Why change?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’d only change something if it wasn’t working for me. I think there’s a bit of a ‘cult’ factor when it comes to some tackle brands, Tricast being an obvious one. Their 12’ distance feeder rod does not have the casting power I thought it might have. Only a 12’ rod but as a distance rod I would have expected more. Others have said the same although I bought it based on other comments. So I’ll be keeping it for shorter chucks but looking at getting a longer more powerful rod for longer casts.
Is the perceived shortfall down to the rod or your casting technique? If you're not compressing the blank sufficiently on the cast to load it you will not be getting the best from it. Even Steve Ringer needed a session with Terry Edmonds to learn how to get his distance casting sorted.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
My pet hate is over use of branding on fishing tackle and equipment, Matrix, in my opinion, being one of the worst, followed closely by Preston innovations and others

I bought a Dynamite bait apron thingy. The functionality is mega, but what the heck is going on with the “Ali G” explosion on the back? 🤦🏻‍♂️

image.jpg

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’d only change something if it wasn’t working for me. I think there’s a bit of a ‘cult’ factor when it comes to some tackle brands, Tricast being an obvious one. Their 12’ distance feeder rod does not have the casting power I thought it might have. Only a 12’ rod but as a distance rod I would have expected more. Others have said the same although I bought it based on other comments. So I’ll be keeping it for shorter chucks but looking at getting a longer more powerful rod for longer casts.
Biggest issue I see is people overloading the rod then wondering why they can’t get the distance. If you keep the lead to between 30-45g that will get you as far as you need to get. You can then really put your back, and arms😉, into the cast without fear of anything bad going wrong. It all goes wrong when the knees go a bit wobbly because you’re trying to chuck too much out there😂

If I could only have one size feeders they would all have 1oz (30g) leads on them. You can chuck them miles.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It is probably down to technique, better casters will get better range out the rod, but I need all the help I can get, be that lessons or a better rod. I wouldn't want to write off a rod without using it, but at the same time I'd be wary of recommendations from Tricast fans who may not have used the rod, as I said this is one of the best rods I've waggled, until I put a loaded 30g feeder on it, and that feels about it's sweet spot, 45g at a push.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I keep on looking at that rod also..
I have never seen an 11'6 sovereign, I do have the 13ft version which has a very soft action and is also very light weight so as a shorter light line silverfish rod it might be worth a punt given that he is not asking the silly money that other 'canal' rods of a similar vintage are currently making

adriang

Site Supporter
I have never seen an 11'6 sovereign, I do have the 13ft version which has a very soft action and is also very light weight so as a shorter light line silverfish rod it might be worth a punt given that he is not asking the silly money that other 'canal' rods of a similar vintage are currently making
If you're after it, I won't bid on it. I don't need it, I've a 12ft Microlite and a Daiwa canal rod for any instance where I would not use a pole..

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you're after it, I won't bid on it. I don't need it, I've a 12ft Microlite and a Daiwa canal rod for any instance where I would not use a pole..
I think it is on a buy it now price so feel free if it is still there, like you I do have other rods hat would do what this one will potentially do, I am still deciding ......if England win on Saturday and I have a few beers to celebrate I could end up being the proud owner of anything