Who's going to Holland 2016

Billsykes

We were to the right I was at the fence end peg as you drive up to the river ..river was quite low with not.much colour but had a bite a chuck got skimmers going when putting some chopped worm in I prefer the mad German and match length stretches but there are clearly lots of fish behind zalk

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Just got back from hellevoetslis and as expected, the fishing was not good. There has been a decline in fishing in this area of Holland over the past few years and I for one wont be going back. We hear of many reasons for this but i think that fish extraction is happening on a large scale. I think other parts of Holland are experiencing similar situations. The clarity of the water over the years suggests this is happening. Of course i could be totally wrong but the decline we have had in fishing over the last 10 years suggests otherwise. Gone are the days where you could catch on any water.

So where do i go next year?....... any suggestions??[:H][:H][:H]

Last edited:

spudnudd

Should be lots of fish in the Ijssel in that area after the anglo dutch festival they put plenty of bait in.German stretch,railway bridge,Hattem power station and zalk were the sections.I think the power station didn't produce like the rest but still a fair few fish was caught.[:T]

spudnudd

Originally posted by emmaemma

Just got back from hellevoetslis and as expected, the fishing was not good. There has been a decline in fishing in this area of Holland over the past few years and I for one wont be going back. We hear of many reasons for this but i think that fish extraction is happening on a large scale. I think other parts of Holland are experiencing similar situations. The clarity of the water over the years suggests this is happening. Of course i could be totally wrong but the decline we have had in fishing over the last 10 years suggests otherwise. Gone are the days where you could catch on any water.

So where do i go next year?....... any suggestions??[:H][:H][:H]
Well we still catch up north and there was lots of skimmers being caught as well as other species in the Ijssel its only weather conditions that affect the catches.The water clarity is gin clear also zebra mussels and i'm sure the 10lb slabs are eatin them as they seem to be growing each year[:)] But if you need a pick me up then go to Ireland as 2 mates have just done as they caught 3oz fish all day [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:C][:C]

Chris Watson

Dutch Dynamo
Where did you fish Martin ?? Coz if it was on the voorne, you're wasting your time at this time of year, there's very few fish in at this time of year.
Did you try the Spui ? Plenty of fish in there, the lads who fished it earlier in the year had loads of fish.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
I think the matches early on in the Voorne canal show they go in there to spawn but they dont like getting battered and move back at as soon as they spawn.
The spui is full of fish early on and i mean full but again by September they have mainly gone.
We stopped going in September as its a poor time of year,used to get good catches but the last few times was poor.
As its in decline more anglers are going the bars and not getting up early,which when we go its a fishing holiday not getting too drunk.
Also everyone fishes Voorne and Polders even though reports from previous anglers show they are not fishing.
Also found you need worm and casters now, in past you just used corn.

spudnudd

Booked in for end of April bill realised I could not wait another 12months so probably freeze my b__lls off after baking them a few week ago.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Hi chris, we didn't fish the Voorne as on the Saturday & Sunday there was a 2 day team match event on there with 100 top anglers competing each day. The bigest weight on day 1 was 5kg and day 2 was 6kg. That tells you everything about the Voorne. We fished the spui and fished brielesmere after being told from Mario which pegs to fish. The 3 of us fished it and 5 other blokes staying at Citta fished further down the same bank for 1 bream between us! We fished the other usual spots for very few bream. Some other lads (5) from Telford staying at the Cape had no success on the usual spots but caught good nets on the Oude Maas at the Rhoon golfcentre. The blokes staying at Citta told us their best day was 5 bream between them.
I have read quite a bit since I got back regarding the state of the bream fishing in Holland. We were blessed 25 years ago but the clean up of the waters and the netting of the bream means that the fishing will never be the same again. Any excuses like it's too hot, not windy enough, too cold etc. etc. is just total *******s

Here's a couple of links for you to read which perhaps sums it up perfectly.

http://www.witvistotaal.nl/1141/marco-de-platten/
http://www.witvistotaal.nl/1525/brasemkoorts-uit-de-oude-doos/

oh, and most commercial fishermen do not have quotas so the government have no idea what they have caught. It's happening all over Holland and not confined to the areas around the Haringvliet.

So where do I go next year?......[:H][:H]

Last edited:

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Very sad mate. Trouble is there hardly any small silvers to go at. Wait until the gates open with all the salt that could kill it completely. We are off Denmark next year but that didn't fish this year either.
Still thinking of the Gowna area in Ireland but I know it's bit fishing and don't know if I could do that for a week. Good luck for the future.

Last edited:

smithy68

Just got back from molengroet,first afternoon we fished my banker facing de buizerd.Three of us 5 hrs not a bite.The water was gin clear.Wednesday we fished the back water near geestmerambacht lake,We had six bream between us and a handfull of silvers.Fished the same pegs next day and IT got worse one bream each no silvers.Fished the mere at Anna palowna.Three dutch anglers and us three i had five perch the other five blanked.Moved to the harbour in Schagen.I had over 100 fish for 45lb mostly silvers i had three good bream.I Fished the pole at 8 mtrs.Corn,worm,expanders.Last day back on the same pegs had about 70lb 170 fish.5 bream,some skimmers mostly roach with a 2 pounder bonus roach.friends fished the tip not as good but plenty of bites.One catching a Zander on the worm.Met the Chairman and his brother good lads.Hope they go to the harbour seems to be the only place fishing.

spudnudd

Originally posted by emmaemma

So where do I go next year?......[:H][:H]
Martin the only place i can sugest is the red light area in Amsterdam i've heard it on the grapevine that a lot of guys caught and they had an itchy feeling they would[:0][:D][:D][:T]

smithy68

Yeah billy we prebaited the back water two nights.Ann palowna pegs are fished most days so we didn't.Back to the usual dates next year.

Chairman

Just back from a week in Molengroat with my brother staying at the Hotel. Comfortable room although missed a hot breakfast given the colder weather.Limited bait storage but given temperatures were only about 13 degrees didn't matter too much. No rain in the week , amazingly , but cold easterly wind every day which didn't help the fishing.
First stop after a relaxing 1 hour 20 minute drive on fantastic roads (no potholes) to the Hotel was the nearby Nipro Tackle shop where Richard was very helpful, gave us 4 suggestions and printed maps for these venues and also donated 1 tub of tiny Redworms to try . Irresistible for the Bream was his phrase! Needless to say Bream were very few and far between in the week, most 5 in one day but plenty of quality Roach around to liven things up.

We float fished the Cut off for the first 2 days ,near the Hotel leading into the big Lake Geesterameer . 5 feet deep with comfortable swims sheltered from the wind. Plenty of skimmers and Roach on Worm, caster or corn but only 5 bream in the 2 days. Tried Geesterameer ,fishing the feeder from the deeper bottom end on 2 days after prebaiting the night before on both occasions but again only 2 Bream between us . I blanked on the 2nd day with nothing feeding in the 12 feet of clear water. Cold easterly wind both days didn't help. Maybe the Bream were miles out in the middle where it'd about 20 feet deep. Divers on the Lake told us they hadn't seen any Bream around. Some excitement however when my brother caught a 3 lb Rainbow Trout -that was followed in by a huge Pike about 20lbs clearly visible in the crystal clear water. How did that Trout get in the Lake I wonder?

Met up with Smithy 68 and his mates in the Hotel,who recommended we fish the Harbour in Schagen , some 5 miles north of the Hotel. Not sure we fished the same pegs as they did , group of older Traveller's living in Caravans right behind the mooring stage where we fished were friendly enough and no bother apart from their little dog who kept us on our toes all day with his running up and down between us looking for a fish to eat! Not a bite for 5 hours before the fish suddenly came on the feed about 4 o clock. Then fish a cast for the last 2 hours with plenty of good Roach on maggot /corn / worm but again no Bream . Pike/ Zander trouble perhaps ?

Fished the Canal near Nieuwe Niedorp ,lovely spot about 8 feet deep with car parked behind us . Again ,plenty of Roach but no sign of any Bream. Canal started to flow after a few hours , some boat traffic too and the fish went off the feed ,never to return in the same numbers.

Last day saw us on the Saskevaart canal near the Hotel , sheltering from a gale force Easterly wind at the junction with the cut off. This produced 5 Bream and a small carp ,but the Bream never got their heads down. The Canal flowed both directions during the day , levels rose and fell all day by abut 4 inches. Again Roach and the occasional Rudd providing some sport.

In summary , a relaxing weeks fishing with easy access, venues all less than 5 miles from the Hotel and many right on the doorstep, car next to our swims almost every day making for comfortable ffishing for those not able to walk long distances . Only drawback, the disturbance from the many dogs at the big Lake , constant stream of dog walkers / runners and even divers . Just wish the Bream, which go to 8lbs in this Lake, had been as interested in our ground bait as the Dogs !

Probably going back next year with a few friends in June when ,armed with our knowledge of this area , we hope to do a lot better!

Alkmaar is only 4 miles from Molengroat and well worth visiting as it's a beautiful Town ,like a mini Amsterdam in every way . Packed with bars , restaurants, stunning architecture, guided canal trips around the Town -it more than makes up for the limited catering available at the Hotel. Don't miss it if you select Molengroat for your next Dutch fishing adventure.

explosive

Site Supporter
Chairman, this is my experience of about 6 to 7 years ago the powers that be decided to close the lock gates to prevent water from entering and leaving the big lake (Geestmerambacht) solely to clear the water over time so Trout could be introduced and for cleaner water for the swimmers. I don't think it was very successful though in that respect, but what did happen as the water cleared, the bream, which had been caught in many numbers disappeared, never to return as before, they do turn up now and again if you are lucky, but not lb100 plus bags like before.

The times i fished it was at the southern end as the car park, is closer to the waters edge. Over the 10 years of visiting Molengroet Hotel. The topography of the lake has changed, barriers have been installed and bankside weed has overgrown most of the swims indicating a lack of anglers. It has now been innundated with dogs/owners/runners/ swimmers/noisy kids/ even the army has put in appearance now and again, plus regular visits from the police as this car park is known for its drug dealing, apparently!. MY VEHICLE HAS BEEN SEARCHED TWICE.

For me history shows that the feeder is not the best method to fish Geestmerambacht. Pole at about 13 metres, fixed waggler or sliding float, bait on the bottom, worm is good, ground bait.

To the south west of Schagen is lake Schagerwiel, it holds Bream, Carp,Rudd, Roach, Perch etc. in my opinion it is underfished. Park your vehicle in the swimming bath car park ( Recreatiebad de Wiel) walk through to the concrete hard and fish from there, room for 3 anglers.

If you have not done so! give Dirkshorn a go.