latest vid today he's very disappointed in the recent lack of quality in shimano reels, he's based in USA
Jeez, he's hard going trying to watch his You Tube vids!:oops::ROFLMAO:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
You can still buy modern Daiwa reels with feeble plastic clips. As I've said, it makes no odds to me how poor a clip is, I only use them for line storage. However, I have Daiwa EM-MS from just a couple of years back. They are cracking reels, but they have feeble plastic line clips. By the same token, I have modern Shimano reels with perfectly good sprung metal button type line clips (though there's still a backside covering "use for line storage only" disclaimer). If line clips make or break a reel for you, you need to do your research before buying. Basing future purchasing decisions on the idea that all Shimano reels have poor clips, and all Daiwa reels have good clips, may bite the unwary if they buy blind.

However, I fully agree with your view on not having to go down the Heath Robinson route to make something work as you want it to though.