Why are you an angler?

feldri

Site Supporter
Probably been asked before and I've maybe missed it, but why do you go fishing? Is there a specific reason?
Personally I go for the peace and quiet and the fresh air. Just being there sat with nature all around is very therapeutic for me. Gives my brain a chance to relax. Obviously, that excitement and relief of that first fish of the day in the net is welcome. But just to sit there and watch the birds, (ducks, swans, grebes, coots etc;) go about their daily tasks is magical to me.
I don't match fish or set my stall out for carp, but just enjoy the art of fishing for anything that swims in front of me. It really is the greatest pastime, sport or hobby I can imagine. :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s about being amongst and pitting myself against nature for me. I just like being in attractive fairly natural settings and catching wild fish. It’s about being there as much as catching for me as long as I catch enough for it to be a good session. I hope for more good catches than bad and that tends to be the case anyway but those bad days make the good days seem even better.

Zerkalo

I am a chip off the old block. My dad went fishing and took me and my older brother fishing. My younger brother missed out but he has been showing interest and I took him out for a day just before lockdown.

I also owe a lot my Junior Club who got me into match fishing. We fished Junior Nationals and as it started as a river club, fished a good mix of venues. Every Sunday we would be out on the coach fishing a different place all throughout the year. I would have progressed to open matches, I did fish a few, but then had a break from fishing for around 20 years with only the odd pleasure session during that time as I got into other things.

It took moving house to an area with not much else to do but loads of fishing to get me started again. I don’t know what I’d do if it wasn’t fishing now I’m back into it. I see myself as part explorer, part fish catcher, enjoying both being out by the water and then bragging about what I’ve caught.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
The mystery, You never know what you're going to catch. This is especially so on Rivers. The different tactics used to catch fish fascinate me.

Now, For the wrong reasons; The competitiveness, Even when I fish venues casually and for pleasure, Nothing gives me more satisfaction than catching the most on the lake.

Now, the big one... Nothing gets me going more excited than striking into a fish and seeing elastic shooting out of out of my pole :ROFLMAO: I've been fishing for years and I don't think it'll ever get old.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Started on the rivers with my Dad some 40+ years ago, fishing local ponds and gravel pits, gave up in my early twenties, started again 10 or so years ago, got tagged into fishing opens by a mate, progressed along that route till a year or so ago.
Now pleasure fish natural venues, the Severn mainly and can honestly say I've never enjoyed myself so much now, it's like being a kid again, if only I could get access to those forgotten local ponds.
It's all about nature now and relaxing by the river.

Silver fan 82

I suppose for relaxation but being outside and feeling that connection with nature would be the main reason.
And as we all know it's just soooo addictive!

Total

Site Supporter
My fishing has always been my respite from daily life and grind. My Father was my fishing catalyst from a very young age and a way of spending quality time with him and so many happy memories.

Have an extensive background/knowledge in most disciplines of our sport/pastime both in open and club situation matches etc but would have loved to do more sea fishing. Had a bash at coaching for a while and still do on the odd occasion....Nowadays fishing has to fit in with a home carers life for our special needs Twins....Family always comes first. Still get out for the odd open match but mostly clubbie matches and time out with family and friends...

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Because I was useless at other sports.

I was an angler before I could pick up a rod. My grandfather told me some great stories that always seemed to involve fishing (normally somewhat illegally for trout & salmon in Scotland). So as soon as I was allowed I was bought some tackle and started tackling the local trout stream near where my grandfather lived. I spent all my Summer and most Easter holidays in Scotland but it was some years until I caught my first fish, a flounder from the trout stream some distance from the sea.

The rest is history.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Indoctrinated at an early age by my old man, now he's an armchair angler and I'm constantly mivering him to get out with me.
Nearly every time I ring - he's in the garage pssfarting about with tackle, he's stuck in a perpetual state "getting ready" to get back into it!

John Step

Site Supporter
because its in my DNA . It runs right through me like the lettering in a stick of rock. Cannot visualise not doing it and cannot fathom those who take it up and then give it up after a while.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Any angler will agree that most of the time spent fishing doesn’t actually involve contact with fish. It’s a time when you can experience nature in a way that is impossible any other way. You will see things that most people never will and hear things that many people will ignore. You will feel things that many people will never touch, and smell things that other people can’t. It is those moments within an aquatic world you can bond with that make you realise that it’s not the fish you caught which makes you return, but the fish you didn’t catch.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Cannot imagine life without going fishing, the day will come and I will accept it with good grace.

Know a few who have packed it in for golf:(

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I loved the sport so much I bought the company :D
My life revolves around fishing and has done for many many years, there are times when I know to give it a rest and there are times when its enough just to be on the bank at a familiar place.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Through life the reasons change. When I was younger I was inawe of the magical watery existance of fish. I never caught much but I imagined I would. However being with friends
Then came the competitive stage against like Against like minded people, so it was a social event. Still that watery mystery was still there and a resilience to better myself.
Now, it is to sit with my lad, a shared interest but still a desire to unlock the mysteries nature holds for us.
In doing this I can restore the work life balance and still marvel at those fascinating creatures called fish.

rudd

Site Supporter
Its ingrained in my DNA, went beach fishing at aged 7 and enjoyed it bht when we moved to a village and new friends took me fishing at the Rudd pond - hooked for life.
My logical approach intwined with mi!d autism also plays a part.
Floats ,Rigs, winder, trays ?
Hooklength boxes ?
Multi shot dispensers and them litte preston dust shot 8,9,10,11,12 in a holder?
Tidy bulk.shot, olivettes, droppers, carp rig wallets, lure boxes, sea rig holders, parallel specimen set ups?

If not fishing I am.thinking it,.messing with tackle or talking/posting about it!

My work mug bought for me by colleagues:

16005015642111577635170.jpg