Why do we do it?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A few years ago I went fishing with a mate who lived in the village. We had been mate's for a few years but this was the first time we had fished together. We set up in adjacent pegs and after about an hour I was catching steadily but Stewart hadn't had a bite. I went round for a chat and when he brought his hook in for rebaiting I couldn't believe it. He had a giant balsa float with 3 SSG directly under it and another 4 about 3" from a giant eyed hook (about a size 8). I asked him if I could re tackle for him but he refused. He then told me that he came fishing to get away from everything and catching fish would interfere with his chilling. He only took a rod because he thought it looked more acceptable to be sat with fishing tackle rather than some weirdo just looking out over the lake.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
We have a club member just like that, tackles up in the most awkward or cumbersome way possible, but yet seems to do alright.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
That's the same reason I got a dog, so I could go for walks without looking suspicious.
I sense that was tongue in cheek mate but there is an underlying truth in the statement. We live in very sad times ☹