Why did shimano stop making poles

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think people moved away from them in the Diaflash/Ultegra era. Spares kits were like rocking horse poo and soooo expensive. Both popular poles at the time,I used a Diaflash myself,but that was the last time I saw any amount of them on the bank.
Next time I’m out on the bank I’ll take a picture of my three Shimano 1400 Iltegra Competitions for you to perv over Smiffy. 🤣🤣. I’ve had two of them for 30+ years. Another came up on eBay last year and I couldn’t say no. There’s been a 11m version on last week. Don’t know if it sold though. 🤷‍♂️

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve owned and loved the following Shimano poles:
Power loop
Stradic
Speedmaster XT
Aspire AX competition
Also had a diaflash 6m whip which was fab

I thought that their build quality and finish were the best out there. The poles were beefy and hardwearing which is something I prefer (say like Tricast and Browning which I’ve also owned/own).

The spares prices were an issue at one point (£380 for a number 6 for my Aspire in 2008!) but with the gen x and gen z I thought they had improved that. Although getting to see a pole wasn’t easy as few people stocked them. At one point they had Alan Scotthorne and Steve Ringer on their books, but when they left they didn’t seem to replace or keep their pole market profile.

If they brought new poles out I’d be interested but they would need to have the 22mm diameter top kits for me to change, more likely I’ll get a z16.
Still got a 6m Diaflash Paul. Lovely little whip. Can’t remember ever pulling out of a fish. 👍

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I have 3 technium whips, The original beastmaster margin and the newer 4m margin. All great bits of kit. When you bought Shimano you got decent bungs etc. Everything seemed well thought out. Sad day when they pulled the plug

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I've a Shimano Competition 1450 AX & a Shimano Slim Exage 1150 pole.
The Slim Exage has reinforced joints & is lovely to use using the dolly at 10mtrs.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wasnt the last top of the range shimmy pole "the Fireblood"

it looked and was bigged up as one of the best you could buy, endorsed by mr Ringer himself, though he left the brand a year or so after it came on the market, it was a pretty expensive pole as new and parts-spares were ridicuously priced compared to other equivalent poles

i have never seen one on the bank, though there was one once on e-bay for sale at a secondhand price that ran about the price of a new tourney pro

fish4alarf

Site Supporter
I have a Nexage ax 1100, and a Hyperloop B X 1100, both in v g c, I use the Nexage for canals.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Next time I’m out on the bank I’ll take a picture of my three Shimano 1400 Iltegra Competitions for you to perv over Smiffy. 🤣🤣. I’ve had two of them for 30+ years. Another came up on eBay last year and I couldn’t say no. There’s been a 11m version on last week. Don’t know if it sold though. 🤷‍♂️
My mate bought an ultegra and shortly after packed up fishing altogether. I keep nagging him to get his gear out the shed now his kids are teenagers but he’s not interested. I’m a bit of a shimano fan boy and still use original Aero Match and 4010 baitrunners today for everything. My first Carbon pole was a Shimano built, Browning design from the early 80’s but can’t remember the name. It was only letters. HE, AH, HF? Something like that.
Maybe someone will be able to enlighten me? Still got the Diaflash pole in the shed along with a 13ft Diaflash float rod.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
No, the Fireblood (£1999 SSP) was second to the Aspire Ultra (£2249 SSP) in the 2014 catalogue, but not present in the 2015 catalogue. The Aspire Ultra was still there in 2015 (still at £2249 SSP) but second in the line up was the Super Ultegra (£1119 SSP).

2015 was the year that Shimano pole and match/general coarse rod ranges were cut to ribbons. The Speedcast Match (float) rods went from being third in the range at £270-310 (behind more expensive Aspire Ultra and Firebloods, £380-420 and unstated POA respectively) to top of the range with a price of £200-230.

Triune

My tpgt was originally used at 11m to hand in ireland. Used to have a super ultegra ( blue one ) till some s..t nicked it.

grey

Site Supporter

it looked and was bigged up as one of the best you could buy, endorsed by mr Ringer himself, though he left the brand a year or so after it came on the market, it was a pretty expensive pole as new and parts-spares were ridicuously priced compared to other equivalent poles

i have never seen one on the bank, though there was one once on e-bay for sale at a secondhand price that ran about the price of a new tourney pro
Fireblood was almost the same as the aspire, same mandrel but slight different carbon mix (cheaper).

Poles are mainly a European style of fishing and Shimano was pursuing a new global approach to marketing.

Shimano UK for many years used Felindre for their repairs and service support. Shimano ditched Felindre to start their own service and support centre, only to find the amount of pole spares they'd need to carry to support the UK with the service they expect from the likes of Daiwa, created a problem more than it was worth to Shimano at the time. A similar story in each European Shimano centre encouraged them to trim the entire range to just the Beastmaster poles.

Shimano's Mission statement is "keep people fishing" - ultimately the supply chain proved too fragile, and the storage and distribution too challenging to uphold their own mission if they carried too wide a selection of poles...

Shimano spares service is notoriously rubbish on most items, so why they deemed poles to be a particular problem is anyones guess. I was once quoted 6 years wait on a replacement tip section by Shimano Service Centre!!! 🤣

stephanie

they did make great poles i have 2 of the super ultegras ax models for now they have done me proud over the years but tried a new pole last week so looks like these will be going up on the bay soon