Why is carp fishing so popular?

Reuben

Site Supporter
All depends on how they go about it, Lee. As per my last paragraph in my post. I’m sure there are many icons of bivvy type fishing but my point is that there’s bugger all craft or sport in being woken up by an alarm to winch in a fish that’s hooked itself. If that’s your & other people’s idea of fishing then they can crack on with it. Fuel to the fire for the ’anti’ brigade imo. I’ve been known to night fish but I fish when I’m awake & don’t use alarms. When I want a few hours kip I wind in then continue to fish when I wake up - but that’s my choice.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I don't bivvy,I don't night fish and don't use alarms but I like to think that I am open mind to not pigeon hole everyone by the actions of a number.
It should be each to their own and as long as permitted, who cares how they choose to fish

On my club pools I will see more anglers fishing sleeper rods whilst on the rod or pole than I will Carp anglers sat on their rods..Most will be on the lead/feeder and use a self hooking rig.
How can an angler with a sleeper rod be in control when they are doing something else?
What is the difference between an alarm and bolt and the method where the fish hooks itself?

Last edited:

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I really hate these "them and us" threads. I know nothing about match fishing, so don't pontificate on the evils or otherwise of match fishers. Ignorance doesn't seem to stop many others from pontificating on the evils of carp anglers.
I am happy to fish in whatever style suits me on the day, be it pole fishing for silvers, trotting a river or fishing behind rods and alarms for pike, sturgeon, catfish or carp. I have to admit, I do have a weakness for something that pulls back a bit. :D

smiffy

Site Supporter
People are often saying that carp (commercial) are easier to catch than other species. I suspect that this is nothing to do with the species but the fact is, that they have been bred on a farm, reared in a stew pond and never been threatened by a predator. If you reared roach in this way and stocked a commercial exclusively with 2lb specimens, imho I think they would, like carp, be easy to catch.
Commercials work by keeping competition for food high. To do this they overstock. If you overstock any species they become easy. It happens naturally aswell but nature balances thing out over a few years.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That's absolute rubbish Smiffy and if was the case any angler regardless of ability would be bagging up every day of the week.

Cob House by me has a 5 hour match record of 500lb,last week's best weight over four contests was 48lb.

smiffy

Site Supporter
That's absolute rubbish Smiffy and if was the case any angler regardless of ability would be bagging up every day of the week.

Cob House by me has a 5 hour match record of 500lb,last week's best weight over four contests was 48lb.
No. Any angler regardless of ability would catch something.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
disregard the fact that its mid march and the weather hasnt been the best of late

smiffy

Site Supporter
I don’t think all waters are the same. But a basic principle applies. If people don’t catch anything, specimen anglers aside, they won’t come back. Simple as.
Moorlands? Cold blooded animal, cold water?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Your question makes no sense @mickthechippy so please enlighten

I think you know exactly what he means, and Peter also pulled you up yesterday.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
In relation to his "and you do of course" question I have no idea what he is asking.
My post was comparing the use of bivvies when fishing for other species.

You bivvy Dave so what are your thoughts on anglers who do so?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Anyway. I think I can trace their popularity back to Kevin Maddocks and Rod Hutchinsons books. Maddocks was the serious,explain all angler and Hutchinson was the “ave a larf“ do a bit of ”guesting” type. All of a sudden people realised they could catch these mythical animals that they only saw in the summer.
I had a go for three or four years and during that time the explosion of bivvies on the bank was amazing. Then there‘s the rush you get when the buzzer goes off and the monkey climbs. Apart from the three foot twitch there’s nothing to beat it. And,,, the fish can be very big.
Carp videos just seem better than the corresponding fare for other types of fishing. Somehow they make it more appealing. Ive no real interest in Carp fishing now but I’ll happily watch them. They make the fishing exciting. That’s what attracts people. They just do a better job.
Most of the bivvie lads I see now do seem to know what they’re talking about. A vital source of info for me. If they’re awake. I do see the odd group of youngsters out for a laugh but it’s better than binge drinking in town I guess. Pre lockdown of course😉 Match vs Carp doesn’t happen on the bank.
Anyone else have the matching 410’s? Tape a matchstick above the spool as a line clip? Buzzers that buzzed? Monkey climbers?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Still use weighted monkeys now if it's very windy and they still do the job.
Mine will be in the garage somewhere. I doubt the betalights in them will still glow. I remember, because it was mainly gravel pit fishing, problems with getting banksticks,climbers and such into the ground. Especially as, even back then, we wanted our rods aligned perfectly. No rod pods back then😂

Reuben

Site Supporter
I really hate these "them and us" threads. I know nothing about match fishing, so don't pontificate on the evils or otherwise of match fishers. Ignorance doesn't seem to stop many others from pontificating on the evils of carp anglers.
I am happy to fish in whatever style suits me on the day, be it pole fishing for silvers, trotting a river or fishing behind rods and alarms for pike, sturgeon, catfish or carp. I have to admit, I do have a weakness for something that pulls back a bit. :D
It’s nothing to do with ‘them & us’. I couldn’t care less how people fish as long as it’s within the law & rules of the fishery & it’s not impinging on me. I have an opinion regarding bivvy angling & their methods by some anglers & nothing I’ve read on here so far has changed it. I’m happy to debate the subject & don’t think anyone has been ‘pontificating’. As I’ve said, if bivvy fishing floats your boat then crack on.

Silver fan 82

Any carp angler who knows what they are doing uses watercraft. As with any aspect of fishing you are constantly looking for visable signs of fish.
Also any decent carp angler will spend ages with a bare lead casting around getting a mental image of the lake bed, what sort of bottom they are fishing over, depth of water, contours, gravel bars, plateaus etc. And then fish a suitable rig and bait for the conditions. If all of the leg work like this has been done then I personally see the bite alarm as just another form of bite detection. Surely no different to watching a float or rod tip?
Alot if you seem to be pigeon holing all carp anglers into the same box? 🤷‍♂️

Silver fan 82

How many carp anglers would give up if the camping element was taken out?
I still think alot of people would carp fish.
Surely if your fishing overnight you want to be comfortable?
What about people that bivvy up for Barbel, Bream, Tench?
Let's throw another spanner in the mix. Alot of big roach are being regularly caught on scaled down carp tactics, boilies, bite alarms etc. Heathens! How dare they! These anglers put alot of time into catching these big roach and bivvy up to catch at dawn and dusk. Shall we all start a witch hunt against specimen roach anglers too then?

Reuben

Site Supporter
Who’s starting a ‘witch hunt’? Appears to me that the only people getting defensive are the ones who don’t like other people commenting on some other anglers methods. Get over yourselves....

Silver fan 82

Who’s starting a ‘witch hunt’? Appears to me that the only people getting defensive are the ones who don’t like other people commenting on some other anglers methods. Get over yourselves....
I couldn't care less how others fish or what they fish for. As long as your enjoying yourself then all is good.