Why is carp fishing so popular?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I think @mickthechippy and @smiffy are spot on, carp are easy to catch - I’m not talking about specimen fish but small carp most definitely.

Last summer my 4yr old was catching a carp or chuck on our local free water with a 4m whip and 6mm expanders in 12” of water and he’d never fished before. On the lake at our holiday cottage he couldn’t however connect with any of the silver fish but did get more carp - there were plenty of silvers in there because I was getting my fair share but they are a heck of a lot harder to catch than the carp.

Never fished a commie (yet) so cannot comment on the sizes or ease of catches.

Saying a £365 ticket could be fished 365 days a year for £1 is a facile argument - even if a ticket holder fished every weekend of the year it brings the cost per session to £7, almost the same as a commie day ticket in this neck of the woods

I used to love match fishing and I hope to get back into it eventually - for me it was the challenge of beating the next guy and trophy hunting (I am naturally competitive) but for now I will happily sit on any bank and fish for bites just as I did this morning on a low stocked big old natural lake around the corner from my home where I caught - oh yes 3 carp

Cobweb

Site Supporter
People aren't spending the money to camp out though they are paying to fish the water. The "camping" is just part of it and allows them to in fact have better value for money.

Pay your £365 syndicate fee on a lot of waters and you could go 365 times at £1 per day.
Name me ONE Commie where you can match that?
Is there a reason anyone or any group of ones would want or be able to ? Are red herrings permitted on this forum? :cool:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"When you say Bream and Tench water I am assuming that you are referring to cultivated specimen fish? "

Not at all - the majority of the big Bream waters such as the Cheshire Meres,Carp waters such as Redmire and Tench waters such as Witley Court have been syndicate or association/society controlled for decades.
Those waters have a long history of fishing from original naturalised fish stocks or an initial stocking by man.
The same could be applied to Wraysbury,Yately,Walthamstow No.1,Horseshoe etc etc

Cobweb you are coming across as a bit bitter because you are restricted in the angling you want to do is restricted by the control of waters around you.
Why does the choice of others bother you so much if it does not appeal to you?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
To many, size matters. The fact that you often find that smaller specimens, of any given species, fight harder than their bigger relatives is overlooked. The fact that even the most modest fish and smaller species can give a good account of themselves on appropriately light tackle.

I've done a bit of everything over the years. Mucking around as a kid turned into match fishing as an older teen and younger adult. Mixed (half arsed) specimen hunting turned into barbelling and then into carping until I got heartily sick of being a one track angler in a rut. These days, I chase anything that is plausibly possible on my doorstep. Single species angling is something I used to do. However, I may as well be a single species angler for periods of a few months through a calendar year. I guess I've ended up becoming a seasonal angler, fishing for seasonally appropriate target fish, much as lots of anglers used to do years back.

As for the demonized "syndicate", the very word is hugely abused. People generally think that they are expensive carp only fisheries where someone is making big money. A genuine syndicate is not actually a money making scheme for the syndicate leader. A true syndicate takes enough money to cover rent with whatever is left over going towards maintenance, facilities and stock. Naturally, the landowner will be taking the rent and making money but not anyone involved with the running of a true syndicate. Members of a true syndicate should also get a say. That's not to say they will always be genuinely democratic. However, if you are nothing more than a customer, it's probably not a genuine syndicate.

The secondary aspect is that, in many people's eyes syndicate = carp fishery. It's not always the case. Whilst they aren't common, mixed fishery stillwater syndicates do exist, as do river syndicates (with no hint of carp). My own syndicate is a true syndicate (as was a river syndicate I was previously involved with), it's also not a carp only venue. The stillwater syndicate costs me less than five pounds a week. Sadly, even £250 for unlimited fishing (inc nights if you want), is baulked at by many non-carp anglers. The reality for me is that it would cost more to fish one of the local commies once every two weeks. It would also involve travelling further and therefore cost me even more. I still couldn't replicate the quality of fish (definitely not quantity) available without travelling fifty miles or so. I appreciate that many anglers do not fish a single venue once every week. They aren't necessarily going to get value from all but the cheapest syndicate. During spring and summer, me fishing my £250 syndicate five days in seven is pretty common. When it's on top form, every day of the week is not unheard of. I usually get my money's worth inside a month. If they can cope with just fishing one water, many regular anglers could be in a similar situation.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"Saying a £365 ticket could be fished 365 days a year for £1 is a facile argument - even if a ticket holder fished every weekend of the year it brings the cost per session to £7, almost the same as a commie day ticket in this neck of the woods"

Missing the point Taff - my post related to value for money and those who criticised the cost.
To fish a Commie every day at £7 per day would cost £2555 - a syndicate at £365 a year costs £1 per day.
It is the freedom to go when you want and for as many times as you want that provides the justification on having the initial outlay.

"I think @mickthechippy and @smiffy are spot on, carp are easy to catch"
Next time you go then lets have photos of lets say 20 different Carp :p

OldTaff

Site Supporter
"Saying a £365 ticket could be fished 365 days a year for £1 is a facile argument - even if a ticket holder fished every weekend of the year it brings the cost per session to £7, almost the same as a commie day ticket in this neck of the woods"

Missing the point Taff - my post related to value for money and those who criticised the cost.
To fish a Commie every day at £7 per day would cost £2555 - a syndicate at £365 a year costs £1 per day.
It is the freedom to go when you want and for as many times as you want that provides the justification on having the initial outlay.

"I think @mickthechippy and @smiffy are spot on, carp are easy to catch"
Next time you go then lets have photos of lets say 20 different Carp :p

I can do that now for you Lee if you really want me to - last summer I did 24 from a small natural free lake in Snodland in less than 3 hours from 1lb up to 14lb on pellet waggler whilst around me kids were taking carp off the surface with 6’ woolies rods and hAlf slices of bread. If it weren’t for the fact that the venue is still flooded I’d have been on it today.

Today I went on a session to a place called Castle Lake - 20yrs ago it had a fearsome reputation for 30lb+ carp, double figure tench and huge bream but it dramatically fell into decline and the carp were robbed out.

I went tench hunting - raked a 3’ deep swim then introduced a shed load of betaine green groundbait laced with casters, hemp, dead red maggots and chopped worm. Fished lift method with double red dead maggots on the hook.

Guess what - 3 carp between 2lb and 3lb

I‘m not knocking carp anglers or syndicates - as long as people are happy where they are fishing it’s fine - but really mate carp are just feeding machines.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
To me it would mean buying a whole lot of new tackle which I plan to do eventually. Might take me 5 years to do, and then it's a case of finding and getting on venues, but I imagine for a lot of people they are in a similar boat that they buy one set of tackle and so have chose between one or the other as not everyone is in a position to have tackle for every area of fishing when you weigh up the costs involved.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Too deny that carp “can” be very easy to catch is just as daft saying that they “are” easy to catch. On some waters they are ridiculously easy to catch at certain times that’s just a fact whilst on other waters they can be an absolute turd to catch. Same as with any other species, they arent a special case either way.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Taff, 3 Carp between 2lb & 3lb can hardly be classed as easy fishing can it.
Now if you had said you had caught twenty Carp between 2lb & 3lb today then I would say that on that water it was - not all waters are the same though are they?
Any chance of knocking out twenty Carp of that size one day next week? :)

badgerale

Rant time:

I hate carp. I don't like to use that word, but after a 20 year gap in my fishing I'm becoming more and more disgusted to see what fishing has become.

It's not the bivvies and bite alarms that annoy me, I can appreciate that as an enjoyable way to fish - it's the 'fakeness' of it all. You are basically fishing for stock fish, in a stocked pond, with manufactured fish food. The carp themselves aren't even a natural animal, they have been selectively bred to be so bloated - like a cow.

But that isn't why i hate them - I would be happy to live and let live about it, after all nothing's forcing me onto carp waters, if it wasn't that NEARLY ALL lakes are now carp waters. Not just lakes with carp in them, but 'carp waters'. People think that because they are not predators that they don't hurt other fish but over time they take over, even without fisheries over stocking them they muscle out the beautiful tench, and when tench die in heatwaves or other incidents... the carp live on and breed. I've talked to fishery owners who say that where they had a mixed fishery at one point, over time the carp population grew and grew and the tench disappeared. It's happening in our rivers and canals too - there used to be good tench and bream fishing in my local drain, now it's either small silvers or carp.

Carp are an invasive species, in the US and Australia they quite rightly cull them - here we seem to celebrate them for some reason.

And what I hate most is that I do fish for them - because i have to if i want to fish at all in the closed season. There is not one lake near me that isn't a 'carp lake'.

My only hope is that otters have a taste for carp meat, and will help keep them out of our rivers.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not at all Peter.

For a long time now we have had the same anglers on here constantly digging at Carp anglers and referring to Carp fishing being easy.
They don't seem able to back that up with any personal justification though and most of their posts are based around their hatred for Carp in general.
As I said in one of my early posts - if the Commies are being filled with Carp anglers setting up bivvies then lets have the posters naming the waters.
TBH in most cases I think it's total bull and the posters are latching onto others posts to justify their dislike.

The very same members will also be found having the very same digs at match anglers who fish waters that can generate large match weights.
There is a complete lack of tolerance by some people who just want to fish in a way different to them and they are never difficult to identify on this forum.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not at all Peter.

For a long time now we have had the same anglers on here constantly digging at Carp anglers and referring to Carp fishing being easy.
They don't seem able to back that up with any personal justification though and most of their posts are based around their hatred for Carp in general.
As I said in one of my early posts - if the Commies are being filled with Carp anglers setting up bivvies then lets have the posters naming the waters.
TBH in most cases I think it's total bull and the posters are latching onto others posts to justify their dislike.

The very same members will also be found having the very same digs at match anglers who fish waters that can generate large match weights.
There is a complete lack of tolerance by some people who just want to fish in a way different to them and they are never difficult to identify on this forum.
None of which has any real relevance to the original question posed by Joe C, but does demonstrate the direction a lot of your posts have tried to steer the discussion.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Which if you read the thread again will be in response to the posts made by others
Let's start at post Number Five
How many posts with reference to "camping" have been made for no other intention than to get a bite?

Trent_Fisher

Maybe it’s the social aspect?

I’m not a massive fan of night fishing or Bivvying up on my own but I enjoy going with a mate or a few mates and having a nice relaxing session, Drinking a few beers and cooking a bit of food at the bank side.

The majority of my fishing is spent either match fishing or just general coarse fishing where I’m often working hard for bites and non stop trying to figure things out.

I don’t take my carp fishing massively seriously so bivvying up for a few nights is just an excuse for me to have a real nice chilled out session and if I happen to catch it’s a bonus.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Dick Walker and friends were doing the very same sixty years ago so it's not a new phenomenon.
What has made it worse is the influence of drug taking on the bank and that is not just prevalent to carp fishing.
There are plenty who will have a toke during the day if that is their thing.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
Years ago carp fishing was virtually unknown, however the exploits of Richard walker and his pals at redmire brought carp fishing into the limelight.
Living in Yorkshire in the sixties carp fishing was virtually unknown. I don’t pole fish, I enjoy float fishing most of the time,my visits to commercial venues are extremely rare. However I don’t judge or criticize other methods of angling, i am more than happy with the fishing I undertake. So long as people enjoy fishing best of luck to them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Apart from a few exceptions I think the people knocking stuff is rather exaggerated. Most the knocking is of the extremes. E.G the few very heavily stock commercials, the camping lager lout type carpers and occasional the fat mishaped carp. It's not often knocking of commercials, carpers and carp in general like it's often made out to be.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
As long as things don't get personal and assumptions aren't made that lead to blanketing an entire branch of angling, or specifically the people that undertake it, then great.
You will get annoying anglers, people behaving poorly, followers of fashion/s, know it alls and elitists in any branch of angling, trouble is it's always seen as a minority in every discipline bar specimen carping.

Am a bit with Joe on the missing out of basic skills being a shame, but there is still is an art to specimen carping, so yes, whilst a newbie or young angler will never learn how to trot a float for example, they are still learning something and will eventually have skills that anglers who don't specimen carp fish won't have.

If the modern scene is all anyone knows or has ever known, then that's fine, we do have to be careful imo of referring back to the days of the long walk with the kit with rose tinted glasses, times change and angling has for those that know and remember those days and perhaps still do it, but it's still fishing (what some choose to do today) for those that weren't around then.

I do have some sympathy for those who get sucked in by the marketing and end up going at/to the wrong waters to do it, but in that situation, i would always look to the owner/bailiff to educate them....whilst taking their fiver or other anglers. You never know, they may turn up the next week with a 9ft feeder rod, rather than a 2.75lb tc one. Or they may not return and find a venue more suited to what they choose to do. We have to remember too that restrictions on travel in these times has added to this aspect.

What clouds the above somewhat, is the recent times, where angling is being confused with a party on the bank, but again, i would always look to owners and bailiffs in the first instance to advise the place is a fishery if people want to fish or to advise them of the nearest picnic area. Think sometimes and too many times, anglers who find this frustrating, sit shaking their head all day, then come on hear to moan about the days events, speak to the owner/bailiff there and then surely?

Last edited: