whoo thunder and lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Whoo! we gots ourselves a storm more or less overhead at the moment, a bit of a rareity normally they bypass us and we hear them in the distance. I'm typing this is virtually darkness with only the light of the monitor to see the keys by.
We've had some good rainstorms today too. Theres no wind or breeze to speak off and the sky's a very funny colour sort of yellowy/brown similar to a bruise as its dying down.[:0]

Just had another good flash with a very poor follow up with the banging.[:D]

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Really enjoy sitting on the clifftops at night, when on holiday, watching a storm roll in from the sea, looks brilliant, dramatic.[:T]
Cant beat it.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Coo getting some good rolling cracks now I'm supposed to be dropping Chris off at Rushden, and then calling in on Genus9 at Wellingborough on the way back although I dont know whether we'll be going now

parcan31

Born again md'er
same storm here to,im loving the lightning,and bluey a storm at sea is brilliant as you say dramatic

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
and i'm still bloody jealous, can't remember the last time we had a really good storm round here [:(]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I LOVE a good storm with thunder & lightning !

I live about half a mile from the coast, and my old Dad always reckoned that the storm would remain while the tide was coming in, then go out to sea with the ebbing tide.

He seemed to be right, but for the life of me, I can't fathom out WHY !
[:)]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by bream dream

about 20 mins ago trogg

Where???

I'd been sat here all day waiting for a storm and one never turned up in Stafford, then again i drove back from Seighford in brilliant warm sunshine but as soon as i got to the newport road at Derrington it was hammering it down and according to Dian it had been for over half an hour (theres about half a mile as the crow flies between the two villages!)

Col7777

I read somewhere that when you get a lightning flash count 1..2..3.. in seconds, so if you got to 4 it was about 4 miles away and so on.

When I was a kid I was scared of thunder and lightning but one day I was staying with my Gran and she cured me.
She said, "Why are you scared, it's only god moving his furniture," then with the next loud thunder she would say, "Ooh that must have been something big," and when the thunder was quieter she would say, "Ah, I bet that was a stool or something."
Then we spent the whole of the storm guessing what furniture he was moving, I thought it was great fun.

I have used that when my kids were young and it worked. [:)]

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
You've convinced me Col.[;)]I remember one Sunday afternoon fishing on a local pond,it was a warm day slightly cloudy but no rain.Thunder was rolling round the sky some distance away, lasted about 3 hours.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Well just before 12-00 today as I took Sheryl round to the Overstone Manor for her days work, I got to see the some results of last nights storm. On the way into Sywell there had been several places where the road had been flooded, sometimes for several yards, and turning into Overstone itself it seemed to have fared a little better with only the odd extra large puddle or two.
Luckily all the water had gone but it still left the markings of where it had been. As I carried on along the back roads round ot pick up the grandkids there were still signs of where the water had cascaded down the road.
So we had quite a bit of rain last night. Apparently it woke Li'l Ryan up but Li'l Matty snored and slept through it all totally oblivious to it all.[:D]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Col7777

I read somewhere that when you get a lightning flash count 1..2..3.. in seconds, so if you got to 4 it was about 4 miles away and so on.

Isn't it more like 5 seconds per mile? Sound travels at about 343 metres per second. At least that's what I THINK they taught us at school.

So if you've only counted to four, that lightening was a LOT closer than you thought!

[:0][:D]

Last edited:

Col7777

You are probably right, I read it somewhere and it was a long time ago, plus you got taught at school, I didn't go much.

Also I count slow. [:)]

zenith20

we haven't had a good storm in a looooong time! I love the sound on Thunder and the rain it brings with it!

Vince G

Hop Along
Well it' alright for you lot sitting in your lovely warm houses looking out, I was out carping for the week and that storm hit us big time. I have to say it was the only time all week I sat in my bivvy praying NOT to get a run, I wasn't going out in that thunder and lightning for anything and I certainly wasn't going to be waving around 12ft of carbon.

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
I don't think you'd have to be waving it about Vince,(that doesn't sound right does it?).A Lightning strike on your rod would
probably obliterate your bivvy,along with yourself.RIP Maggot Drowner,he was a good bloke,on his Birthday as well.[:C]

Status
Not open for further replies.