Why change?

Keith Sparky

I would say the biggest change in my fishing is not so much new tackle, although I will change things if something is much better than I have, but the willingness to spend a bit extra on bait for every session so I don't feel I could have done better if I had brought xyz bait instead of being a bit tight!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Apart from quills I`m thinking of going over to the green tinged Drennan insert wagglers for my stillwater fishing. I don`t do
heavy so I reckon a few each of 2BB, 3BB and 2AAA will suffice. I like the idea of being able to change tips, not sure if its my
age or what but I seem to use black tips more and more.

Also if all the floats are uniform getting the shotting right will be less hassle, bought some canal wagglers a while back and
whilst I do not expect a balsa float`s shot rating to be exact these take well over double the amount printed.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Would you all say there is an element re tackle/brand snobbery, especially in the match scene?

Likewise, does it create tackle/brand envy, ie you feel you must have the latest or specific brand of tackle to be part of the scene?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I`m not bothered about others opinion of my fishing tackle so whilst no snobbery here I do like certain brands simply for the
look. For example my Leeda net bag was old and ready to fall apart {try getting one that isn`t the size of your average living
room carpet} but every suitable replacement seems so garish. Ended up with an advent from AD but I don`t like it much, really
in your face, I`m going to repair the old one!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My pet hate is over use of branding on fishing tackle and equipment, Matrix, in my opinion, being one of the worst, followed closely by Preston innovations and others

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Would you all say there is an element re tackle/brand snobbery, especially in the match scene?

Likewise, does it create tackle/brand envy, ie you feel you must have the latest or specific brand of tackle to be part of the scene?
the whole business is built on "giving you an edge" in the competitive arena. And the brand snobbery almost sells itself....

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter

Have to say there's a huge element to it. I've probably lost count of the number of boxes that I've seen with their frames painted or powder coated in orange and aqua to mimic Guru and Drennan colour schemes and these aren't just on boxes that are used by these brands (Rive) but other boxes too, along with aftermarket seats embroidered with tackle company logos. In fact I know of one company that has been served with a cease and desist notice by Rive to stop their logo being reproduced on seats they were selling.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Like just about every type of consumer goods, there's an element of brand snobbery with regards to angling kit. I'm not convinced that it's more prevalent in match angling than other branches of the sport. What I do see is loyalty to a single brand or just a few core brands. Some folks seem to like going all in for a single brand even though they aren't sponsored. At the extreme, I've seen folks sell complete sets of gear because they've decided to switch to a new brand. This is not unique to the match scene, I've seen it amongst the full on carpers too.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m really happy with all my tackle at the moment and have been for a couple of years. I can’t see me making any big purchases in the next few years. I spend my spare money on terminal tackle and bait and that is where experimentation comes in for me these days.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

I have most brands lol ,Drennan,tri cast,browning,tfgear preston,octbox,middy,frenzee,guru,just buy decent gear thats upto the job ,pole wise is different i have had some really good poles but really needed the best at 16m for a shoulder injury hence the sphere pt , tri cast came close with the 980 but the sphere is better at 16m for my shoulder 😀

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think for me it has been about experimenting to find what works best for me after a process of research, you tube reviews, and comments by others. I've pretty much stopped doing that now after a few years and am happy with what I now have. Don't intend to replace any of it unless it breaks. I did splash out for a new (sorta) seatbox to replace the old Steadifast (Shakespeare type) one which had had some legs fitted to it in an art gallery's machine shop, and a Korum chair to interract with the accessories. Mainly this was because my ass was getting ground into dogmeat by the old Shakespeare foam padded cushions I glued to the top of the old box with blutack. Also, I needed to have my bits and bobs much more ready to hand - seatbox drawers are ideal for that imo

I've bought a couple of very short rods recently for really tight swims, and snake lakes but these were not expensive, and I do not plan to spend anything substantial (+£200) any time in the near future on fishing kit.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just bought a nice 'pre-used' (PC for secondhand) Rive sidetray, a smallish one for pleasure days and my jollybobs whenever that may be.
Why Rive? because it fits my box, is the size I want, at the right price, oh and nothing to do with having 'Rive' embossed on it :cool:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’m really happy with all my tackle at the moment and have been for a couple of years. I can’t see me making any big purchases in the next few years. I spend my spare money on terminal tackle and bait and that is where experimentation comes in for me these days.
I too have come to that conclusion, since buying my brand new airity pole, the first and only time Ive had a brand new one, the rest of the rods, reels etc has been collected over a long period of time and has satisfied the urge to buy more, all of it is good quality and gear that I have desired for a long time

my tackle collection is complete, Im extremely satisfied with what I now own, and apart from either stuff wearing out or breakages, my purchases will now be limited to consumable items

about the only thing I might be tempted with is an electric powered trolley if one came up

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
my tackle collection is complete, Im extremely satisfied with what I now own, and apart from either stuff wearing out or breakages, my purchases will now be limited to consumable items

about the only thing I might be tempted with is an electric powered trolley if one came up
OK, I believe you. 😂

Blanks

Site Supporter
I would say, if you have the cash go ahead and buy it and enjoy it.
We all know that spending out on the most expensive tackle will not make you a better angler and as I always say, only one person will win the match but everyone else needs to enjoy the day and if having the kit you like helps that then thats fine.

SUFC

I currently have an old 11.5m Shakespeare Onset putover pole. It's very heavy and shaky, no way I can use this it at full length (in fact, I've never used the bottom 2 sections). It hurts my back, even at 8m, so I will be getting a lighter one.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’d only change something if it wasn’t working for me. I think there’s a bit of a ‘cult’ factor when it comes to some tackle brands, Tricast being an obvious one. Their 12’ distance feeder rod does not have the casting power I thought it might have. Only a 12’ rod but as a distance rod I would have expected more. Others have said the same although I bought it based on other comments. So I’ll be keeping it for shorter chucks but looking at getting a longer more powerful rod for longer casts.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I tend to have spells where I buy nothing other than consumables then I might have a spell when I replace (or more to the point add to) quite a few items, I do enjoy searching out items of kit that are away from the mainstream go to items and had some success with rods and reels from brands that are not normally everyone 1st choice, it is worth searching away from the usual suspects when looking for kit as their are often cracking bits of kit to be found from these manufacturers that are better for the job I want than what people would normally recommend. I will say though I am getting to the point where I am not really buying anything, I had a trip up north a couple of weeks ago so took the chance to call into Bobco with the intention of treating myself to something new......best I could do was 3 packs of hooks and a spool of line......!!! I can probably see me changing my seat box sometime in the near future as although I quite like my Boss Modulator, I am not so keen on the 19mm square legs and when I can find something that fits my needs with 25/30mm legs I will probably change it but until then I am happy to carry on with what I have.........However I did see an old Tri-cast sovereign 11'6 spliced tip rod on ebay last night that I might be tempted to have a punt on