why are mackems called Black Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm

on another thread some one asked why mackems were called black cats
here goes (as i could not find the thread)

The name 'Black Cats' refers to Sunderland Association Football Club and it's supporters (familiar due to their red and white striped strips), replacing 'Rokermen' or 'Rokerites' when the club moved from Roker Park to the Stadium of Light. The 'Black Cats' name comes from a gun battery of the same name once positioned at the mouth of the Wear, though one story details the nickname coming into use due the appearance of a black cat in the Sunderland changing rooms marking the beginning of a winning streak for the club. The 'Black Cat' mascot (now called 'Sampson' and accompanied by mate 'Delilah') replaced 'Fido the Dog' early in the 20th century.

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

G

Who's a clever boy then Normicon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gif

Andy
bear1.gif
i'm going fishing

martin.

Account Locked
i allways thought that if a black cat crossed your path it was bad luck so my remedy is RUN IT OVER then it doesnt actualy cross(LOL)
lets hear the reply for this one andy

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know the mackems are so called cos of the old ships.

They used to mackem n tackem.

Martin

Take a leaf out of Izaaks book & use the good ol british moggie for what its designed for....... making boilies icon_smile_big.gif

Alan

norm

TROGG
JUST FOR U

Mackem.

Person born within site of the Wear. Definitions vary as follows, with the first definition being considered the most important:

a) Anyone born within the boundaries of the original town of Sunderland, not including Washington and Houghton - le - Spring added later as parts of the City of Sunderland.

b) Anyone born within the boundaries of the Borough or the City of Sunderland (Sunderland became a city in 1992), including Washington and Houghton-le-Spring.

c) Anyone born within the boundaries of the city, plus Seaham, Murton, Easington and other places defined as being in the old East Durham Coalfields.

d) Anyone born within site of the Wear, from the source up at Wearhead to the mouth of the river at Monkwearmouth. This therefore includes places such as Durham, Bishop Auckland, Wolsingham and Stanhope. Definitions of 'Mackem' mostly don't include these latter areas.

The term is derived from Mack'em and Tack'em, dating from the early ship building industry (i.e. the people on Wearside 'mak[e] them' and other people 'tak[e] them') and started off as an insult to the people of Sunderland by the Geordies. In recent years, however, the people of Sunderland have taken the name to be part of their identity as Wearsiders

Stu Dav

Davi
Please be carefull when using this term of phrase as a smack in the gob often offends .

Stu Dav

Many may tak it the rang weigh marrow.

Only joking not !!!!!

norm

smack in the gob my ass

that was took from a sunderland news paper

so if you are implying that a smack in the gob is for me i would think again

Edited by - norm on 22 June 2002 12:31:58 AM

Edited by - norm on 22 June 2002 12:33:13 AM

G

now, now lads lets not get nasty, its only a bit of fun,,,
SO PACK IT IN.
I'm a MACKEM and proud of it.

Andy

i'm going fishing

norm

WELL SAID ANDY

icon_smile_big.gif

scouse

'River Man'
hi norm
take no notice
be like me have a skin like a rhino
dont give a ****
enjoy your trip to ireland
your scouse m8

dave
scouse

norm

cheeers mate

i dont realy take any notice of people like that i just like to let them know i am there
thanks for the maps mate

cheers
norm

Status
Not open for further replies.