Why do you go fishing?

Joe C

Site Supporter
Apologies if this has been done before or recently, I did a search and couldn’t see anything.

Im 32 now, been fishing since I was about 13. I grew up fishing local park lakes, on the waggler, roach, bream, tench, goldfish and carp if it was a red letter day. From there I bought a pole and had a go at match fishing, enjoyed it but as I got into adulthood I found it unaffordable.
Then I tried carp fishing but found it too slow, so was never really satisfied.

When I was younger I guess my fishing was always based around trying to achieve something (a match win or later on a new pb carp.)

In the last 4 years my career has seen me take on a lot more responsibility. I’ve gone from being a barber to suddenly owning a barbershop and a hair salon.

Fishing for me has now become an imperative outlet for stress and something that is no longer goal orientated. If I’m out watching a float or a tip I’m happy and my mind lets go. It’s also one of the only times my phone is ignored (unless it’s the wife of course.) In an age where we carry what is essentially a computer in our pocket I really benefit from that down time.

Why do you go fishing?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I suppose I go for the relaxation mainly. I just love being out in nature, especially next to water. The scenery matters a lot and I fish a variety of venues. I love the thrill of watching a float bury or my tip go round. I even love the little twitches you get from line bites.

I don’t have a competitive bone in my body and match fishing just doesn’t interest me at all.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Its the one thing in life that I feel I do reasonably well. It is one area where I have control. On the one hand I enjoy the solitude, on the other it is just about my only social contact with the rest of the world.

I love the uncertainty of what I will catch and I enjoy the challenge of match fishing. I love the precision of pole fishing and the taming of large fish on light tackle.

Fishing has always been by sea anchor, something I can rely on when everything else seems chaotic and threatening.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Can’t really put my finger on 1 reason. It’s just in your blood I think. Even when I out walking on beach. Rarely I see someone beach casting. But if I do For some reason I am drawn to him even if I am up at the sand dune area just to asked the question “ have you caught out “ and I can guess if they don’t want to talk I just say “ good luck “ or seen time when I have had a good chin wag ( conversation) with them.
I can go for a walk along a river bank. Walked a few miles on the River Tweed a few weeks back with my mate and dogs. My eyes were on the river none stop. Looking in margins. Looking out for salmon topping,
Him. Just looking straight ahead.
I can talk a bit. But went in bivvy carp fishing 2 years ago for 3 days. Never spoke to anyone for them 3 days. A odd text to say I was ok. Loved it. Solitude. Peace. Just watching the water. Cooking on a small stove. Class.
Can you walk over a bridge without stopping and looking in the water. I can’t. Can spend ages looking for trout rising. Dropping something in to see if outs attracted to it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Because I like it, simple as that. I enjoy my time on the bank, it helps me unwind and of course there's the wildlife like watching a cheeky Greenfinch or Robin nick your maggots from your bait box or watching a Kingfisher catch more fish than you do. After 56 years of fishing, I still get pleasure from it.
At 66 I still enjoy a night or two, or long weekender on a Carp session.

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Also fishing can be as cheap a hobby as you want it to be. Once you have a rod and reel or your set up.
Half a day on a commercial. Bag of pellets. £5 or £6. Or if your on a club water. A days fishing could cost you the price of a tin of corn. 30p for a days enjoyment, outside in nature. What could beat that.

Silver fan 82

For me its to relax I suppose. I love being outside. When fishing I feel close to nature, its a weird thing that I can only describe as feeling more complete (without sounding too much of a hippie).
Its not even about catching fish, although that's a bonus. As others have said I love seeing the wildlife. On my last session I went out targeting carp, blanked but it didn't matter because I saw a kingfisher, fed the robin and had a wren perch on my rod. Absolute magic!
I also like fishing alone, I enjoy the solitude.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As the others have said it is hard to really explain it. One way I often put it is that it’s a way of doing something whilst doing nothing. Just being outside in nature in usually scenic places for hours on end is the main appeal to me, there’s not many other hobbies that allow you to do that. Then there’s the challenge of it and sense of achievement when you get it right. I could never really articulate reasons properly, it’s quite a weird hobby when you think of it so I think it’s one of those things you either have in you or not, I just love it and can’t imagine ever not doing it.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Can’t really put my finger on 1 reason. It’s just in your blood I think. Even when I out walking on beach. Rarely I see someone beach casting. But if I do For some reason I am drawn to him even if I am up at the sand dune area just to asked the question “ have you caught out “ and I can guess if they don’t want to talk I just say “ good luck “ or seen time when I have had a good chin wag ( conversation) with them.
I can go for a walk along a river bank. Walked a few miles on the River Tweed a few weeks back with my mate and dogs. My eyes were on the river none stop. Looking in margins. Looking out for salmon topping,
Him. Just looking straight ahead.
I can talk a bit. But went in bivvy carp fishing 2 years ago for 3 days. Never spoke to anyone for them 3 days. A odd text to say I was ok. Loved it. Solitude. Peace. Just watching the water. Cooking on a small stove. Class.
Can you walk over a bridge without stopping and looking in the water. I can’t. Can spend ages looking for trout rising. Dropping something in to see if outs attracted to it.
Totally agree with this mate. I can't remember not being a fisherman. My dad would take me with him when I was a baby and I would lay on the bank, wrapped in a blanket whilst he fished. This went on until I was about 4 (maybe younger) and able to hold a rod and I have never looked back.

Like you I cannot walk near water without looking for signs of fish and I always want to stop if I go over a bridge.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I sometimes think it is a strange hobby. Something quite surreal about it with fish dangling on the end of a line but no more than other things in life like kicking a ball around a field. For a long time I was interested in other things but since moving house fishing seems to have came back to me.

I think there's something sublime about being surrounded by water and nature and pitting your wits against it. It can also be a technical pastime, all about the fine tuning, tactical planning and reading the water, not as simple as just waiting for a fish to eat your bait as some who don't go fishing sometimes think.

When I started I fished for a junior fishing club and it was a good way to have a laugh, now it's a second nature and I love improving on myself and buying new tackle. I can always pretend I'm fishing a match if I'm in that kind of mood. I think it has good mental and physical health benefits.

Sometimes even when I walk past a flooded field I imagine it as a potential Tench venue.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
My enthusiasm does seem to have died a little of late. Probably because it's winter and I've been busy with other things.
The lad on the other hand is getting keener by the day but he rarely goes with me as I prefer pleasure sessions or club matches. Instead he is off most Saturdays and Sundays with a pal of mine who fishes the opens all over the NW. His results are getting better all the time and envelopes are getting regular. This winter has been a big learning leap for him. It amazes me the detail he goes into with prep and fishing.
Hopefully Spring will ignite my passion and I may even start going with them.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
There's not enough space here to answer that question, however, I have recently written a 72,000 word and 144 photo book on the subject. I'm not allowed to advertise it on this forum, but if you click on the link below:whistle:;)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The way it’s going lately, I seriously ask myself sometimes, why I do !!

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Because you win that much at TBF in the summer ? I wonder why you go when it's cold Chefster ? Just keep opening the little brown envelopes you have won .

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Water has always had a fascination for me for as long as I can remember, probably started with the proverbial net and a jam jar on the local Tooting Bec common ponds, tadpoles, newts, frogs & sticklebacks where the quarry back then in the late 50's. Even then though I as captivated watching the older lads who had rods and reels who would catch the odd gudgeon, perch and roach.
October 1960 was a landmark, my 6th birthday when my Gran got me an 8ft bamboo rod with a tin plate centrepin reel as a birthday present. I still remember that first trip with it accompanied by my Mum, bait was a few worms freshly dug from the garden. One of the older lads helped us set things up, a red tipped porcupine quill, a couple of split shot and a 14 Au Lion d'or hook. A couple of hours followed watching an unmoving float with Mum suggesting it was time to get home when it plunged below the surface, grabbing the rod I could feel something on the other end and a small perch was soon hauled in and the lad who had helped us set up showed me how to unhook it. It was no more than a couple of ounces but to me it was perfect in every detail. the stripes and red of its fins and the elation I felt as I watched it swim of back into the depths of the pond are as fresh now as I type this as they were all those years ago. :)

I've been 'Hooked' ever since and long may it continue. :upthumb:

Paul.P

Fishing...definitely no phone, away from the stress's of modern life. I love match fishing, my minds totally on the job in hand so just forget about everything else for a few hrs, & the people I fish with are generally great blokes, so can have a laugh even if the fishing's rubbish. Can't actually imagine life without it to be honest, the uncertainty of what the next bites gonna bring is still exciting after 55yrs doing it .

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
have done since I was 3.5 years old.... love it, I'll not stop until I can no longer fish