Who Is Getting Tested?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I watch with interest the daily briefing just to follow the statistics (the journalists' questions are not worth listening to). I am left wondering who exactly is getting tested and why.

Yesterday was a prime example of why I am curious. Over 200,000 tests carried out yet only 1800 positive. Are many people now just asking for a test out of curiosity rather than because they have the stated symptoms? Are some people asking for tests on multiple occasions because they are slightly paranoid?

Yet the experts tell us that the number of people infected is likely to be higher than the number confirmed with a test. Why are those people not getting tested? Does that mean they are showing no symptoms? In that case is this virus less deadly than we were at first told (1% mortality of those infected)?

I read that in Italy some scientists are already saying that the virus has mutated to a much less lethal form and that it is clinically non existent.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-no-longer-clinically-exists-in-italy-top-doctor-says-11998608

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
They not reliable. One day you could be positive next negative and third day positive again.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My wife mentioned that the test count is 2 test per person - the test consists of two swabs, one up the nostril and one to the back of the throat. Each is classed as one test.

If this is the case then 200,000 tests are actually 100,000 people tested

Bulldog

Site Supporter
My Son had a test sent to him , its 1 swab to do bother throat and nostril so make sure you do the throat first :sick:

crackatoa

Site Supporter
My wife mentioned that the test count is 2 test per person - the test consists of two swabs, one up the nostril and one to the back of the throat. Each is classed as one test.

If this is the case then 200,000 tests are actually 100,000 people tested
Like the gloves that were counted as individual pieces of PPE, rather than a pair.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
add in the tests that were sent to other countries for confirmation and never returned

plus the fact that the numbers tested dont seem to be a government quote very much now

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Like the gloves that were counted as individual pieces of PPE, rather than a pair.

Thats always been the case - buy a box of gloves and it says 100 on the box, not 50 pairs

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From what I've heard and read, many testing stations are underutilised - you can only test those that want to be tested, if people don't turn up you can't test them

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you ever seen a box of latex gloves that says 50 pairs..... no, because they all say 100 gloves, quite simply, gloves have always been counted singly. If you want to bash the incompetence of the government, use something meaningful.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Government Ministers that appear on the TV dont seem to be tested much

though it seems they are close to a hotbed of the bug

The Runner

Site Supporter
I think there's too much focus on whether arbitrary targets for number of tests carried out have been met, or not, or how.
Surely what's more important is that the results of the tests are used intelligently and that there's a working system in place to follow up and trace contacts of those testing positive. There's probably still too many daily new cases for this to be done effectively here I think.
We aren't in the position of say, Hong Kong or Singapore or South Korea who already had these systems planned and ready to go after the experience of SARS. Whether we should have done is another question.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Well daughters Boyfriend is going for a covid test at 3pm today.
He got sent home from work last night with bad head and bad chest ?‍♂️. He said they sent him home because his lass is a nurse and maybe she has give him covid.
she not happy as she now has to stop off On her 3rd of 5 night shifts.
She phone her boss and both agreed he hasn’t got normal Covid symptoms and because he’s in a house with a nhs staff nurse they allowing him to go to hospital for test to speed everything up and if negative she can go back to work ASAP. She got to stop off tonight and already short staffed But being a committed nhs nurse she said if test come back late tonight she will go in at any time.