Why is carp fishing so popular?

Joe C

Let me just say first of all, I massively respect big carp angling, going to big pits knowing there is a very real possibility you could sit for 24/48 hours biteless takes a lot of mental toughness in my opinion.

I still remember catching my first carp at about 14 years old and the adrenaline rush it brought on, for a while it was all I was interested in. As I’ve gotten older however, I now appreciate that variety is very important to my fishing.

Why do you believe that carp angling is so huge now? Is it because they grow so big? The fact that they fight so hard?

See a lot of youngsters now who have never even owned a float rod. Each to their own of course, but I fear they are missing out on that thrill of seeing the float dip for the first time.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’m a bit more cynical, I’m afraid. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ‘proper’ carp speci hunter. That may be down to the lack of appropriate venues up here. I do see ‘carp anglers’ setting up bivvies with rods & alarms on commercials where the fish can be more easily caught on the pole, Waggler, or tip - do they count? I also see the same sort of ‘carp anglers’ on a water I fish in the Lakes putting kilos of boilies in a small lake the size of a football pitch. The first thing out of the car when they arrive is usually the 16 can pack of lager.
I’ve no doubt that bona fide carp anglers exist - I’ve seen them on the telly - but I’ve yet to actually see one in the flesh.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Why is not seeing the float dip missing out Joe?
Have you ever had a thirty pound Carp take a mixer or a large Trout take a dry?
How about played a very large double figure Carp or massive Barbel in pitch darkness when your adrenaline is surging?

Thrills can be sought in whatever form you seek them but don't think that because some don't want to see a float dip to fish they once caught bigger at the fair (yes I know) that they are missing out.

We should be embracing the fact that Carp fishing gives the young the chance to venture into the sport at a relatively small cost and more so if the said young have no/little peer guidance.

Rather see a young Carp angler learn his skills on a Commie and see what others are doing than sat on a river catching nowt and being a worry to their family.

Last edited:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I think it’s a combination of the media coverage that carp angling garners alongside the sheer size of the fish themselves - when I’m river fishing I lose count of the times kids will rock up and ask “caught any carp?” when I’m swinging in pristine roach or skimmers and if you show them a perch they walk off uninterested whereas we as kids would have been clamouring for details on kit & bait.

All my local waters are carp syndicate too so there must be an incredibly strong compulsion to chase down a 30 or 40 since these anglers are willing to pay up to £650 a year for the privilege of camping out.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Most of the larger Carp are caught at night so why wouldn't you fish at the optimum period that gives you a chance?

The £650 to fish for the season is nothing compared to what some of the match guys on here spend just on fuel alone.
There are also plenty on here that probably p**s that up the wall after a few months out with their mates.

Let's have a realistic prespective before the usual s**g offs

marcusp

I’m a bit more cynical, I’m afraid. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ‘proper’ carp speci hunter. That may be down to the lack of appropriate venues up here. I do see ‘carp anglers’ setting up bivvies with rods & alarms on commercials where the fish can be more easily caught on the pole, Waggler, or tip - do they count? I also see the same sort of ‘carp anglers’ on a water I fish in the Lakes putting kilos of boilies in a small lake the size of a football pitch. The first thing out of the car when they arrive is usually the 16 can pack of lager.
I’ve no doubt that bona fide carp anglers exist - I’ve seen them on the telly - but I’ve yet to actually see one in the flesh.
I was what you would call a carp/speci hunter for 30 plus years starting in the mid 80s having served my apprentership as a child being taken by my grandfather fishing for everything on canals, rivers etc with a float rod.

it was then a natural progression from the age of 16 and. I worked my way up the carp fishing ladder starting on smaller waters with a reasonable head of single and double figure fish. In those days the target was a 20lb fish and it wasnt until I was 21 and moved to another water that I achieved that goal.
in those days there was no instant carp anglers, dvds or commercial waters however everyone progressed and whilst a bit secrative the carp scene was fun and challenging.

i finally gave up in 2015 having fished many waters with a uk pb of 36lb. The syndicate water I was fishing started to get busier and busier every year and the owner saw the pound signs increasing membership and prices.

i now prefer fishing for other species and the reasons I fell out with carp fishing is because of the very reasons others have stated. We now have a generation of instant so called carp anglers who fish holes in the ground overly stocked with match size carp. Throwing 3 or 4oz leads and 3lb tc rods into waters the size of a football pitch and no respect for other anglers or the enviroment.

the carp scene has become an excuse for what I call the chav brigade to camp out over night and get of their faces on weed. One water in paticular near me you can walk along the bank at a weekend and get high just by breathing its that bad.
There are still what. I would call real carp anglers out there who fish low stocked waters for specimen fish but unfortunately the carp scene today is a far thing from real carp fishing and Im afraid those people also have the attitude of superioty when they fish these commercials calling any other angler a noddy which considering they have very little knowledge of watercraft, fish handling and general angling skills makes me laugh

marcusp

Most of the larger Carp are caught at night so why wouldn't you fish at the optimum period that gives you a chance?

The £650 to fish for the season is nothing compared to what some of the match guys on here spend just on fuel alone.
There are also plenty on here that probably p**s that up the wall after a few months out with their mates.

Let's have a realistic prespective before the usual s**g offs
Most of the larger carp arnt caught at night. Its down to individual waters and a water I used to fish hardly threw up a fish during darkness. I had four 30s from that water including my PB of 37lb and everyone was in daylight

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Your last paragraph is spot on,it is down to individual waters but just because yours fished better in the day it doesn't mean that all the others in the UK do.

If you read any of Terry Hearns publications you will note that the majority of his big fish were caught at night or very early morning after a continuous session.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
My with 30 miles region contains Larford, Moorlands,Woodlands View,Cob House ,"Jam Factory" , Docklow to name a few.

All very well known and established Commies and yet Docklow and by arrangement Larford apart I cannot remember ever seeing the waters festooned with Carp anglers and bivvies.

Be interested to hear if this is the same for the other main Commies around the country.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think it’s a combination of the media coverage that carp angling garners alongside the sheer size of the fish themselves - when I’m river fishing I lose count of the times kids will rock up and ask “caught any carp?” when I’m swinging in pristine roach or skimmers and if you show them a perch they walk off uninterested whereas we as kids would have been clamouring for details on kit & bait.

All my local waters are carp syndicate too so there must be an incredibly strong compulsion to chase down a 30 or 40 since these anglers are willing to pay up to £650 a year for the privilege of camping out.
What is the cost of a season ticket for a top football club? And you only get to go once a fortnight🤔🤔🤔

Silver fan 82

IMO carp fishing is so popular because carp grow big and fight hard. Once you've caught a 20lb + fish believe me it's one hell of a fight!
I occasionally have a carp session. I used to fish commercials catching "match size" carp (whatever that is) but only ever used a match rod or feeder rod. More recently on club waters there aren't any smaller size carp so I step up my gear accordingly.
For me personally I want to enjoy the fight of a fish whether its an 8oz roach or double figure carp.
I admit it does annoy me when people fish for carp with over gunned gear. I refer to commercials here mainly.
As for youngsters entering the sport through carp fishing, well at least they are out there fishing? Is that not a good thing? I think that carp fishing is "fashionable" at the moment and the majority of youngsters what to instantly catch big fish.
However you fish, whatever your fishing for enjoy it or go home I say! 🤷‍♂️

62tucker

Site Supporter
Without carp you might never have got the buzz and hooked on angling in the first place.
You could say the same about fly fishing. Many a fly fisherman have never sat at a lake or river with rod and reel. Are they missing out. No. They do what they want to do. The world is full of different people, imagine if we were all the same and liked the same stuff. Be a sad place.

rudd

Site Supporter
Carp fishing is more popular because it's been marketed much much better than any other branch of angling.
Infact Korda have marketed it that well that they branched into match angling with Guru and now have people on this site saying Guru hooks are the best ever as are their buckets, feeder boxes etc etc
I mean £1500 for a chair. 😐
Other factors are the technical/gadget aspect, safe camping, social aspect and ease.
Most carpers would fall off their bedchair if told a match angler is sitting on £1500 with another £500 of attachments and nets, £5000 of pole, £300 of rollers, £500 of luggage, £150 trolley, £700 of sundries, £300 suit and £25 of bloodworm just to catch a few pounds of eyes down the local cut 😴😴😴

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was what you would call a carp/speci hunter for 30 plus years starting in the mid 80s having served my apprentership as a child being taken by my grandfather fishing for everything on canals, rivers etc with a float rod.

it was then a natural progression from the age of 16 and. I worked my way up the carp fishing ladder starting on smaller waters with a reasonable head of single and double figure fish. In those days the target was a 20lb fish and it wasnt until I was 21 and moved to another water that I achieved that goal.
in those days there was no instant carp anglers, dvds or commercial waters however everyone progressed and whilst a bit secrative the carp scene was fun and challenging.

i finally gave up in 2015 having fished many waters with a uk pb of 36lb. The syndicate water I was fishing started to get busier and busier every year and the owner saw the pound signs increasing membership and prices.

i now prefer fishing for other species and the reasons I fell out with carp fishing is because of the very reasons others have stated. We now have a generation of instant so called carp anglers who fish holes in the ground overly stocked with match size carp. Throwing 3 or 4oz leads and 3lb tc rods into waters the size of a football pitch and no respect for other anglers or the enviroment.

the carp scene has become an excuse for what I call the chav brigade to camp out over night and get of their faces on weed. One water in paticular near me you can walk along the bank at a weekend and get high just by breathing its that bad.
There are still what. I would call real carp anglers out there who fish low stocked waters for specimen fish but unfortunately the carp scene today is a far thing from real carp fishing and Im afraid those people also have the attitude of superioty when they fish these commercials calling any other angler a noddy which considering they have very little knowledge of watercraft, fish handling and general angling skills makes me laugh

One of the most accurate descriptions of the way it’s going I’ve ever read.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

£12.50 a week sounds a lot more manageable doesn’t it and sounds like decent value for a syndicate water.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
We are becoming our own worst enemies, the way we snipe at each other is, TBH, depressing. Commie v natural, pole v rod, carp v other fish...the list goes on and on. We are, above and beyond everything else, anglers, each to their own, live and let live is what I say.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
To put things into perspective,a midweek round of golf at The Belfry is £45.
A day out shooting clays by me is £39 start for a set number of clays.

PJG

It really does depend on the water.

I fished for carp on difficult pits in the Colne Valley for 38 years doing over 1200 nights. Apart from many, many blanks I caught over 300 twenties, 42 thirties and 3 forties. Since 2013 I have only fished for roach. Once rigs and baits are sorted it's only a matter of time and location, carp are popular because they are easier to catch!