Why change?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
There is, usually, lots of lively debate on here when people are requesting advice about a new rod, reel pole, box etc etc. This has got me thinking about whether I need to update my kit. I love looking at tackle sites but rarely put my hand in my pocket. I only change my gear if something comes along that will enable me to do something that I couldn't do before I.e. I changed my pole from 13m to 16m because I couldn't reach the island on my local fishery. The majority of my gear is over 20 years old and is still going strong so I don't feel the need to change. When a new box comes out it becomes the latest 'must have' for a lot of people, why? Unless your current box is uncomfortable or won't hold all your gear why bother to change it.

I would not dream of criticising people for buying new stuff but I am just curious about the rationale behind swapping something perfectly alright for a new one which might be no better.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It's not the way of the world today it's always been that way and will always be.
This applies not only to humans but also other sentient creatures .
Octopus will abandon a perfect shell they can use for security if a new one they like comes along.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Perhaps its the way I was brought up but like you I only replace tackle when it is either broken or no longer fit for purpose or something better that will help me catch more comes along. Hence I started with 6 & 7 metre glass fibre telescopic poles (all that were available). Bought my first carbon take apart pole that enabled me to reach 10m and then a 14.5m version when I realised I was getting beaten by guys using that length to get across the canal. Eventually a 16m "carp" pole for commercials. That was my MAP M16 and I am still using it after some 12 years or more. After a couple of breaks margin fishing I bought a dedicated margin pole.

I still have all the carbon poles I have owned, and most of the glass fibre ones too.

I admit though that I do have a new box on order. That is an extravagence born of now getting my state pension and looking for something to spend it on.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Perhaps its the way I was brought up but like you I only replace tackle when it is either broken or no longer fit for purpose or something better that will help me catch more comes along. Hence I started with 6 & 7 metre glass fibre telescopic poles (all that were available). Bought my first carbon take apart pole that enabled me to reach 10m and then a 14.5m version when I realised I was getting beaten by guys using that length to get across the canal. Eventually a 16m "carp" pole for commercials. That was my MAP M16 and I am still using it after some 12 years or more. After a couple of breaks margin fishing I bought a dedicated margin pole.

I still have all the carbon poles I have owned, and most of the glass fibre ones too.

I admit though that I do have a new box on order. That is an extravagence born of now getting my state pension and looking for something to spend it on.
Avanti or Shakey?😛

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
In my opinion, if something comes along that does the job better and you can afford it, then why not buy it? In my case I bought the MAP 1001 pole and landing net handle because they were both so light and I now have shoulder problems from my Army days and I saw it as a way to allow me to continue fishing, without being in pain! It is alsoof course a question of your financial priorities.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
The fact is that my medical history suggests that I am at high risk of suffering from a cardio vascular event at any time, that could stop me fishing and doing much else, permanently. (stroke)
I hate the idea of that happening just after I had spent a load of money on tackle that will now never get used.:D

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Why worry about what others choose to do with their finances?

I don't care a jot if you have a bank balance that is overflowing yet still choose to use a pole that weighs more at 2m than mine does at 16m.

Who cares? We are only here once.
🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
That was the whole point of the post mate. I did say I would change if something better came along that would enable me to improve. I was more interested in why someone would change something just for sake of it. I am not criticising anyone for spending their money, I was just genuinely interested in why.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
In my opinion, if something comes along that does the job better and you can afford it, then why not buy it? In my case I bought the MAP 1001 pole and landing net handle because they were both so light and I now have shoulder problems from my Army days and I saw it as a way to allow me to continue fishing, without being in pain! It is alsoof course a question of your financial priorities.
That is a genuine reason for change mate.👍

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have quite a bit of kit that some say needs updating. The first question I ask them is "Why?" The carp rods have had some hammer, yet are perfectly suited for my use and still look new. The reels on them are the Shimano GTE 6000B's, again, they just look as though they are straight out of the box, in fact, the spare spools that came with them from new have never had a line on them. There's quite a few other bits that are no longer made etc. but all are well looked after and have never let me down, but when they do, that's the time I'll start looking for replacements.
It's all about looking after what you have and it'll look after you.

ravey

After losing a lot of weight, I was finding my old Watercraft box uncomfortable to perch on for long periods, so I treated myself to a used Brilo job with a padded seat. If and when I put weight back on, I may revert back, as I like the old box, and have had it for almost 30 years.

smiffy

Site Supporter
When I was matchfishing I would regularly replace, add new gear. My thoughts are now that there is so little to be gained by buying new rods, etc that I don’t bother. I must add that this is for the type of fishing I do nowadays.
If I were to move onto commies I’d probably kit myself out for them.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was more interested in why someone would change something just for sake of it. I am not criticising anyone for spending their money, I was just genuinely interested in why.
I regard myself as being in a pretty privileged position in that if I want something I can pretty much go out and get it, however I'm not one to change my fishing gear just for the sake of it. It has to be something that I regard as an upgrade to the kit I already have. I don't however own vast quantities of tackle as when I upgrade I tend to move the stuff that I've upgraded from on and the fact that a few regard me as being a bit of a Tackle Tart because I keep my gear in good condition means than it normally finds a new home very quickly. ;)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
For me, it's got nothing whatsoever to do with having the latest or most expensive thing. It's certainly not one upmanship or posing (I tend to avoid other anglers when I fish). I'm chasing the best I can find for a given task. I really don't care if it's brand new or thirty years old, expensive or cheap as chips. On top of the search for the "best", I really enjoy trying new (to me) gear. Whether it actually ends up usurping the previous "best" is not the be all and end all.

I thoroughly enjoy using good gear, but half the fun of the fair is trying to find better. The one thing I don't do is assume that a "new" item is going to be better than something I already have. I sell nothing until I've had plenty of time to decide whether it's genuinely playing second fiddle to something else.

Total

Site Supporter
I regard myself as being in a pretty privileged position in that if I want something I can pretty much go out and get it, however I'm not one to change my fishing gear just for the sake of it. It has to be something that I regard as an upgrade to the kit I already have. I don't however own vast quantities of tackle as when I upgrade I tend to move the stuff that I've upgraded from on and the fact that a few regard me as being a bit of a Tackle Tart because I keep my gear in good condition means than it normally finds a new home very quickly. ;)
Generally I wouldn't class you as a 'tackle tart', just a seatbox tart!;):love::ROFLMAO:.....It's good to see someone look after their gear, I'm from the same mould....(y)

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Generally I wouldn't class you as a 'tackle tart', just a seatbox tart!;):love::ROFLMAO:
In the last 20 years I've had 4 seatboxes prior to my Rive. Three of those four have been sold on to forum members and I've kept one (Platt-Forms series 3)