Whooped by wind again on short session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well for the second week in a row glorious mid week weather had given way to proper windy weekend weather so I was back down the Thames today for another session of getting blown about. Had originally planned to fish tomorrow as have family commitments this afternoon but the wind is due even worse tomorrow and locations would be limited by matches so decided to go for a short session today instead. One blessing today was that whilst very strong the wind was at least an upstream southerly opposed to last weekends downstream northerly so I decided to go back to sandford opposite the meadows again. I decided to pick a swim I discovered last season and had a few good sessions in across September and October with a couple of them bringing comfortable double figure roach bags as thought knowing it would least give me a fighting chance against the wind but even with it being the right direction it was just too strong to fish properly.

Started fishing about 8.30 on stick and maggot and had a bit over half an hour of bleak, chublet and dace before going onto waggler and hemp. As of probably next weekend I’ll go onto hemp sooner but I like to give it a bit longer early season and it paid off as up to 10 I had about 10 roach admittedly very small ones which is often the case first couple weeks of the season. From that point onwards though the wind just became unbearable and I just had to chop and change through methods nicking a few fish here and there despite it being clear there were plenty fish there if only it had been possible to present a bait properly. I couldnt get the stick out far enough or to run properly and I couldn’t stop the waggler from being swamped or dragged of line and couldn’t even get a feeder to land in the place twice let alone the floats which were also hard to see at range as far sun hit the waves (the fish won’t come close into the pike pit weed bed in this swim) so it really was a struggle. Had to pack up at 1 anyway due to the aforementioned family commitments (which have now been cancelled typically!) but tbh I doubt I’d have lasted until 3.30 like I normally would anyway as was just getting windier. Ended up with about 20 roach and at least as many other fish made up mostly of a pretty even mix of dace, chublet and bleak save for a perch, a silver bream and a gudgeon so probably 45 fish all in . Everything was very small today which isn’t unusual for early season but I’m sure I’d had caught a better stamp if the wind hadn’t messed up presentation but as it was I probably got not a lot more than about 4lb. Was so frustrating as reckon id have easily doubled number of roach if I could have stayed on the waggler and whilst I wouldn’t have caught the sort of bags I’d expect from next month if I’d fished a full session like usual I reckon I’d have hit double figures as can’t believe better ones wouldn’t have shown to better presentation. Was clearly a lot of fish there as the pike were about and at one point I had a prolonged tussle with a real beast by my standards of well into double figures. But you can’t do much about the weather and at least it wasn’t cold this week. Is quite promising that hemp is working a little bit already so as next week sees us hit July I reckon if the weather allows a good bag could be had in the right place.

Barely seems worth going through the tackle today again but in short most fish fell to waggler and hemp with stick and maggot next most successful then feeder and maggot then stick and hemp. Loose feed was just hemp with an initial groundbaiting on so natural river (usually I just use this as a binder but forgot the black roach) and through the feeder I tried all sorts of combinations of maggots, hemp and groundbait.

My grandad was with me again and he won’t float fish in all but perfect conditions these days due to various bits of him being broken so spent the whole time on the feeder. He had probably 30 fish made up of dace, chublet, silver bream, perch and bleak for maybe 3lb although did lose a decent fish at one point.

All in all for the second weekend in a row it felt like a potentially decent session by first fortnight standards had been ruined by the weather but at least it does seem the fish are feeding well just need better conditions so to be able to more and better ones. Bit annoying that the family commitments were cancelled as well as could have battled on for another couple hours. However next weekend sees the arrival of July that usually signifies the start of getting double figures Roach bags and whilst it probably falls too early in July to guarantee that (ideally needs to be about a week into the month) given hemp has already started to work for small fish if the weather allows it should be possible to get amongst the better ones and in good numbers by then and maybe do a good bag. Itching to get back in my favourite swim on the sandford old channel now so may try get in that next weekend but probably a long shot on a Saturday but will see. Will definitely take a day off sometime the following week to try it though as by then it will have definitely started fishing properly and can pick the day weather wise a bit better then. In the mean time I was originally thinking of having a few hours somewhere tomorrow morning still before the worst of the wind but tbh it was bad enough today that if it’s due worse tomorrow not sure it’s worth losing sleep for! Depends what else is going on I guess maybe have a little dabble on the canal instead.

Really was nothing picture worthy today but thought I better include a couple so one of the swim in a brief reprieve in the wind and a little roach that was definitely under stamp but unfortunately only slightly so.

1656166391626.jpeg

1656166410953.jpeg

Last edited:

tincatim

Site Supporter
Like you say, nothing you can do about the weather. I think I’d rather get soaked than fish in gusty wind.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Like you say, nothing you can do about the weather. I think I’d rather get soaked than fish in gusty wind.
Yeah just so frustrating that it’s been beautiful on most weekdays recently but rubbish at the weekends! And yeah I’d rather sit in drizzle all day or cop a short downpour than get blown about like today. Tbf today I way was quite sheltered but the river was really copping it wasn’t far short of white caps on it given it was wind against flow. Thank good it was against the flow though or it would have been totally unfishable. Well unless it was off our backs would have been fine then.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hope you get the weather window soon mate. It was properly windy on the match today as well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hope you get the weather window soon mate. It was properly windy on the match today as well.
Me too mate I’d quite frustrating but guess better bid early season whilst the fishing is slow anyway than from next month onwards when it should be in its prime.

And yeah not surprised the match was tough thought it bold to organise it so early in the season as it was then get a low river and loads of wind added in and I feared the worst for you guys. Think anyone that cleared about 5lb did very well. A nicer day in a couple weeks time would have no doubt produced multiple good catches but that’s the fishing I guess!

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Good for you getting out there even in adverse conditions and catching (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good for you getting out there even in adverse conditions and catching (y)
Thanks mate

The river season is so short considering it’s usually spends most the second half freezing or flooded so first half I try to get out whenever I can first half. Hopeful for a better month next month as along with September and October July is one of the best months here usually so fingers crossed for the same this year 🤞🏻

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Me too mate I’d quite frustrating but guess better bid early season whilst the fishing is slow anyway than from next month onwards when it should be in its prime.

And yeah not surprised the match was tough thought it bold to organise it so early in the season as it was then get a low river and loads of wind added in and I feared the worst for you guys. Think anyone that cleared about 5lb did very well. A nicer day in a couple weeks time would have no doubt produced multiple good catches but that’s the fishing I guess!
Not many Roach caught at all today, apparently a couple of weeks as you say before they start to show properly.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not many Roach caught at all today, apparently a couple of weeks as you say before they start to show properly.
Yeah going off match results it seems the trent is similar to the Thames and Avon in that they don’t show in any numbers or of any size until July. Tbf there’s been more about this month than usual for this early probably would have had a quite a few today were it not for the wind but they’re small this early. Probably average a couple ounces atm but in the next week or so I’d expect that to double to near the quarter pound mark and they should increase in numbers a lot as well. No idea why but it’s same every year seem to switch on between a couple days and a week into July.

JohnClarke1

As an ageing bod myself with various aches and pains I can understand why your grandad often fishes ledger! What bait does he use? The few times I've tried ledgered hemp or tare it hasn't worked, though you'd think with the day going on hemp would build up on the deck and the roach would start hoovering, specially if you stopped loose feeding. The trouble with maggot of course is that it attracts the micro-fish, though I see that at the Littlemore A.S. matches at Sandford they sometimes win on maggot, though hemp and tares normally win of course.

I notice you say the best months are July, Sept and Oct, but don't mention August. Is that because of the boats?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As an ageing bod myself with various aches and pains I can understand why your grandad often fishes ledger! What bait does he use? The few times I've tried ledgered hemp or tare it hasn't worked, though you'd think with the day going on hemp would build up on the deck and the roach would start hoovering, specially if you stopped loose feeding. The trouble with maggot of course is that it attracts the micro-fish, though I see that at the Littlemore A.S. matches at Sandford they sometimes win on maggot, though hemp and tares normally win of course.

I notice you say the best months are July, Sept and Oct, but don't mention August. Is that because of the boats?
He uses maggots, casters and worms when the bits allow and bread and corn when they don’t. I don’t think hemp or tares work as a static bait think they to be falling through or trundling through the water is why the work so well on the float. Tbh float massively out fishes the feeder the vast majority of the time on the Thames unless you got the conditions right for it or land upon a shoal of something. The vast majority of matches are won with float rod or pole.

August can go either way. If we have enough rain and you get a dull day or chilly day or even just a strangely quiet nice day that sees not many people about it can be as good as the other months. But often it sees a very low river from being the back half of the summer which when combined with the peak in walkers, boaters, swimmers etc due to it being the peak of the school holidays it can be hard work.