Why do you go fishing?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
In actual fact Mike I think your post epitomises what fishing is about. Unfortunately there are some Anglers who only fish commercial venues who have never experienced it. I'm not knocking them, each to their own and that, but I do feel they have missed out on some of the fundamental beauty of our sport.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I called into my local koi shop yesterday for some wheat germ sinking pellets. 5 min job at best. Was in there 30 mins at least just looking at the fish. It’s just in your blood

BTMS

Site Supporter
Can’t really put my finger on 1 reason. It’s just in your blood I think. Even when I out walking on beach. Rarely I see someone beach casting. But if I do For some reason I am drawn to him even if I am up at the sand dune area just to asked the question “ have you caught out “ and I can guess if they don’t want to talk I just say “ good luck “ or seen time when I have had a good chin wag ( conversation) with them.
I can go for a walk along a river bank. Walked a few miles on the River Tweed a few weeks back with my mate and dogs. My eyes were on the river none stop. Looking in margins. Looking out for salmon topping,
Him. Just looking straight ahead.
I can talk a bit. But went in bivvy carp fishing 2 years ago for 3 days. Never spoke to anyone for them 3 days. A odd text to say I was ok. Loved it. Solitude. Peace. Just watching the water. Cooking on a small stove. Class.
Can you walk over a bridge without stopping and looking in the water. I can’t. Can spend ages looking for trout rising. Dropping something in to see if outs attracted to it.
How was my once local river the tweed:) brought up on two of its feeders Whiteadder and Blackadder. Learned how to fluff chuck there. Taught me how to read a river. Brings back some great memories, especially when you went to school with one of the ghillies sons ;);)

BTMS

Site Supporter
Proper-Preparation-Prevents-Pee-Poor-Performance. I have to admit that when it comes to my fishing gear it's the one thing where I suffer from OCD.
A place for everything and everything in its place. I can probably open the draws on my box and pick out what I want without looking.
A Bonus is that whenever I decide to move any of my kit on it gets snapped up because people know it's been well looked after, ;)
The famous army saying the 7Ps Prior planning and preparation prevents pee poor performance

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
In actual fact Mike I think your post epitomises what fishing is about. Unfortunately there are some Anglers who only fish commercial venues who have never experienced it. I'm not knocking them, each to their own and that, but I do feel they have missed out on some of the fundamental beauty of our sport.

My post barely touches the surface of what I think angling is all about. I have written 72,000 words in my book and I can still think of additional things to write about, I think angling is an unquantifiable activity and impossible to put into words which is what I think makes the sport so intriguing. Even commercial fisheries have their beauty and diversity about them. If the angler opened up his/her mind to understanding what goes on within the aquatic world other than watching the end of a fishing pole or rod, they would find satisfaction and contentment without having to put 100lb+ of fish in the net. Having said that, it wasn't too many years ago the be all and end all for me was to catch as many fish as I could, so i can't discredit those that want to do just that, it's all angling.