Why is carp fishing so popular?

Reuben

Site Supporter
Controversially, I’m not sure if there’s much skill at all regarding carp fishing. The fish hooks itself, an alarm tells you you’ve got a bite whilst you’re having a kip in your tent/bivvy, then you wind it in on sea type tackle. Hardly sport is it?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Same applies to feeder fishing,pole fishing,lead fishing,float fishing - in fact any method where the fish will pull against a resistance

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've done a fair few nights under a brolly with a pair of rods out, hunting for carp - but almost all of them on my old club lake where the size and number of carp and other specimen fish was not accurately known - and fishing baits that could be (and often were) picked up by big bream and tench which I preferred to catch anyway. The sense of mystery regarding the lake was what made me return time and time again - was there a bigger tench present or even a bigger carp.

The current crop of carp fisheries that are dug, stocked with nothing but carp - all of which are weighed and photographed prior to their introduction - are IMO completely soulless. There's a lake not a million miles away from here that's just been bought and 'redeveloped', all the old fish removed and replaced with "exactly 48 fast growing hand picked carp from high double figure to just over 30lb " For just £500 you can be one of 25 syndicate members to fish one of the 10 pegs shoehorned into a 1.5 acre pond.

I've no idea if £500 is a fair price for this or not but what strikes me about this lake and others that have a low number of known fish stocked is what happens when you've caught them all? Keep going and hope the biggest fish in the lake has put a few ounces on since it was caught last?

And the instant carpers who seem to inhabit these places consider those that fish local day-ticket waters, which in many cases contain carp equally as large as their recently stocked pets, are noddies or dismiss local commercials as 'runs-waters'. There does seem to be some sort of badge of honour amongst carp anglers regarding total failure - spending 100 rod-hours to catch a fish is regarded as a greater achievement than getting half-a-dozen in a single short session.

And why, when fishing a day session on a warm summers day is the erection of an enormous bivvy and the obligatory bed chair seen as essential - is this just to mark you out as a 'proper' carp angler or - as seemed to be the case at a certain boating lake on a large caravan site at Chapel St Leonards last summer - just somewhere to get stoned? It was noticeable that the older anglers travelled light - a couple of rods, net, a chair and a rucksack - and caught far more than those with an entire trolley overloaded with gear.

I'd love to fish Redmire one day just because of the history of the place but all these modern syndicate waters I wouldn't fish even if they free - what's the point when you know what you're gonna catch - it does appear it's just a numbers games to some - your 'skill' as an angler can only be measured by the number of 20lb carp you've caught.

Simon

Silver fan 82

Silver fan 82, re your post. Yes I do think big carp are easier than a 2lb roach. Once you have a decent bait and a decent rig then it's a question of location and time. It's no coincidence that usually the anglers putting in the most time catch the most carp. However; it's next to impossible to single out big (35lb +) carp from the others. I did find that for me garlic did not catch more carp than other flavours but did (reason unknown) seem to sort out the bigger carp.

I have caught six 2lb roach but big roach are very difficult. There are (in the waters I now fish) very few of them. When trying to target them other species get caught: carp, tench, barbel, chub, etc. It's a great challenge, I love it, so many methods and baits to try.
Definitely agree @PJG location is key.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Purely going on my experience alone, the majority of carpers I have come across so far, have been polite, respectful and social. Some have clearly been smoking pot, but aren’t doing any harm to me - I’m not sure I’d share the stance as a fishery owner, but as I’m not it doesn’t bother me.

Just after Christmas, I fished a lake and during the day the temp didn’t get above 2 degrees. I questioned my sanity when I had to deice the car & again on arrival when the lake was still partially frozen.
When setting up a carper went past. He had been fishing another lake and was on his way home. He told me he hadn’t had a bite in 3 days & 3 nights - he still had a smile on his face and was hoping to get back out again in the next week. I’m not sure about you, but I think that experience in the freezing cold would put me off for life.

I personally have no desire to stay out over night as I value my sleep too much, but I really do admire overnight Carpers grit, determination & patience - especially in winter.

rudd

Site Supporter
I now know where I am going wrong and the reason I blank when specimen fishing.

Just off down town to find a weed dealer 😯

4lb test rod, 15lb line, wirehook length with what amounts to six hooks impaled into a lump of sea fish isnt fishing either is it 😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The fact that night fishing and alarms are not the sole domain of the Carp angler always seems to escape some <edit>

Phil Smith will be a name that will escape many yet he is one of the greatest anglers of the past fifty years and this may come as a bit of a shock...... his speciality is not Carp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
just had a look at the redmire site, £350 for 5 days fishing and £140 for the weekend. Apparently it’s extremely difficult to book such is the demand..
Personally I think it’s qute good value for a weeks fishing at what is arguably the premier carp fishing venue. However I may be biased as i have in the past paid some hefty costs for trout and salmon fishing. Not forgetting also some expensive offshore fishing in Florida, worth ever penny.

Silver fan 82

I now know where I am going wrong and the reason I blank when specimen fishing.

Just off down town to find a weed dealer 😯

4lb test rod, 15lb line, wirehook length with what amounts to six hooks impaled into a lump of sea fish isnt fishing either is it 😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴
Top tips there mate. There you go folks, this is where we have all been going wrong! Get on the weed and catch more carp. Maybe Korda and Nash should start pushing pot! 😉😂

Reuben

Site Supporter
The fact that night fishing and alarms are not the sole domain of the Carp angler always seems to escape some <edit>

Phil Smith will be a name that will escape many yet he is one of the greatest anglers of the past fifty years and this may come as a bit of a shock...... his speciality is not Carp.
No-one is saying it is the sole domain of carp anglers but as this thread is about carp anglers it’s not unreasonable for people to comment on it. I’m not criticising every carp angler out there - just most of the ones that I, and obviously others, have seen. They do absolutely nothing for the image of angling or fish welfare & to turn a blind eye to it is tantamount to encouraging it - just my opinion.
If anglers for other species use the same crude methods & let their chosen quarry hook themselves whilst the angler is snoozing in their tent then they’re no better than the carp ‘anglers’ we’re discussing - in my opinion.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
So what are your thoughts on the Barbel anglers that bivvy on the Trent?
Or the Eel,Catfish,Tench,Bream anglers that bivvy all around the country?

Are you aware that a lot of anglers who bivvy will actually reel the rods in so they can sleep?
How about considering the bivvy is also for storing all your things around you and most importantly a means to provide a degree of comfort and keep everything dry

How do you know that they are all using crude methods?
Do you consider the method feeder which in reality is a self hooking set-up to be a crude rig?

Last edited:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
People are often saying that carp (commercial) are easier to catch than other species. I suspect that this is nothing to do with the species but the fact is, that they have been bred on a farm, reared in a stew pond and never been threatened by a predator. If you reared roach in this way and stocked a commercial exclusively with 2lb specimens, imho I think they would, like carp, be easy to catch.