Who's going to Holland 2016

Chairman

Thanks for the comments, Griff 06 and very helpful advice and potential explanations of our failure to catch Bream from "Explosive"

We were told about the Lake at Schagen by Richard at the Tackle shop but ran out of time so it's on the list for next visit. Ditto for Dirkshorn which we took a look at before getting the Ferry home. Like other venues easy access and some promising swims along the RHS through a gap in the gates !

We plan to return to Molengroat, staying in the Chalets, in September after another visit with the Shavers to Ireland in June.

Tight lines to all adventurous anglers crossing the seas to find fish.

Kingman

Just back from a week at DeKourburg
Three of us fished, with special Guest appearances from Richard for 3.5 days.
A great week was had by all, weather inclement with cold Easterlies all week, but a good mixture of light and strong winds meant we could adjust venues to suit the conditions.
Vecht was at a standstill due to lack of rain and everywhere we looked levels on all venues were well down, even on summer averages.
Canal in Hattem probably a metre down and Ijssel didn't look as daunting and broody as usual, some pegs on the Yare have been more scary!
After checking in to De Kourburg and having a chat with Richard we fished Ijssel behind small Zalk and had nice bags of Roach, Ide and occasional skimmers/Bigger Bream. Lots of bites on feeder but a struggle on stick float for anything other than sprats. Baited Big Zalk before we went with intention of split Saturday, morning on River afternoon on Lake
Saturday had another good morning on river averaging 25lb per man. Short afternoon session on our prebaited pegs saw weights of 100lb, 70lb and 30lb. Filled it in at close of play with view to come back on Sunday. Also prebaited an additional peg for Richard
Sunday was difficult as bream were tightly shoaled in one area and not evenly spread over the prebaited pegs, so weights of 136lb, 50lb and 15lb, 10lb. The 136lb was 30 slabs
Monday was a calm day, so back on Ijsell behind small Zalk. Another cracking days river fishing on feeder with a top weight of over 60lb and good backup weights.
Prebaited small Zalk before we left, with little confidence it would work...
Tuesday was a horrible day. Fished on our prebaited pegs on small Zalk and had nowt. Moved to Big Zalk in afternoon and also struggled for a few fish given we hadn't prebaited.
Wednesday featured a strong Easterly wind so we got ourselves over the ferry at Olst and fished some pegs with cover on the far bank. Another excellent days feeder and stick float fishing with a top weight of 50lb of Roach, Ide, Skimmers and Bream. Headed back before dark to prebait big Zalk for last day slab extravaganza...
Thursday - Road bank at Big Zalk on our prebaited pegs. Another frustrating day as good for one of us and not the others 150lb, 40lb and 30lb. Once again Bream were very tightly shoaled and wouldnt move, it was however cold with a strong easterly. Wind chill in morning was below zero, so understandable fish were not on it!
All in all a great week, already booked for next April
October is an interesting month as weather is on the turn, especially given September was scorching, it can either or brilliant or rubbish or sometimes both on same day. Swim choice and venue choice are crucial and old adage that fish on flowing water are less impacted by weather held true.

Chairman

Helpful and informative report Kingman. Certainly fished better than Molengroat. Rivers v Canal in cold conditions no contest it seems as expected.

Chris Watson

Dutch Dynamo
Great fishing Andy considering the weather was not the best, catching 50/60lb bags on the ijssel is very rewarding, I love it [:T]

Billsykes

Mate has got ferry prices for next year and for first time ever we will be using DFDS from Newcastle it is a bit longer drive this end but shorter other but the price difference is just too big to ignore now between them and P&O Hull . To be fair we are looking forward to the adventure of something new, might be different if we were splitting the cost between 3 or 4 but only us two going in September so it's a big saving, also sounds selfish but enjoyed it far more with just 2 of us, rather than trying to get pegs for lots which in my experience never works have gone with upto 12 in the past and by the end of the week have had enough of the squabbling over pegs who's doing breakfast etc etc. I am looking forward to the crossing on a different boat, is the buffet restaurant still the best option on there?.

Last edited:

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
I agree Bill over the amount of people, 3 of us normally and 2 cars so if one doesnt fancy something they can have a day on their own.Worked well for a few years now.We are going from Harwich next year as Hull crossing too expensive.

Billsykes

Yes far better Neil only advantage to more going is lower price we still have a good laugh just 2 of us

spudnudd

Originally posted by Billsykes

Mate has got ferry prices for next year and for first time ever we will be using DFDS from Newcastle it is a bit longer drive this end but shorter other but the price difference is just too big to ignore now between them and P&O Hull . To be fair we are looking forward to the adventure of something new, might be different if we were splitting the cost between 3 or 4 but only us two going in September so it's a big saving, also sounds selfish but enjoyed it far more with just 2 of us, rather than trying to get pegs for lots which in my experience never works have gone with upto 12 in the past and by the end of the week have had enough of the squabbling over pegs who's doing breakfast etc etc. I am looking forward to the crossing on a different boat, is the buffet restaurant still the best option on there?.
Bill we book our breakfast as we are getting the boarding tickets as its slightly cheaper than paying on the ship all the girl does is add on your ticket at the ferry port.Luckily with the lads that go our week we all fish different venues and none will stay fishing the same peg for days.These guys are from all over England and a few from Wales that i've met at Koerberg and although there can be up to 15 of us we all have a chat on who's going where the following day and sort of rotate the waters.The lake that i find hardest to work out is little Zalk because it so open to the river and giving it a lot of thought i'm convinced pre baiting is hit or miss as the fish come in mop up and bugger off back into the river.It could be one of those that you just fish it for an hour see what happens and if nowt then put a fair few balls in and see if the fish come out of the river and onto your feed.As i said this lake takes some working out.[:T]

spudnudd

No don't bother with evening meals they are a bit pricey so usually take a few sarnies on board when going and get a meal just past the port on way back we are mainly in the bar on the boat.Very bad influence that Mr Watson no wonder i end up cork legged.[:D][:D][:T]

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
What are you guy's booking that's cheaper going via DFDS from Newcastle, than P&O from Hull?

Just done our booking for next year camper van +3 is cheaper via P&O than DFDS, coming from Manchester a lot shorter journey getting to Hull than Newcastle. I know there is an issue with vans being seen as commercial vehicles and priced as such, which is why I did the conversion on my van, only rough and ready but serves a purpose, also cheaper on insurance.

spudnudd

Just wait for the deals off DFDS the one we've done is 15% discount because they are celebrating 150 years in operation.If you use DFDS and they have your email they send you the offers also early booking pays off,as been said many times before P&O van prices are way over the top.[:T][:T]

SHAFT

Originally posted by spudnudd

Just wait for the deals off DFDS the one we've done is 15% discount because they are celebrating 150 years in operation.If you use DFDS and they have your email they send you the offers also early booking pays off,as been said many times before P&O van prices are way over the top.[:T][:T]
[/quote

P&O do offers January and February, saved 20% off meals and crossing on both trip over this year. All ferry company's also always do offers on ferry fortnight in February.

Billsykes

Stretch yes I am booking a van and I am buggered if I am going to start fitting windows to save a few bob ha ha, spudding will book a meal we always enjoy a bite to eat on the ferries and then a pint and watch the show am looking forward to trying a new one ....ferry that is

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
The main thing about it Bill, is I use it to take me and the lads in June, then I can afford to go back in September on my own, as I can stay in the van with no hotel bills, it's a win win for me. Also get to spend a couple of days at a time on the Trent.

spudnudd

Shaft the deal i got for april next year beats P&O price i've checked it out we going over commodore class thats with free bar and breakfast and its cheaper plus i've enjoyed the trip everytime.Think there's 8 of us this time and 2 of them have got vans so its just what suits at the time.[:T]

Bishy

Nice report Chairman that big lake near molengroet has still got good bream shoals in it but we were there in july so a lot warmer, we will be there again in june found they came on best to hairrigged corn