Why Shimano

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I have two of the shimano stradics gtm with fighting drag, these have been hardly used thrown into storage as another bad buy, what i found was that when clipped up the plastic line clips bent out after a couple of matches this resulted in the bent line clips catching the line in a facing wind, easily rectified as the quality was so poor you could bend them back
I'm guessing you never read the instructions. Shimano has had a disclaimer about the use of line clips for years. It states categorically that the line clips are only intended for line storage. I'm sure that they know damned well that many users are likely to use them to cast to though. The plastic tab type line clips are useless for much more than holding line between use. The sprung metal are better, but I suspect that the disclaimer is still used for them too. Daiwa's plastic line clips aren't any better.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
They’ve always made top class reels & were the first manufacturer to bring freespool reels to the market with their baitrunners but the quality of the reels they produce today are not the quality they were 15 or 20 years ago. Their carps reels in particular were always bullet proof & rarely went wrong whereas today, it appears the components that they use are not of the same quality. They’re still decent reels though but others have caught up & offer similar quality for a lot less money

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Imho they make great reels from the base models through the top of the range. Never had a shimano give up on me yet and some from base to mid range i have had years with no servicing. Whether we are talking a base model in say a 2000 i use for waggler or pellet waggler getting a constant hammer or the beefier ones that for years now have been retrieving 4-8oz leads on the Trent.

Last edited:

ravey

I had a couple of the earlier ones, but both have long since been binned after seizing up. I liked the aero wrap on the 2500 match reel, but the lip of the spool was too far for me to reach comfortably, and made trotting awkward and unpleasant.

BoldBear

Every ‘front drag’ Diawa reel that I’ve owned has had ‘undersized’ diameter spools which when loaded with mid breaking strain lines (5lb plus) tends to curl the line a tad as it leaves the spool even on lines with only a little memory.
Every ‘rear drag’ Diawa reel that I’ve owned feels clunky and fairly heavy when compared to a similar sized Shimano reel; except for the smallest of Diawas rear drag reels; which have a spool size that’s too small for my liking anyway.

That’s why all of the reels I use most tend to be made by Shimano. However this is about to change as Shimano have decided to get rid of their anti reverse switches on their front drag reels which will either force me to buy second hand front drag shimmies from the web or change my allegences to other manufactures; maybe including Diawa.

I have loads of older Shimano reels most (but not all) of which have rear drags and they’ve allways given me good service (so far).

Keith

Last edited:

peterb

Site Supporter
Every ‘front drag’ Diawa reel that I’ve owned has had ‘undersized’ diameter spools which when loaded with mid breaking strain lines (5lb plus) tends to curl the line a tad as it leaves the spool even on lines with only a little memory.
Every ‘rear drag’ Diawa reel that I’ve owned feels clunky and fairly heavy when compared to a similar sized Shimano reel; except for the smallest of Diawas rear drag reels; which have a spool size that’s too small for my liking anyway.

That’s why all of the reels I use most tend to be made by Shimano. However this is about to change as Shimano have decided to get rid of their anti reverse switches on their front drag reels which will either force me to buy second hand front drag shimmies from the web or change my allegences to other manufactures; maybe including Diawa.

I have loads of older Shimano reels most (but not all) of which have rear drags and they’ve allways given me good service (so far).

Keith
To be fair I've got a Shimano Sedona front drag reel and although it felt a bit strange at first not being able to backwind I did get used to it and certainly don't find it a problem , it has a nice smooth drag and is a good reel .

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
On the quality of Shimmie reels aspect ,now they have competition it doesn't make sense to produce expensive reels as lower priced reels do the same job and with so many options there is more likelihood that the users will replace more repeatedly than days gone by.
Shimmie's ST range is budget priced and the 6000 is one of their all time best sellers

As before with threads such as this it is forgotten that we are only a small consumer section on the global scale and Mr Wong in SE Asia is not going to be spending £400 (3489.64 Yuan) on a baitrunner

Fred Davis

I agree Sam the plastic line clips were just a minor problem with the shimano stradics and definately not made for clipping up, the biggest problem was the bale arm prematurely closing when casting out a feeder and the struggle to reach the spool with your finger, however the various responses I had from shimano also made me decide to switch to a better reel, when I look at the stradics which cost me over £90 when I purchased them amd compare them to a daiwa procaster reel which cost me £30 there was no comparason which reel performed better, I see that on e bay the daiwa procaster reels are now priced at £90 but when they first came out being sold as a spinning reel as opposed to a match reel they were very cheap with all the main features of a lot of there top reels apart from no shallow spool air bale etc etc but more importantly they worked hassle free and still to this day many years later, the shimanoes stay boxed in storage after a handful of uses, I suppose I should put them on e bay however I would feel a bit guilty selling inferior product to a fellow angler

BarryS

Gone fishing
I'm guessing you never read the instructions. Shimano has had a disclaimer about the use of line clips for years. It states categorically that the line clips are only intended for line storage. I'm sure that they know damned well that many users are likely to use them to cast to though. The plastic tab type line clips are useless for much more than holding line between use. The sprung metal are better, but I suspect that the disclaimer is still used for them too. Daiwa's plastic line clips aren't any better.
Just cut a 1/4 inch slice of bike inner tube ...cast and then put it over the spool. it will stop your cast just like a line clip. But if a 20 lb carp decides to run your line will pull through the rubber.....much safer than a line clip

stikflote

Site Supporter
If shimano are taking the anti reverse off then cant see those reels being any good for feeder work ??

I ve read that on some reels you cant back wind i would have thought you can backwind on any reel
isnt it a case of back winding the reel with anti reverse off

Its not something i ever do

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
One of the best improvements on reels, imho, is the infinite anti reverse. How many of you can remember that little clunk, just as you had tensioned the tip to your liking, and said tip losing all its bend.

BarryS

Gone fishing
If shimano are taking the anti reverse off then cant see those reels being any good for feeder work ??

I ve read that on some reels you cant back wind i would have thought you can backwind on any reel
isnt it a case of back winding the reel with anti reverse off

Its not something i ever do
I never backwind......never have. Always rely on setting the dray right and even adjusting it when playing a fish

BarryS

Gone fishing
On the quality of Shimmie reels aspect ,now they have competition it doesn't make sense to produce expensive reels as lower priced reels do the same job and with so many options there is more likelihood that the users will replace more repeatedly than days gone by.
Shimmie's ST range is budget priced and the 6000 is one of their all time best sellers

As before with threads such as this it is forgotten that we are only a small consumer section on the global scale and Mr Wong in SE Asia is not going to be spending £400 (3489.64 Yuan) on a baitrunner
Not when he can buy one on Aliexpress for less than a tenner.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Just cut a 1/4 inch slice of bike inner tube ...cast and then put it over the spool. it will stop your cast just like a line clip. But if a 20 lb carp decides to run your line will pull through the rubber.....much safer than a line clip
I rarely do anything but float fish. Line clips are just for securing line between trips as far as I'm concerned. However, that doesn't mean that I can't acknowledge that reels with little plastic tab type line clips are pretty rubbish for those that fish to clips.

lucc

I too can not understand this fascination with shimano reels, first buy was shimano open faced match reel now this was a lovely looking reel only one problem line twist, terrible problem worst I have ever encountered finding out some time later that this was a common problem I contacted shimano they advised "Oh theres an easy fix glue up the roller with superglue" I just binned this one, however my mates raved about another shimano reel a few years later stupidly I went out and bought two, I have two of the shimano stradics gtm with fighting drag, these have been hardly used thrown into storage as another bad buy, what i found was that when clipped up the plastic line clips bent out after a couple of matches this resulted in the bent line clips catching the line in a facing wind, easily rectified as the quality was so poor you could bend them back the bail arm was a stretch for my fingers, on trying to force a small ammount of pressure on the cast the bail arm shut abruptly with the feeder dropping with a loud splash or the lads singing whip crack away with a lot of unnecessary chuckling, switched to daiwa never had a problem, my veiw of shimano stick to bycycle gears.
I have found a way to use these plastic line clips for feeder:! Just wrap around it 4 to 6 turns (depending on the diameter) of braid (ie 6 turns of 10/100) or nylon (around 14 to 18/100), and tie a doble knot concealed behind the line clip (on the top of it, that will avoid the spool line to mingle with this knot).
This will have a doble advantage: it will very slightly separate the line clip from the spool, making the operation of line clipping or de-clipping easier. More importantly, the line on the spool (whether nylon or braid), once line clipped will not touch the plastic but the braid (or nylon) that is wrapped between the spool and the line clip. I found this gimmick on my own and have been using it in the last 10 years or so...Very efficient... obviously, still avoid keeping the spool line systematically at the same place from fishing session to another, but I assure you this system will not leave a mark on your spool line (or worse break it) . You barely see it on this picture (stradic CI4 4000):

Attachments

• Capture21b.JPG
    Capture21b.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 14