why do some people fish better than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brady

i know this sounds a really daft question but why is it . i mean there are people who know how to fish and people who dont so how come out of the ones who know how to fish some are so much better?...or am i talking daft ??

martin.

Account Locked
in a match situation it can be the luck of the drawor what is infrontof you on the day

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The same question could be applied to the ones that always seem to catch the last minute fish [8D]

Do women catch bigger fish then men?

Theres another question.........

It was reported back in the Salmon days that a woman stood a better chance of catching a big salmon than her male counterpart - possibly due to pheromones

Dave

Last edited:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
I think some ppl fish better than others because of natural ability and also as i used to match fish i was in a good team and i learned a lot of the better more experienced anglers and so i kept getting better and better, it is far easier to get a good catch when there is a group of thoughts from different anglers that you can listen to and decide how to fish, also if you stick to one or two venues then you will be more in tune with them and you will catch more fish

jonesr

Ginger. You've hit the nail on the head. Practice-practice!
You will find that the person that gets out regularly ( And I mean 2-3 times a week) will outfish you.But,knowing the water is a major factor.The people that only get out every now and then are pool-foddder to these people.You will learn but it does take time.A LOT OF IT!A top class Matchman will be out nearly every day!At least for a few hours.

Ron J (Time which nowdays I personally don't have[:(!])

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

TINY

Tiny
Practice and time will make a good fisherman out of anyone,but you need to keep learning from those around you.If you stop learning,you stop catching.Take a look at Lees profile(a classic example)of practice,time and learning.With these three elements you will gain experience and with this you will become a better fisherman.
Todays lesson has finished grasshopper!!!

Andy....Staffs Angling Supplies

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
And also don't forget that a lot of 'good' anglers will often fish one part of their swim whilst feeding another or two.
This has the desired effect of allowing the fish to settle into a feeding routine or being encouraged to feed without being spooked. Then along comes a nicely baited hook when they're least expecting it [:D]

Think like a fish - catch a fish

Dave

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Think like a fish - catch a fish

Is that why I kept on catching surfers in Australia.

It is the shark in me.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

TINY

Tiny
Think like a fish,and erm.....think like a fish,and erm.....no,its gone!sorry

Andy....Staffs Angling Supplies

phil

OK OK, all the above understood, BUT

It5's a saturday, I've fished a venue three times before, mixed bags, small stuff.

I feed a swim next to an adjacent platform. I turn my back, think my rods moved, but can still see my float, realise I'm snagged.

I snap off and set up again, I pay attention, and then over the next two hours catch 30lb of tench from a lake I've only ever had 5lb out of. The tench die off, I've been feeding maggots into the water constantly a few yards out, fuish are rolling, I cast out and 10 roach to a 1lb later (that's less than 30 mins from the first cast to them) and I switch back to the tench line and then keep changing.

TOTAL Bag, 45lb of fish over 5 hours.

Great fun great fishing for a club water....the only problem is...I've never managed anything like it since, same water, same tactics...but nothing like what I had.

Oh and by the way, some people on the water had less than 5lb of fish that day.

Now don't tell me there's not a huge element of luck in this game.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
It must be luck how else could Dave always get a big fish at the death....Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Polepot

Poles
Luck Luck and more luck

Oh! and no JINX sorry Malc

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Chopper

100's of answers to this question.

Here are just a few factors that make a good angler in no particular order.

Gettining out on the bank as often as possible.
Venue Knowledge.
Knowledge in the method you are fishing.
Feeding (very important)
Bait presentation. (Also very important)
Preparation the night before.
Versatility, if your not catching you need to adapt method, rigs, feeding etc to get or keep bites coming.
Balancing your tackle correctly (oooerr!)
Learning from others and research, mags, weeklys etc.

I could go on for ages but these are just a few of the main ones.

And of course a bit of luck alwasys helps [;)]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Chopper

I've just had that little bit of needed luck in the last couple of years [:D]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Of course there is luck involved and that is why i like to fish team matches rather than opens! if i dont draw well in a open then i would only be fishing for the section at best, but if i draw bad in a team match then i will only be fishing against my section of ten anglers rather than the 60+ in the open! i find it a lot easier to fish team matches and for 2 years on the trot in a six match series i won my section every round and there were 12 teams! you have to realise that you can only catch what is in front of you, that is what i love about match fishing!

anyexcuse

I've never understood why some anglers can catch fish out of wet concrete and some cant. However, despite all the practice I've put in over the years, I'll never be one of them. Never mind, who wants to fish in wet concrete anyway? The most important thing is that you enjoy your fishing and even if you dont have the X-factor, there's always one fish that's silly enough to find it's way to your hook.

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

Happyeater

My wife always caught more and bigger fish than me.
Don't worry though, thats not a problem anymore.
I don't
take her fishing.[8D]

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Old but true saying,

"The more i practice, The luckier I get."

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

fishing_mad

the only answer is that pateints is a gift. sounds daft but if your pateint quite and have good presentation your a good fisherman and anyway my friends son went fishing with a half pint of maggots and every one around him were using alsorts of groundbait and that all he had like i said was half a pint of maggots and a cheap match rod and he was pulling fish out like god knows wot and other people wer'nt even getting bits so there you go.

[:)]Fishing Mad[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.